4 10 inch subs or 2 12 inch subs

O noez!!!! Not teh underpowerz!!!!111 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
who the fuk are u....i said they would be underpowered, not that it would hurt them. Why would u wanna underpower 2 subs, when u could give one sub recommened power or a lil bit more.

ah, didnt know that.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
Don't believe that because my friend has 6 truebass 10's doing a 148 at the headrest with the termlab meter and he peaked at 36 hrtz.

who the fuk are u....i said they would be underpowered, not that it would hurt them. Why would u wanna underpower 2 subs, when u could give one sub recommened power or a lil bit more.
A sub's RMS power rating is supposed to be 'maximum' power handling, not a 'recommended' power level, or even what the subs 'need'. There's nothing magic that happens once you your amp's power output level reaches the power handling of a sub.
There are plenty of good reasons to 'underpower' 2 subs instead of running full power to a single one. Provided you can keep box size (and tuning, if ported) the same between the two setups, the 2 sub setup will have more output (~3 dB do to acoustic coupling) off the same power, and will suffer from less compression. In the case of only having 500W available (as in this thread), running a pair of subs will go a long way in getting the most output possible from that power.

99% of the time 'underpowering' is mentioned on this forum, it is in a completely irrelevant and misunderstood context. Your case is no different.

by the looks of this post and everything ive heard you say within the post you might as well go with whatever setup looks the best to you because you know very little about car audio. ive had mulitiple single 10's 12's and dual 8's setups that would blow away 2 l7 15's or jl w7's. so really i think you need to try different brands or something. i personally would suggest 2 dd 1508's, 1 dd 3512, 1 dd 9512 if you are looking for spl, or 1 Fi Q 12" tuned tuned low. Its all about the enclosure. dont stick something in your trunk if you dont have the airspace. its not efficient and in the end you wont be as satisfied.

by the looks of this post and everything ive heard you say within the post you might as well go with whatever setup looks the best to you because you know very little about car audio. ive had mulitiple single 10's 12's and dual 8's setups that would blow away 2 l7 15's or jl w7's. so really i think you need to try different brands or something. i personally would suggest 2 dd 1508's, 1 dd 3512, 1 dd 9512 if you are looking for spl, or 1 Fi Q 12" tuned tuned low. Its all about the enclosure. dont stick something in your trunk if you dont have the airspace. its not efficient and in the end you wont be as satisfied.
I know a lil bit about car audio, if you were talking to me that is, and your right it is all about the enclosure im just going back and forth on some different ideas in my head and it 's not about "What looks best to me" It's about "what sounds best to me" get it? U say u have had multiple and single and duals that "blow away" L7's, W7's and the like, but my friend, that's is your opinoin and your opinion only. Whatever "Blows one system away" Is relative to the eyes and ears of the beholder. I have witnessed a lot of guys with really nice setups battle and let me tell you if the crowd is usually the judge or the witness they always go for the hometown favorite or the guy that's playing the hot new track from lil wayne. Not off SQL or SPL, at least that's what its like where im from, cant speak for anybody else and I just wanted to have some fun on the board and get an idea what everybody has had experience with and what they thought about it

and no i really dont have the sufficient airspace to go with the 4 10's (I have a lincoln ls) so i'm going with 2 12's guys I have another question........What is the difference if a go with a partition inside my enclosure or no partition at all somone please explain to me what sounds best. I know most go with the partition in order for the subs not to have any crosstalk but tell me the likes and dislikes

I know a lil bit about car audio, if you were talking to me that is, and your right it is all about the enclosure im just going back and forth on some different ideas in my head and it 's not about "What looks best to me" It's about "what sounds best to me" get it? U say u have had multiple and single and dual that "blow away" L7's, W7's and the like, but my friend, that's is your opinoin and your opinion only. Whatever "Blows one system away" Is relative to the eyes and ears of the beholder. I have witnessed a lot of guys with really nice setups battle and let me tell you if the crowd is usually the judge or the witness they always go for the homtown favorite or the guy that's playing the hot new track from lil wayne. Not off SQL or SPL, at least that's what its like where im from, can speak for anybody else and I just wanted to have some fun on the board and get an idea what everybody has had experience with and what they thought about it
That's true some of the time.... But just because you're the hometown favorite, doesn't mean you are gonna be the victor. ( I know this through personal experience - even though I haven't loss yet in streetbeating ).

I had (1) 12" JBL 1000 in Probox Rocks ( Superbass ) ported enclosure & this guy in a dodge intrepid had (4) 12" CVRs sealed... It was like the biggest thing on Grambling State University's campus for Spring Fest. ( Beat-Competition ). I pretty much was the under dog... But killed his A$$. We was both equally known for our systems

1) He was the " can't noone touch him " guy

2) I was the " I can't believe he only has 1 12 " guy

Seemed like 1 sub with space to move will be the victor over 4 subs with no space...

* What I'm tryin' to say - It's not always about the amount of subs - but the enclosure built, space provided & utilized *

PS - Just cause you have more cone area doesn't mean it's gonna be louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That's true some of the time.... But just because you're the hometown favorite, doesn't mean you are gonna be the victor. ( I know this through personal experience - even though I haven't loss yet in streetbeating ).
I had (1) 12" JBL 1000 in Probox Rocks ( Superbass ) ported enclosure & this guy in a dodge intrepid had (4) 12" CVRs sealed... It was like the biggest thing on Grambling State University's campus for Spring Fest. ( Beat-Competition ). I pretty much was the under dog... But killed his A$$. We was both equally known for our systems

1) He was the " can't noone touch him " guy

2) I was the " I can't believe he only has 1 12 " guy

Seemed like 1 sub with space to move will be the victor over 4 subs with no space...

* What I'm tryin' to say - It's not always about the amount of subs - but the enclosure built, space provided & utilized *

PS - Just cause you have more cone area doesn't mean it's gonna be louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
your exactly right about that i just got a little pissed about that guy saying i dont know anything about car audio.......im definitly not an expert in any shape, form, or function but i have been around car audio since the 6th grade and im 29 years old now. That's what the long drawn out speech was for, i don't like anybody bashing anybody else's abilities or knowledge and yes u are right, it's not always about the amount of subs, its the enclosure built

and that dude bobista or bobtista or whatever his name is, is prolly "blowing other systems away" in his own mind cause who ever really wants to admit that their system gets outplayed or drowned out, nobody i know.

4 10smore cone area

more cone area=louder

nuff said
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

In your case, you should go with a pair of twelves. Why?

1. You will be able to send more power to each woofer. You'd only be sending ~125 watts to each ten. Grossly underpowering subs usually won't bring them anywhere near their potential

2. Ported boxes are typically more efficient.

3. You'd likely be louder (I'm not sure if that's what you're going for, though)

This advice does somewhat depend on what kind of drivers you're using and what you're going for. If you're building a SQ application, then a sealed box might be more on target. Maybe I missed it, but what equipment are you planning on running?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.