3 way component set sq.

Mck76

CarAudio.com Newbie
Been looking and researching what I can on 3 way sets or piece it together. Wanting as efficient as possible. 90db +
Looked at Morel, CDT, B2 references and Focal flax.
Most likely be running it active as the first piece I've bought was an audio control DM810. Going to add a second set of mid bass as well. In the doors and the mid range/tweeter in the A Pillar/dash.
Should Hertz, Audison and possibly JL Audio be given a look? Trying to stay 600-1200 for all speakers. Undetermined 6 channel a/b amp.
I'd go 1990s Era to match the vehicle but amps are twice what I paid back in the day... mis that Era.
Thanks in advance.

I like my CDT speakers that Ive used and still have. There are quite a few using Audio Frogg in more of the SQ installs. Ive read that Hertz speakers were having some ticking sound issues that seem to be related to coils issues and some with the tinsel leads I believe. Scanspeak at Madisound, Seas are some favorites to building your own set to your liking, Dayton Audio, to only mention a few.
I do have a Zapco 6 ch that I would consider letting go within the lower 48 States for a reasonable offer if interested. Very lightly used and I still have box with specs. Just PM me

Offer him $700 shipped, you will love the sound.

Last edited:
If you're going active, I'd DIY the components and save some money. Dayton Reference of SB Acoustics for midbass. SB Acoustics make a couple nice tweeters, so does Peerless. Dayton, Peerless, Fountek, Aurasound, SB Acoustic all make good midrange drivers.

Stereo Integrity makes some nice independent drivers. I use their 6.5 and tweeter and love them. I’ve heard great things about their midrange as well. I thoroughly enjoy my SB Acoustics tweeters as well.

I bought a few sets of CDT 3 ways last year that I'm pretty happy with. I wouldn't pay MSRP on anything from them but they often have 40-50% off sale stuff which is going to be a solid value.

I'd also agree that if you're doing active crossover you'd do as well or better just checking madisound or partsexpress for raw drivers as opposed to paying the extra dough for the 3 way passive and mounting hardware buying an off-the-shelf kit.

Hello, I hope I’m not highjacking the thread, I’m in the process of putting a system together and I am wanting opinions on buying the woofers, mids, and tweeters separate as stated above, I am going with a set 6-1/2 woofers and tweeters in kick panels, a set of 6-1/2 woofer in the doors and a set of 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 mids with tweeters in the A pillars, are the speakers mentioned as good as the focals, audison, hertz, etc. I have looked at all of the ones mentioned but I’ve previously only heard of the daytons, my system will be active, I’m trying to decide which dsp to go with Alpine 09, minidsp then add Dirac, or the helix 12 channel, I’m sorta leaning toward alpine because of 16 channel out, it comes with remote and ease of use, I would like the mini with Dirac if it had more output channels, this will be my first experience with dsp and I have been out of the game for 20 years but have picked the bug/itch to build a sql system, luckily I have already got 10 amplifiers already which most are older but I do have a few newer RF 600bdcp and a 1500bdcp along with a newer alpine the rear are older RF and a few Hifonics before they went down hill

Hello, I hope I’m not highjacking the thread, I’m in the process of putting a system together and I am wanting opinions on buying the woofers, mids, and tweeters separate as stated above, I am going with a set 6-1/2 woofers and tweeters in kick panels, a set of 6-1/2 woofer in the doors and a set of 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 mids with tweeters in the A pillars, are the speakers mentioned as good as the focals, audison, hertz, etc. I have looked at all of the ones mentioned but I’ve previously only heard of the daytons, my system will be active, I’m trying to decide which dsp to go with Alpine 09, minidsp then add Dirac, or the helix 12 channel, I’m sorta leaning toward alpine because of 16 channel out, it comes with remote and ease of use, I would like the mini with Dirac if it had more output channels, this will be my first experience with dsp and I have been out of the game for 20 years but have picked the bug/itch to build a sql system, luckily I have already got 10 amplifiers already which most are older but I do have a few newer RF 600bdcp and a 1500bdcp along with a newer alpine the rear are older RF and a few Hifonics before they went down hill
I still have and run quite a bit of older amps.A/B and Class A. Ive had 20 year+ amplifiers still running strong/without leaking caps and have still out lasted some newer amplifiers Ive bought. Power today is on the Cheap and Quality Control is out the door for the majority. Use what you have. Even the old Optimus amps seem to serve well.

I wouldn't get hung up on spending into 1200$ component set. No reason you can't get Dayton or similar to sound just fine with DSP and good locations of the drivers.

Offer him $700 shipped, you will love the sound.
Have be careful and do a little research. There were a lot of that Brand that were Fake and not original.

He sells a ton online through his website and on DIYMA. He is really one of the nicest guys you can deal with on any order. And will work with you as well if any questions come up or issues. Bought from him already last year.

He sells a ton online through his website and on DIYMA. He is really one of the nicest guys you can deal with on any order. And will work with you as well if any questions come up or issues. Bought from him already last year.
Ive been on DIYMA for years, dont comment much on there. I have purchased on there . I have been to a few local meets in the past until a friend of mine moved and passed that was really into SQ. Im sure Mark new him well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...