2008 Tiburon Build - Two 12's

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
Okay so i just bought a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon a month ago. I specifically bought it because its a cool looking car with a nice size trunk and a hatch that opens up. Easy as hell to put a decent size box in the trunk and the bass won't get trapped in the trunk.

I will be running a nice system in it eventually and this thread will show the progress. The plan is to have 2 12's in the trunk and have a functioning back seat, even though its tiny and barely usable haha

I will be powering the subs with a Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdCP which on my birthsheet says it puts out 1,598 watts rms @ 1 ohm.

Maybe someday in the future I will upgrade to get another one of these amps to have 3,000 rms total on the subs.

On to the pics. Here's the car.

Right now i have a box for one 12" sub, it's 2.5 cubes tuned to 32 hz. I built it years ago and it was in my Mustang for a while. It's got a Kicker CVR 12" in it and I'll be using it until i buy two 12's and build a box for them. It set right in the trunk so easily it was amazing compared to my Mustang. With my mustang i had to take out the back seats and bend metal to get the box in the trunk. This is great. This is why i bought this car haha

It's a tight fit but i like it. I will be building a box with the same height and same depth but it will be as wide as the whole trunk for the two 12's. I'm thinking that aiming the subs and port back like this box is will be the best but if you guys have other suggestions let me know.

Showing how tight it fits with the trunk closed

Also here's what I got in the mail 2 weeks ago. Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdCP. Paid $225 for it used and shipped from a guy who was selling it on the Rockford Fosgate Classifieds facebook group. I know this will be way too much power for a single 12" Kicker CVR but i will have it turned way down until i get my two 12's.

It's so much smaller than what i thought it would be. So much smaller than my old Rockford Fosgate T1000.1BD. It's super heavy though for how small it is.

And these birthsheet numbers are insane. 1,546 rms at 2 ohms. Crazy. Box rise/Impedence rise shouldn't be a problem with this amp. And just about 1600 rms at 1 ohm. So excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
First I had to get it wired. I started this last week when my wire showed up in the mail. I got 20 ft of KnuKonceptz 0 gauge oxygen free copper wire for $80 shipped. I also have about 15feet of 0 gauge Rockford Fosgate wire that I took out of my old Mustang. I'm running the ground all the way from the battery up front to the trunk where i will eventually have another separate battery. So it will be 1 positive and 1 negative as well running from the front battery to the trunk. I didn't feel like messing with searching for a good ground and the wire really wasn't that expensive and this way I'm guaranteed to have a good ground connection.

I heard that to get wire through the firewall in a Tiburon you have to take off the front driver side wheel and then take off the wheel well cover and then you can find a nice size hole to put the wire through.

So i jacked my car up and it turned out my lug nuts were too tight to unscrew with my lug wrench that came with the car. I had to take my car to a car shop down the road where they loosened them for me the next day. Then i jacked the car up and the jack leaned over.

Sh*tty jack but then i found out that this was caused by the slight angle of the parking lot so i moved my car horizontally and got it to work.

Wheel off and wheel well cover off

It was extremely hot this day, 90 degrees and humid with the high June sun. I was soaked in sweat working on that hot asphalt. I got pretty sun burnt since I took my shirt off to cool down. Wished I had a cooled garage haha

Starting to run the wire

This is looking from inside the wheel well at the opening i put the wire through

Instead of cutting a hole in the rubber and running the wire through there i just left this piece unattached like this. Do you guys think that that is okay to leave like that?

This is the other side of the opening, right above the fuse box in the footwell area

The wire inside the car

Started zip tying the wire

Put the wheel well cover back on.

Made it look nice and neat.

You guys think any problem could occur with me leaving the wire like that without a certain protective coating around it? Part of one of the wires has something special around it but it doesn't go the whole length to the firewall and the other wire has none. Will it be okay dealing with the elements you guys think?

Put the tire back on.

My old rockford wire wasn't long enough from the fuse to the battery positve so I went to the local car audio shop to buy a foot of 0 gauge and have them put a ring terminal on it. I don't have the right tools to put on ring terminals on 0 gauge and they don't charge. They have Memphis wire

Comparing the KnuKoncepts Kolossus 0 gauge to the Memphis. Found it interesting how they're different colors. Anybody know why? The KnuKoncepts looks to be more strands, not surprised since they advertise it to be over 5000 strands.

Screwed my fuse holder onto the top of the fuse box.

Do you guys think this is too much slack on the orange wire connecting the fuse and the battery positive? It could be way shorter but i wanted to leave slack in case i need a new battery or something. But i heard that the distance to the fuse should be short as possible.

Showing where the wire goes down to the wheel well

Then i started getting ready to take out the headunit. This is the stock head unit that comes with the 2008 Hyundai Tiburon. A Kenwood that looks aftermarket that has sub rca outputs. I will be upgrading it someday soon because it only has a 3 band EQ and it doesn't play ipods, although it does play mp3 cd's which is cool for a stock radio.

Couldn't find a spot for the remote wire though so i found the 12 volt Ignition wire to splice into

Chop chop

Spliced up

RCA cables ill be using

Plugged into the back of the stock radio

Then i started working on running the power cable to the trunk.

This is looking up in the foot well where the wire comes through the firewall.

