2006 Dodge Rims, Tires and Stereo Build (Pictures)

what island?
BI get choke lifted trucks...toyotas, superdutys, rams...

Oahu not so much (recon laws)

Maui get choke lifted superdutys STRAIGHT AXLE!!!

I'm sure you saw some around wherever you were...
Dude, I have whiplash now from gawking at all the wicked trucks on the island. I was on Maui. Every third vehicle was a jacked Yoda with big tires. I am a huge Yoda fan, so that was great to see. They all had solid front axels too!!! There were a few Dodges, and a few Fords as well, but nowhere near as many as there were Yodas. I don't like how they push the tires out so far though. That is a little extreme looking for my liking.

did you decide where your going to mount your tweets? im fixing to install 6.5 comps in my dodge, but havent decided where to mount tweets
I'm not 100% sure yet, but I have a couple ideas. I'm pretty sure I will glass in a piece so I can be sure the imaging is correct. I thought about using the stock location for the 3"ers in the dash, but then I'm not sure they would sound the best they could. So I will either mount them in the triangle piece at the top of the door skin, or I will put them in the A Pillar. I didn't want them in the A-Pillar cause I was going to put a bunch of gauges in there. I now plan on installing a Truckputer, doing some engineering, and display the gauge readings on there. That leaves the A-Pillar open for the tweets. And that works better, cause an A-Pillar is cheaper to replace if I screw it up.

dude use a jig saw for that ****, don't cut it out with a router?
I'm sure he did the first time, then used a flush trim to make it exactly the same. No offense to the OP but as long as you know how to use the router table correctrly and safely it should go smoothly.

Exactly. I cut the pieces out with the jig saw, then was trying to smooth them off with the router, and had the run in.

You sound like you've used the router once or twice. Do you have any idea why it would have grabbed the wood and pulled my hand in? My assumption after sitting and feeling like an idiot for two weeks was this...The bit I was using was just shorter than the height of the pieces. I assume this pushed the wood up and the bit grabbed the wood and pulled it in the other direction.

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them before I try something like this again.

Dude, I have whiplash now from gawking at all the wicked trucks on the island. I was on Maui. Every third vehicle was a jacked Yoda with big tires. I am a huge Yoda fan, so that was great to see. They all had solid front axels too!!! There were a few Dodges, and a few Fords as well, but nowhere near as many as there were Yodas. I don't like how they push the tires out so far though. That is a little extreme looking for my liking.
yeah, lifted toyotas are a staple over here. hardbody, hilux, old tacomas, new tacomas. great trucks and good on gas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif ...maui actually puts their trucks to use on sand and in mud...Hawaii Island is mostly road queens w/ da 20" rims and 6" lifts...glad you could enjoy our truck culture and most importantly your EXPENSIVE vacation...

pushing tires, are you talking about them stretching the tires or the fact that the rims are 15x12 or 18x16...i have a friend that has 17" rims that are 20" wide //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif runing 35s

You sound like you've used the router once or twice. Do you have any idea why it would have grabbed the wood and pulled my hand in? My assumption after sitting and feeling like an idiot for two weeks was this...The bit I was using was just shorter than the height of the pieces. I assume this pushed the wood up and the bit grabbed the wood and pulled it in the other direction.

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them before I try something like this again.

If that is the bit you were trying to trim with then its the wrong bit. You need a flush trim bit to make the edges all match up. Also, you may have been cutting in the wrong direction of the router. When that blade is spinning it should be pushing the wood back towards you, not pulling your work piece and hand into it. Dull bits are also known to grab wood and jerk it around.

Whiteside spiral upcut flush trim bit ftw.

t-152-537.jpeg

ive thought about installing the tweets in kick panels, towards the top, just not sure how imaging would be..would have to be right below ebrake pedal if i did that, and then install mids in doors

pushing tires, are you talking about them stretching the tires or the fact that the rims are 15x12 or 18x16...i have a friend that has 17" rims that are 20" wide //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif runing 35s

Yeah, I'm talking about how wide, and offset the rims are. There's pretty much no tire sitting under the truck, they push it all out. We would get pulled off the road in a minute if we tried that up here. LOL. I can't imagine a 20" wide rim. That is insane!!!

Yeah, the vacation was expensive. We got a pretty good deal on flights and a condo, but it didn't stop there. All the tours and activities were $100/piece. That adds up in a **** hurry. I do wish I had more than a week to spend on the island. It is beautiful over there.

looks like its coming along nicely. im starting to love the look of lifted trucks. especially blacked out ones.
Welcome to the dark side man. LOL.

