2012 Dodge Charger Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

nickk678
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi guys,

Just sold my toy car/weekend warrior and looking to get into a big, fun sedan since we now have a 6 month old (first). I have a Charger in my area (R/T with Road and Track package) that I am lined up to pick up next week. I purposely selected this car because it had everything I wanted minus the "Beats by Dre" package that had 10 speakers all over the car. This vehicle has 2 in the dash (3 1/2"), then front doors and rear deck(both 6x9).

All my previous builds have been on vehicles where I can swap in a DIN or double DIN unit. This car has the 8" touch screen that is integrated into the car, so I will keep it and need to decide how to process the signals from it and get to whatever aftermarket amps I decide to buy. I hope the amp is in the rear of the vehicle so I can pull all my signals easily...

Here are my questions:

1) What are your recommendations on the signal processing? Do I need something as advanced as the JBL MS-8? Do I even need to worry about the dash speakers (all my previous SQ builds have only had front components amped, rears off the h/u, but they were coupes)? What about the CleanSweep? If I keep the dash speakers, is it worth amping them or running of the head unit? Personally, I think my best bet is an AudioControl LC8i right now as it can accept all 6 channels (if deemed necessary) and still provide an RCA out for subs. Draawback is it doesn't give me EQ options (head unit has terrible EQ - bass and treble only).

2) I'll run two WS6's sealed in the trunk. Has anyone had experience with the newer chargers as far as sound deadening? The previous body styles were terrible rattle cans - I hope Chrysler upped their game on the newer cars and I don't have to tear the entire interior out to deaden.

Thanks for the help.

I would run a 6x9 component system with 6x9 subs in the doors and 2" mid/tweeters in the dash. For a 3-way the dash could take 3" mids and 1" silk tweeters could be added on the windshield or A-pillars.

Interface with the factory amplifier with a JBL MS-8 and you will have automatic equalization and time delay for every speaker. You won't get that with any product from Audio Control or JL Audio, or almost any other manufacturer. It makes a massive difference to the overall sound of a vehicle, even with factory speakers.

Sound deadening can and should more than just the foil-backed mat that most people install and call it a day. My front doors have a combination of 5 major products and multiple installation techniques. Everything except the windows can be acoustically treated in some ways, and even that could change some day. Blocking outside noise is as good as adding more amplifier power, and it's no extra strain on the alternator.

Thanks for teh reply.

The more and more I read about the MS-8, the more I think it may be my best bet. The extra couple hundred I spend there is chump change if I plan to spend $2500 on speakers and amps (already have subs too).

My previous builds all had time alignment and auto EQ built into the head unit as well - world of difference.

As far as a 6x9 sub in the front door - any recommendations? I guess I assumed the responses would be run a 6 1/2" comp set in teh doors and eliminate the dash speakers. Never thought about running a setup like you mention. I assume the MS-8 would have no problem running 3 way as well if I went that route.

I've got a customer on this forum with a similar car who has a CDT 3-way 6x9 component set. I believe his car is a Charger. In his case he bought 2" mid/tweeter pods for the kick panels and the 1" tweeters are a style that mount on the windshield. The 2" mid/tweeter can mount to the dash locations with a bracket. This would get you a laid back type of treble. For some people this is great, but if you like a more bright and realistic sounding tweeter I can accommodate that as well.

I've been recommending putting midbasses on separate amplifier channels and running a mid and tweeter on passive crossovers. This lets you do a 3-way with 4 amplifier channels. MS-8 can do a 3-way, but that takes up 6 of 8 channels. I like what it does with rear speakers, so I recommend reserving 2 channels for that. You need just 1 channel for the sub, but 3-way, rears, and sub is 9 channels. That's why I recommend 4 channels for the front speakers. If you have the mids and tweeters close together this can work really well, and the passives I have feature several adjustments for the midrange and treble.

Thanks trumpet. I just bought the car yesterday - it is getting delivered Tuesday afternoon. I'll snap a couple pics to post and start planning a little more seriously.

The CDT 6x9 3-way set looks interesting. I could reuse my Kicker zx650x4 with this setup to run the 4 channels as you mention. As far as the rear deck, is it acceptable utilize the ms-8's internal amp to run these? I'd like to keep the system size down to 2 amps (front/sub). In the past, I have never ran rear fill, but have had much smaller cars (coupes) that I wasn't carrying passengers in.

Mounting looks easy also - just found this online: MX Designs by CDT Audio Installs

Congrats on the car.

I run my rear speakers off the MS-8's amplifier on channels 7 and 8. It's plenty of output. With efficient rear speakers you won't need more than 18W per channel.

The mounting is very, very easy. I have two sets of the pods, the 2" mid-tweeters and HD-1A/BL tweeters, mounted using 3M double sided tape. I can tell you exactly what tape to buy when I'm at work. The imaging tweeters come with their own tape. The design goal was to use sound principals of acoustics along with easy installation to get you enjoying your music faster, without worrying about making permanent changes to the vehicle. This results in lower labor costs.

Thanks trumpet. I just bought the car yesterday - it is getting delivered Tuesday afternoon. I'll snap a couple pics to post and start planning a little more seriously.
The CDT 6x9 3-way set looks interesting. I could reuse my Kicker zx650x4 with this setup to run the 4 channels as you mention. As far as the rear deck, is it acceptable utilize the ms-8's internal amp to run these? I'd like to keep the system size down to 2 amps (front/sub). In the past, I have never ran rear fill, but have had much smaller cars (coupes) that I wasn't carrying passengers in.

Mounting looks easy also - just found this online: MX Designs by CDT Audio Installs

Awesome car. I've owned an 08 and an 11' charger. Metra has a kit that allows you to put a double din in the pocket under the ac controls and still use factory screen. If keeping the factory head unit the jbl is a nice piece. As far as rattles n stuff they are still there with no sound deadening. Not as bad as the previous body but still there

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.