*2009 Hertz HSK165 Review*

lyttleviet
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Texas
Just thought I would post up my review on these speakers since they are freshly installed in my car now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Build log is up on the proper section //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

When I first put them in, I noticed that the midbass was solid and a bit more punchy "responsive" than the older hsk mid. I played around with the headunit a bit and it can definitely hit the low notes if you've got some deadener on your doors. The tweeter is a tad bit more harsh than the old set. That wasn't a problem though, I just turned the higher freq. down a bit on the eq and it took care of that problem. This set is MUCH louder than the previous HSK and I believe much more efficient. The HSK set I had before, I put over 250wrms to them and they didn't get this loud. This amp is rated at 190wrmsx2 (Hertz EP4) and I've only got the gain up 60%. I have yet to find something that beats this set in its price range.

Cliff Notes: Compared to older HSK165

Midbass better

Tweeter a tad harsh but tuned is better

Component set is much louder and more efficient

Can't be beat in price range

Hope this helps some of you that are debating about this set or another //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Can they be crossed as low as the MLK-165s?
I don't need to take them that low but they are crossed under 60 right now and doing fine. I don't see why they can't be but I doubt they will give the same output. I also ran my MLK with like 350wrms so I can't compare the two apples for apples.

I heard that 2009 set which i was really impressed with the mid as well.
Yeah, it really is nice... I need to sit down and tune it a bit for the tweeter. Its very nice and detailed but gets a tad bright at times. Overall a great component set that gets loud with little power IMO. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

My fault guys, checked the crossover and the tweeter was on +2 thats why it sounded a tad harsh... It sounds AWESOME now that I tuned it up a bit more....

With the gain set at 60% you can still be sending full power from the amp, or even more, depending on the rca voltage coming from your HU. But literally almost any HU can make an amp reach full power when set at 1/2 gain.

Didn't you also have a set of Morel Tempo 6s before? If so, how would you compare these to the Tempos?
Yes I did... This set has a more aggressive tweeter you gotta tone down a little... But once you do its money.. The output is about x2 that of the tempo or it sounds like it anyway... The midbass is also stunning.. The output is awesome and it gets lower than the tempo by FAR. Hope this helps! I am always on aim if you have any more questions.. I can try my best to go into detail when comparing the two for you.

how much u get em for. cheapest i could find was 250
Thats probably for the old set. I paid a little more for them but worth every penny //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

With the gain set at 60% you can still be sending full power from the amp, or even more, depending on the rca voltage coming from your HU. But literally almost any HU can make an amp reach full power when set at 1/2 gain.
I use a volt meter.

I just had the 2009 versions of the HSK-165's installed a few days ago. They sound pretty good. The tech did not use the included Hertz crossovers.

so are you running active or some random x-overs? I wonder if the 5.1k is giving it enough power... Play around with the tuning a bit and you will have a sick setup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I bet hes running the 4 channels on the 5.1k active.

The tech/shop said they wired my HSK165's directly to the amp. That is active correct? I heard them also mention being bi-amped. It took them all day to install everything, and I got there at closing, so did not get much info at the time.

They better be getting enough power. I have to go back tomorrow for an appt. to address a whining alt. noise (bad ground I guess) and will get more info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.