When i took the trim pieces off at the bottom of the door opening i realized i wouldn't be able to run the wire under the carpet without taking out the driver seat so i went ahead and took that out

Couldn't get the carpet up without taking out these seat belt bolts

Got the carpet up

Found some nice openings to slide the wire through

Even had to take off the giant side panel in the car to get the carpet up to get the wire to the back seat. I heard people say that it's easy to run wire through a Tiburon but compared to a mustang i would have to disagree. It was more work than i thought but i still found it fun and i got to learn about my car.

Everything put back together.

This is the only place where the wire is visible inside the car. Right at the corner in the back seat. I couldn't find a way to hide this and i don't really mind. It's a reminder to all the power that will be in the back of this car.

Then i ran the rca's along the passenger side of the car to the trunk.

Then i had the whole trunk wired and was super excited to start bumping and get the reward of all my hard work i put into this so far.

Ended up touching the positive and negative power wires together while connecting them to the amp and it sparked and that could be why the amp lit up and powered on after but didn't have any sound. Was very disappointing but after some debate on if what i did could have ruined it like that, i sent it to Rockford today to get it fixed for $190 shipped both ways and it will be back next week.

So i'm very excited to have it back and working next week and for now I got my friends Alpine MRP-M500 hooked up to my 12" CVR and it's wired at 4 ohms at 300rms and it's hitting pretty decently loud. It's really rattling the phone buttons up on the ceiling though by the dome lights. It's quite annoying i will have to figure out how to stop that.

Here's the pics of the alpine hooked up, this is how it's sitting right now

It flexes the windsheild pretty good for only 300rms. Probably moves about 2mm back and forth. More than my Mustang windshield moved on only 300rms I think. I took a vid I'll have to upload it.

In a week I'll have my Rockford amp hooked up and ill set it to give the sub 450 rms.

As soon as i get more money I will be getting a new Pioneer touch screen head unit, one with the 13 band EQ and timing alignment and Auto EQ microphone.

I also will be tinting my windows 5% and then i'll remove the rear deck thing.

I will possibly buy 2 12" Type-R's used, i think i could get both of them for $200.

And I will need to get some Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro Sound deadening to sound deaden the trunk.

And I'll need to build the box which will be fun, and then I'll be good for a while haha I'll update with the video of the CVR on 300 rms soon.

****, I haven't updated this in over a month. I've done a lot and the bass is almost done.

I got my windows tinted 5%

Before

After

The headliner was rattling so bad from the bass right by the windshield, it was terrible, so I took the headliner out

After some second skin damplifier pro on the roof

Then I put some second skin overkill pro ccf foam in between the headliner and roof and then put the headliner back in

The rattles were completely gone it did wonders

Then I started on putting second skin damplifier pro in the trunk

After it was all done

Did the trunk lid as well

I bought a new pioneer deh-3700bhs and put it in

I bought an SMD VM-1, I'll run the wires cleaner after the bass is done

I bought and installed some led footwell lights, they look so awesome but this is a ****** pic during daylight

Designed the new box, kept it a couple inches skinny to make room for my trunk battery

Got the 3/4" MDF

Then I got my new xs power d3100 in the mail

First time I ever owned a battery like this, it's so heavy! Haha

Decided to make the box look nice before I install it so I don't have to remove everything later to do it then

Port painted and getting ready for paint on the outside

After the coat of primer

Really wish I had a garage for all of this but I make it work anyways, definitely makes things harder but it's still possible

After 3 coats of flat black dried

Working on getting it all installed, definitely a very tight fit with this big *ss battery.

Then this is how far I got today before I had to go to work. Got the amp mounted and subs wired.

[

Just have to hook up two fuses and put some ring terminals on Tomorrow to hook up the battery and then I'll have it playing, so excited!

Cool build. I had an '03 TIburon and it was one of the best vehicles for audio that I've had. Your box looks similar to what I found worked best for my 2 12" Power HX2s. It was actually quite an impressive set up with a RF t30001bd. I miss it to this day.

I don't think I would run the power wire through the wheel well like you did. It'll probably get hammered with road debris. Here we have tons of salt on the roads in the winter and I'm not sure if that would eat away the insulation or not. I would try to relocate it. There is a lot of room on the passenger side of the firewall to drill through. That's where I ran my wire. If that's going to be too much of a pain to do, put some split loom over the wire.

Cool man, appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely do some split loom, I do not feel like drilling a hole or relocating, but we do have salt up here as well in winter so I'll definitely do the split loom, thanks!

Cool build. I had an '03 TIburon and it was one of the best vehicles for audio that I've had. Your box looks similar to what I found worked best for my 2 12" Power HX2s. It was actually quite an impressive set up with a RF t30001bd. I miss it to this day.
I don't think I would run the power wire through the wheel well like you did. It'll probably get hammered with road debris. Here we have tons of salt on the roads in the winter and I'm not sure if that would eat away the insulation or not. I would try to relocate it. There is a lot of room on the passenger side of the firewall to drill through. That's where I ran my wire. If that's going to be too much of a pain to do, put some split loom over the wire.
Also cool that you had a Tiburon as well, I agree that they're great cars for a system, cool you were running 3k rms, did you upgrade your alt?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.