3 Way active front stage - Speaker Placement/Location

Participant count
  • Participant list

jrobie79
10+ year member

Looking for suggestions on speaker placement for 3 way active setup front stage. I attached pictures of the doors, my proposed setup is to install everything in the doors.

Nearly impossible to install the mid-bass in the kick panels as they are made for really shallow 5-1/4" speakers. The stock tweeter pods are in the door sail areas (off axis driver side, less so on the passenger side), so I was thinking of installing everything in the doors. I can't get the mid-bass any lower than what is shown, because the window motor is located right there.

Equipment:

Subwoofer: Fi SSD 12"
Midbass: Anarchy 704
Midrange: Scan 10F
Tweeter: TBD
DSP: RF 3Sixty.3
Head Unit: DEH-80PRS

I read that some suggest putting the midranges in the kick panels, but I feel like being so low that wouldn't be ideal. I'm not opposed to trying to fabricate something out of fiberglass to put them next to the tweeters on the dash. Cutting the dash is out of the question at this point, but you can see in the picture the little panel below the dash is fair game, as well as the glovebox. Just want to make sure I'm not going to have phasing issues, or a tuning nightmare on my hands with the arrangement I'm thinking of.

Proposed Layout:

BMW3.png

Proposed Layout:

BMW2.png

Stock Interior:

BMW1.jpg

Looking for suggestions on speaker placement for 3 way active setup front stage. I attached pictures of the doors, my proposed setup is to install everything in the doors.

Nearly impossible to install the mid-bass in the kick panels as they are made for really shallow 5-1/4" speakers. The stock tweeter pods are in the door sail areas (off axis driver side, less so on the passenger side), so I was thinking of installing everything in the doors. I can't get the mid-bass any lower than what is shown, because the window motor is located right there.

Equipment:

Subwoofer: Fi SSD 12"
Midbass: Anarchy 704
Midrange: Scan 10F
Tweeter: TBD
DSP: RF 3Sixty.3
Head Unit: DEH-80PRS

I read that some suggest putting the midranges in the kick panels, but I feel like being so low that wouldn't be ideal. I'm not opposed to trying to fabricate something out of fiberglass to put them next to the tweeters on the dash. Cutting the dash is out of the question at this point, but you can see in the picture the little panel below the dash is fair game, as well as the glovebox. Just want to make sure I'm not going to have phasing issues, or a tuning nightmare on my hands with the arrangement I'm thinking of.

Proposed Layout:

View attachment 25941

Proposed Layout:

View attachment 25942

Stock Interior:

View attachment 25943
That looks like it would work just fine in those locations to me ..dont ruin your front stage by having speakers in rear ..only run subs in the rear....or trunk

Also try to angle your mids and highs slightly ...the sound should cross ... aim passenger side to more suit the driver and drivers side to more suit the passenger ...I use to use bore sight lasers to position mine they had little neo magnets on them and were really light weight that I'd attach to center of speaker grills for the aiming process .. then the rest can played with in time alignment....

Kicks are great for mids and tweets, I have had great success with kickpanel mounting those in several different vehicles and it would always be my first choice if possible. If you have the skills your idea should also work fine, though you'll have more difference in path length between L&R and your listening position to correct. Most important is to try to keep mids and tweets as close to each other as possible and ideally have the voice coil of each precisely the same distance from your listening position.

I also love those Anarchy woofers. Been running variants of that Wiggins design for well over a decade now and apart from being rather inefficient (as all linear motor technology woofers are) they're really solid performers.

Kicks are great for mids and tweets, I have had great success with kickpanel mounting those in several different vehicles and it would always be my first choice if possible. If you have the skills your idea should also work fine, though you'll have more difference in path length between L&R and your listening position to correct. Most important is to try to keep mids and tweets as close to each other as possible and ideally have the voice coil of each precisely the same distance from your listening position.

I also love those Anarchy woofers. Been running variants of that Wiggins design for well over a decade now and apart from being rather inefficient (as all linear motor technology woofers are) they're really solid performers.
Kicks are the best location if by yourself but add a passenger and watch your sound drop like a rock when the highs are blocked by things like legs ...or the first time someone's foot crashes into the fiberglass pods .... because they thought it was a foot rest

A very forward a pillar mid tweeter pod would be idea though ...and do the midbasd in the kicks as hispls suggested because the Soundwave would be wider with mid bass and not effected as much as mids and highs in the kicks ..but I'd still use a stronger than normal grill ...usually modifying a waffle grill and covering in grill cloth will do the trick....this way your getting more exact path lengths ...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.