300amp fuse with 0 gauge wire?

darkhunter139
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
PA
I have a 300 amp fuse that came with my kicker 0 gauge wiring kit

My alt is only 80 amps and my amp has 3 30 amp fuses. I am guessing I need a smaller one? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

no, the inline fuse protects the wire so it doesn't matter what size it is as long as the wire can handle it. Since the amp has fuses you'll be fine with the 300A fuse inline

My alt is only 80 amps and my amp has 3 30 amp fuses. I am guessing I need a smaller one? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
No...you are fusing the wire...it is there to protect the line in case of grounding.

If the line grounds, you will have an explosive battery!

^^^and you might as well use the one that you have:D

edit: what penn said^^^^

I think Im a bit overkill when it comes to fusing, I have a fused batt terminal at 350A on 0/1GA and then a fused Distro block with 150A(sub) 4ga / 60A (mids) 4ga. But then again, I like my car and dont want to see it go up in smoke!

if your amp has 3 blade fuses 30 amp each than you can use a 90 amp anl fuse on your 0 awg power run

are you running another amp or just one amp with 3 blades 30 amp each

if your amp has 3 blade fuses 30 amp each than you can use a 90 amp anl fuse on your 0 awg power run

are you running another amp or just one amp with 3 blades 30 amp each
Im going to be running a kicker 350.4 eventually

I am only going to use two of its channels most likely though

Im going to be running a kicker 350.4 eventually
I am only going to use two of its channels most likely though

so if you are only having 1 run of 0 awg from front to back and it will be powering the 90 fused amp , add the fusing on the kicker to the 90 and the total of those numbers is the size of the anl fuse you will need when kicker is added

so if you are only having 1 run of 0 awg from front to back and it will be powering the 90 fused amp , add the fusing on the kicker to the 90 and the total of those numbers is the size of the anl fuse you will need when kicker is added
fuse the wire...not the amps

i always add the fuses of amps running off a power wire and use the fuse size the amps add up to 18" or less off under hood battery pos post

So in reality you are fusing the wire, just at a lower Amperage which is safer as they will pop earlier, but if you have a ground it's gonna pop a 150a fuse just as fast as a 50A fuse within few millisecs that is.

Basing your + wire fuse off your amps is unnecessary, and if you don't know what you're doing, could actually be a problem (if someone doesn't know better and places too small of a g wire on an amp and uses the amp as the fuse measurement for the wire).

Fuse based off the wire you are using. Using the fuse that came with the kit is perfectly fine. 0 g can handle 325 amperes easy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.