4 10 inch subs or 2 12 inch subs

mscott1979
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm having a tough time deciding, either i'm going with 2 dvc 12's wired in series to make a 4 ohm load or 4 svc 10's wired in series to make a 4 ohm load. Which would give me more output as far as spl goes? By the way im using a amp rated at 500 rms not much power i know and i plan on building a ported box for the 2 12's and a sealed box for the 4 10's so what do you guys think?

I've had 4 10" sealed JL Audio 10W6AE's underneath my back seat and people thought I had 2 ported 12's. It was amazing the amount of bass that they produced. I had them downfire with about a 1" gap between subs and the carpet. That would be my suggestion. You will also have a lot more cone area with the 4 10's.

really depends on the enclosure no particular size is gonna get lower its all about the box you put them in and if you can fit a larger enclosure i would suggest 4 10's

Depends alot on the woofer...the 10's would likely get louder, but the 12's will get lower. Personally I'd go with the 12's, I love lows
Why will the 12s get lower? Because they are larger?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

wow. This is going to be fun. Rashaddd, I recommend leaving, forgetting about your original username and trying again. You will be flamed. Extremely hard in less than 12 minutes.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

wow. This is going to be fun. Rashaddd, I recommend leaving, forgetting about your original username and trying again. You will be flamed. Extremely hard in less than 12 minutes.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
ha ha

really depends on the enclosure no particular size is gonna get lower its all about the box you put them in and if you can fit a larger enclosure i would suggest 4 10's
im not going to be able to put the 10's in a big box because of trunk space, as a matter of fact it will be .91 cu ft per chamber....i have a lincoln ls. On the other hand, with the 12's i could build a decent sized enclosure and it would definitly be ported, maybe like 2.5 cu ft. I was also wondering with 500 watts rms would roughly 125 watts per sub if i was to go with the tens, would that be enough for them or would 250 watts per sub for the 12's be better.

u need some very effiencient subs with that amount of power. The 12s and 10s are both pry gonna be underpowered.

what kind of amp is it. Can u afford another one.

if u cant get another amp, i would go with one 12 in a nice big ported box, should get decently loud and not be underpwoered

kenwood kac 9103d 500 watts rms @ 4 ohms 900 @ 2 ohms but I don't run it in 2 ohm mode because at higher volume levels the amp has a tendency to go in and out of protection mode, but the amp does have some pretty decent power. The 12's that i have now, it pushes them just a wee bit harder than they should be pushed. They are svc 400 watts rms and the amp is wired at 2 ohms. I don't want to wire them up to 8 ohms thats why im replacing them with dvc subs which will give me more wiring options, but i was thinking "hey i could go with 4 svc 10's since im swithching it up anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.