If that is the bit you were trying to trim with then its the wrong bit. You need a flush trim bit to make the edges all match up. Also, you may have been cutting in the wrong direction of the router. When that blade is spinning it should be pushing the wood back towards you, not pulling your work piece and hand into it. Dull bits are also known to grab wood and jerk it around.
Whiteside spiral upcut flush trim bit ftw.

t-152-537.jpeg

I used that bit because the pieces were uneven all over. It wasn't always the top that was shorter than the bottom, or vice versa. That bit you are showing has the guide on top, which wouldn't work for what I wanted. that said, I think the bit I used is for cutting a square grove into a piece, using the top of the bit, rather than using the side of the bit for trimming. The little bit of training I had on a router told me to pull the piece against the direction of the bit. Otherwise the bit is more likely to push the piece away from it, and has more chance to grab and pull. Obviously I don't have a thumb to stand on as far as the bit pulling the piece issue, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I was using the wrong bit. that said, I'm not sure what bit I should have used, but I should have done a little more research before I just started cutting. So, anyone have any other ideas for bits I should have used?

ive thought about installing the tweets in kick panels, towards the top, just not sure how imaging would be..would have to be right below ebrake pedal if i did that, and then install mids in doors
I don't think any speaker would image well in kicks in these trucks, since the kicks are pushed so far under the dash. I think, if you were going through the trouble of building something, you would be better off to put them in the top of the doors, or the A-Pillars. Or if you want an easier install, put them in the dash in the stock location. I'm sure they would sound good there.

I used that bit because the pieces were uneven all over. It wasn't always the top that was shorter than the bottom, or vice versa. That bit you are showing has the guide on top, which wouldn't work for what I wanted. that said, I think the bit I used is for cutting a square grove into a piece, using the top of the bit, rather than using the side of the bit for trimming. The little bit of training I had on a router told me to pull the piece against the direction of the bit. Otherwise the bit is more likely to push the piece away from it, and has more chance to grab and pull. Obviously I don't have a thumb to stand on as far as the bit pulling the piece issue, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I was using the wrong bit. that said, I'm not sure what bit I should have used, but I should have done a little more research before I just started cutting. So, anyone have any other ideas for bits I should have used?
trim one side, flip it over and trim the other, and save a thumb //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

there really is no reason to use a straight bit to trim the way you were trimming. in the two years i did custom installation the only thing i ever used a straight bit for was to cut circles with my jig or to make a dado.

everything that you were trying here should have been done with a flush trim bit. the first pattern you need to build very very well. cut it straight, use a sander to get it perfect then trace it out on your next piece. cut the next piece about an 1/8th inch large all the way around, attach them together, and use the flush trim to get a perfect copy.

Yeah, I'm talking about how wide, and offset the rims are. There's pretty much no tire sitting under the truck, they push it all out. We would get pulled off the road in a minute if we tried that up here. LOL. I can't imagine a 20" wide rim. That is insane!!!
Yeah, the vacation was expensive. We got a pretty good deal on flights and a condo, but it didn't stop there. All the tours and activities were $100/piece. That adds up in a **** hurry. I do wish I had more than a week to spend on the island. It is beautiful over there.
glad you enjoyed your trip...hopefully you saw some things that can be incorporated into this build or maybe a future toyota build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif expensive is right...its a little cheaper to fly from hawaii rather than to hawaii but we were looking a going to GA or SC for my cousins wedding next summer and airfare alone would be close to 5k for my fam...and about another 5 k for rentalcar and hotel etc...

i know you like your toys so... a 20" wide rim looks something like this:

l_b51aed636d48bf10daee076512940e62.jpg

l_0bdd81e8fddd985f51d6cfa3addfa973.jpg

and to clear the tires...

l_e47a0bce4b3918ea404965084dbca9f3.jpg

frontbumper

l_5142a1d4a3be530b8a05c740a830ab69.jpg

rearbumper

The internet in this town is screwed up. I tried to post last night, but it wouldn't let me. Apparently it posted it, just didn't show me, now I had a double post. **** it. LOL.

Well folks. I finally made it back home. That was a long two and a half weeks. It didn't even feel like my house when I pulled into the driveway. You know that feeling when you first move into a new place and you pull into your driveway, but it doesn't feel like yours yet. Well that's how it was for me, except I've been in this house for two and a half years. Oh well.

