3 way setup question

Participant count
  • Participant list

GatorChevy

I am in the process of designing my next system and have a few questions. I want to run an all active 3-way setup up front. I haven't decided what speakers I want to go with. My plan for now is to run an Alpine nav head unit, a 4 channel amp for the mids and tweeters and a 2 channel for the midbass. I want the mids/tweeters in custom kick panels and a 8" in the doors for midbass. I also have an AudioControl dm-810. My question is how to properly get the signal from the head unit to the amps and then speakers. I will be running a component set for the mids and highs. The deck I will be getting has 3 preamp outputs. Would I use all three for this setup even though all the speakers will be up front or would I use the front preamp and use y adapters to get the signals to the 2 amps? Also would it matter if the interconnects from the head unit are going to the the "rear" input on the 4 channel even though the speakers will all be up front. One last thing would I still use passive crossover with the comps since I will be using the dm-810 an run an active setup.

Are you trolling? Man my brain hurts.. thank god i'm drunk. If not you're in over your head. You got a 10ch dsp.. you don't need y-splitters or passive xovers. I don't know... ouch..

I am in the process of designing my next system and have a few questions. I want to run an all active 3-way setup up front. I haven't decided what speakers I want to go with. My plan for now is to run an Alpine nav head unit, a 4 channel amp for the mids and tweeters and a 2 channel for the midbass. I want the mids/tweeters in custom kick panels and a 8" in the doors for midbass. I also have an AudioControl dm-810. My question is how to properly get the signal from the head unit to the amps and then speakers. I will be running a component set for the mids and highs. The deck I will be getting has 3 preamp outputs. Would I use all three for this setup even though all the speakers will be up front or would I use the front preamp and use y adapters to get the signals to the 2 amps? Also would it matter if the interconnects from the head unit are going to the the "rear" input on the 4 channel even though the speakers will all be up front. One last thing would I still use passive crossover with the comps since I will be using the dm-810 an run an active setup.
You need someone who can simplify this for you and patiently address every question, even the questions you have yet to ask because you don't yet know. I believe I am the person for that job. I've successfully tackled the following points you mentioned:

- How to choose speakers for a 3-way + subwoofer system

- How to make them fit and how to aim them

- How to get the signals routed from the head unit all the way to the speakers

- I've got the answer to your question regarding passive crossovers

If you believe you would benefit from my help and you're ready to get started now, reach out to me.

Barry Schanz

It's a little late but I'll help you anyway.

So you want to flatten your EQ and turn off any bass boost, etc from your HU. After that's done, send all three preamp outputs from your deck into the line level inputs on the audiocontrol unit. Don't think of the RCA outputs as front or rear, just think of them as output 1,2,3,4, etc.

After running RCA's to the audiocontrol inputs, send RCA's from your audiocontrol outputs 1 and 2 to your 4ch amp. It'll either say 1 and 2 or front and rear on the 4ch amp. Just pick 1 and 2 or front. Hook 1-2 or front as your tweeters and run speaker wiring to your tweeters accordingly.

Run a second pair of RCA's from your audiocontrol outputs 3-4 to your 4ch amp inputs 3-4 or rear. Wire your midrange to that amp accordingly.

Run the third pair of RCA's from your audiocontrol outputs 5-6 to your 2ch amp inputs. Wire that amp to your midbass.

Ditch the crossovers for the speakers since the audiocontrol will let you run active.

You don't have to make channels 1-2 for tweeters, 3-4 for midrange, etc, it's just the way that I like to do it. You can switch them around however you'd like. Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.