2014 Ford Focus Titanium: Stereo Upgrade Disaster..need help

tcwave

Hi Guys,

I am looking for suggestions on how to get good clean sound out of my system. I've spent thousands and it sounds worse then factory. Very disappointing.

The sound is very compressed, digitized. The bass is sloppy and inaccurate.

Installed

2014 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium with Premium Sound & SYNC

Factory Sony AMP

JL 500/1 AMP

Kenwood KAC-8406 Amp

AudioControl LCQ-1 6 Channel Line Output Converter LOC with Equalizer & AccuBASS

Focal Access 165AS 6-1/2" 2-Way Component System (Fronts & Rears)

Massive Audio CAP4 (Capacity 4 Farad)

2 reputable Audio shops are telling me two different things.

Guy that installed it: "The issue is that I am using the factor head unit and factory Sony amp and there aren't many ways around it. Get a new HeadUnit and loose the factory amp & Navigation" Metra Online

Other shop: "You need a Bit Ten and will cost $1150 to install and calibrate, and I can't guarantee that will work but should sound better then today" In the same conversation, he was telling me he would like to Dynamat it, maybe reinstall some of the speakers or sell me new speakers and redo all my wiring at a big cost. The issue I had was that I clearly have a signalling issue and that is 90% if not more of the issue. The stuff I bought and have installed is not bad stuff. I felt like he is trying to really sell me something I don't need. For the record, I love Dynamat and have installed it before, just saying that's not the big issue with my system.

It appears the root of the issue is there is no easy clean way to integrate into the Sony factory amp and get clean sound out of it. Is that the issue and if so, what are my options?

I appreciate your help.

-TCwave

the biggest issue you are encountering is a drastic EQ curve from the OEM amp. the LCQ is very limited in the adjustments it can make on an EQ curve. that was a bad choice to start with, the guy that installed it should have stopped you right there. the hardest part about defeating the OEM EQ curve is tuning it to get as close to flat as possible. the BitTen can do it but all the tuning is done by a person, which means lots of labor hours charged. I'd look into a JL Audio CleanSweep DSP that can autotune. I'd personally look into the PS8 from Arc, BitTen from Audison, 360.3 from RF, and the CL-SSI and CL441DSP from JL Audio. you have to defeat the OEM EQ curves and get a full range flat response. I think the "other installer" is closer to being able to figure out the issue but that price tag is a bit much unless he is willing to do the work first but you'd obviously need to show him you're willing to pay for it.

the biggest issue you are encountering is a drastic EQ curve from the OEM amp. the LCQ is very limited in the adjustments it can make on an EQ curve. that was a bad choice to start with, the guy that installed it should have stopped you right there. the hardest part about defeating the OEM EQ curve is tuning it to get as close to flat as possible. the BitTen can do it but all the tuning is done by a person, which means lots of labor hours charged. I'd look into a JL Audio CleanSweep DSP that can autotune. I'd personally look into the PS8 from Arc, BitTen from Audison, 360.3 from RF, and the CL-SSI and CL441DSP from JL Audio. you have to defeat the OEM EQ curves and get a full range flat response. I think the "other installer" is closer to being able to figure out the issue but that price tag is a bit much unless he is willing to do the work first but you'd obviously need to show him you're willing to pay for it.
The clean sweep does not auto tune. It wipes out the factory EQ and sets it to a flat signal not flat acoustics. It does have s few presets but nothing is measured.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.