Speaking of the house, I have a few major house repairs to make in the next little while, so progress of the truck might be a little slow. The thumb is healing up great, I'll have to put up a couple pictures of that soon.

Hopefully in the next week or so I will be wiring up the lights on the front of the truck. They are four 150W sealed beam lights. They should light the way well enough. LOL. Anyways, I may as well take some pictures as I do it and post them up in here as well.

Sadly I don't have the truckputer yet, but I do have a nice dream for when I get it installed. I plan on running all my gauges, as well as the on/off for these driving lights. Who knows what else I will dream up to run in there. Sadly that will be a while down the road.

glad you enjoyed your trip...hopefully you saw some things that can be incorporated into this build or maybe a future toyota build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif expensive is right...its a little cheaper to fly from hawaii rather than to hawaii but we were looking a going to GA or SC for my cousins wedding next summer and airfare alone would be close to 5k for my fam...and about another 5 k for rentalcar and hotel etc...
i know you like your toys so... a 20" wide rim looks something like this:

l_0bdd81e8fddd985f51d6cfa3addfa973.jpg
Dude those things are insane. I guess for the sand romping you'd want something that crazy. Over here they would be nearly useless, but they look cool. The one thing I did like about the truck builds over there are all the Fox Shocks with Remote reservoirs. Those are blinging shocks over here. Noone has them.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I have a couple ideas. I'm pretty sure I will glass in a piece so I can be sure the imaging is correct. I thought about using the stock location for the 3"ers in the dash, but then I'm not sure they would sound the best they could. So I will either mount them in the triangle piece at the top of the door skin, or I will put them in the A Pillar. I didn't want them in the A-Pillar cause I was going to put a bunch of gauges in there. I now plan on installing a Truckputer, doing some engineering, and display the gauge readings on there. That leaves the A-Pillar open for the tweets. And that works better, cause an A-Pillar is cheaper to replace if I screw it up.

Exactly. I cut the pieces out with the jig saw, then was trying to smooth them off with the router, and had the run in.

you probably was pushing the wood with the spin of the blade, instead of against the blade.

if you go with the spin it will catch the wood and pull anything like your hand etc into the blade.

always cut against the spin of the blade.

you probably was pushing the wood with the spin of the blade, instead of against the blade.
if you go with the spin it will catch the wood and pull anything like your hand etc into the blade.

always cut against the spin of the blade.

Though a very good thought, not the case. I was moving the piece against the spin direction.

I inspected the bit today, and one blade looks like it had a couple very small nicks out of it. I assume what I stated above, along with the dull blade, as well as using too short of a bit, and not the ideal bit, all contributed to the incident. Also if I had a start pin in place it would have stopped my hand from getting to be bit, in theory.

trim one side, flip it over and trim the other, and save a thumb //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
there really is no reason to use a straight bit to trim the way you were trimming. in the two years i did custom installation the only thing i ever used a straight bit for was to cut circles with my jig or to make a dado.

everything that you were trying here should have been done with a flush trim bit. the first pattern you need to build very very well. cut it straight, use a sander to get it perfect then trace it out on your next piece. cut the next piece about an 1/8th inch large all the way around, attach them together, and use the flush trim to get a perfect copy.
x2!!!

Ya, your template needs to be 100% perfect before you ever break out the router. Then come through with the FLUSH TRIM not a straight bit. Its a whole lot safer with the correct bit.

Sorry, about the thumb. My guess is you were coming from the wrong direction and had your fingers too close to the bit, Ive almost done this before. And always hold the piece with your fingers tucked under your hand.

x2!!!
Ya, your template needs to be 100% perfect before you ever break out the router. Then come through with the FLUSH TRIM not a straight bit. Its a whole lot safer with the correct bit.

Sorry, about the thumb. My guess is you were coming from the wrong direction and had your fingers too close to the bit, Ive almost done this before. And always hold the piece with your fingers tucked under your hand.

As I said above, I was moving the piece in the correct direction. I know that for sure. When it caught my hand was well over a foot away from the bit. You are correct about holding the piece though. I was holding the piece between my fingers and thumb. Obviously with quite a tight grip. I will take your advice next time and keep my fingers tucked under my hand. Thanks.

I guess I will have to remake my template next time I go to build one of these, and make more careful cuts to ensure everything is quite close. My next purchase is a spiral up-cut bit too I guess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.