2006 Chevy Aveo Start to Finish Thread

Participant count
  • Participant list

cincypiper
10+ year member

The Pumpin' Piper
Hello All:

I'd like to thank those of you who gave great advice to me on my very first project, an upgrade from my 1998 Volvo s90 all Stock to a modest but good performance aftermarket audio system.

This thread is going to cover my Start to Finish activities on a 2006 Chevy Aveo. I'll share what I have learned and would very much enjoy hearing your input as I roll along here.

I'll post all photos in my Picasa site: http://picasaweb.google.com/cincypiper

The album title is: "2009 Year End Car Audio Project: 2006 Chevy Aveo"

I've started the project in earnest today, and have only been obsessed but not certain of the possibilities for a worthy upgrade from the original craptastic things I found in the door panels -- they *might* be recognizable as speakers but I first took them for a turd:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cincypiper/2009YearEndCarAudioProject2006ChevyAveo#5248196489434257458

In any case, I've found some interesting features of my blank canvas and would love to hear your responses to my thoughts on today's investigative surgery. By all means, yes, I would like to know "What would YOU do?"

My goal for this project: Very Strong Tight Bass Sound for Most styles of Music(using a sealed bass cabinet or two), Gotta feel every hit though so i don't want to go sparingly on the 'hit' factor. Mids need to be strong and highs somewhat mild. I am considering using a component system for the front door panels for better imaging. There are NO speakers in the doorpanels for the rear door.

First, since I want a strong tight thump, I needed to know the landscape of the trunk. Yeah, as you can see from the photos in my picasa album, I like to take photos of my measurements. That keeps me from too much confusion as I review measurements and notes. The photo gives me the context of the measurement and helps me keep my daydreams focused on the actual problem rather than making impulsive decisions that may not work well.

I'll explain a few measurements of special interest that I've taken as the dissection occurred, then lead to my first "What would YOU do?" solicitation.

Exhibit A, we have the trunk's 'stiff felt' and cheapo flimsy lining lifted to see the 'real' topology of the car.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cincypiper/2009YearEndCarAudioProject2006ChevyAveo#5248195348477513330

The rear deck horizontal panels + speaker has been removed.

That's an interesting dip behind the wheel well. Its about six inches across, 6 inches deep, and about 11" tall.

Here's the horizontal panel on the right side, speaker attached. Zoinks that's grody. The stock speaker there is 4X6 (at least the mounting plate seems to be).

http://picasaweb.google.com/cincypiper/2009YearEndCarAudioProject2006ChevyAveo#5248195818759834706

My first "What would YOU do" question is: I want to actually use my trunk and spare tire wheel well for their intended purposes, so I'll build a sizable box for the rear if I must, if I must....

So, I'm wondering, should I use these entire back 'recesses' for some sort of custom sealed box (I'm tempted to try my hand at Fiberglass). I have time to work on it for the long haul... but the weather will quickly go to crap and I have no garage to work in, ergo... the practicalities of a 'trunk filler' seem more appealing. So there ya go... What would YOU do?

My thoughts are The voice coil on even a 10" budget woofer would have physical difficulty fitting in a thing like that, espcially because that's all ferrous metal back there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.