2002 Chevy Trailblazer / suggestions

jbizzle
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know the stock alternator rating? I can't seem to find it, I even looked on the alternator itself, couldn't find anything.

My reason asking is because I was dimming on 500watts rms with a MTX 9500, now that I have 2 MTX 9500's and i'll be pushing 1500watts. I don't know what to do, get a new alternator? Get another battery in the truck? I have a Optima Yellowtop in the front, and a 2.2 farad capacitor, which isn't doing jack ****. and i'm getting my system installed this weekend (hopefully). Any thoughts?

The stock alternator (model AD-244) is rated for 150 amps, according to my service manual.

You definitely shouldn't be getting dimming with just 500 watts. Dirty or otherwise crappy connections on the battery could cause it. I run 700 watts in my Jimmy without even a hint of dimming, with all stock electrical, stock battery. Have you checked your battery, is it healthy?

I believe the consensus is you should do the Big 3 for 1500 watts. You could add another battery in the back if you still get dimming after the Big 3. But for 500 watts none of this should be necessary.

-- Kevin

This is my 3rd battery actually, first I had the oem battery, then I changed the battery to the red top still had dimming, then now I have the yellow top. I had my battery and all checked, everything was good. I honestly don't know whats wrong.

Also, on sunday my new system is being hooked up.. So I don't know what to do.

After looking at your system specs more closely, I notice you have 2 subs on your amp. Looking at the web page for your amp, it says it puts out 1000w at 2 ohms, and 1500w at 1 ohm. How do you have your subs wired? Do you have the DVC or SVC versions of those subs?

As I posted before, I don't have two hooked up yet. I HAD a SVC 4 ohm. And my AMP only puts out 500wrms @ 4 ohms. Now I got rid of the SVC 4 ohm, and purchased the DVC 4 ohm. I also hooked this one up just to test the sub, and I was having even more massive drops (now @ 2 ohms, amp pushing 1000wrms)

I'm having my new system installed on SUNDAY then i'll be pushing the 1500wrms.

I just don't know what to do? I know people keep saying big3, but will it help that much? Or should I just purchase a second battery?

Would this be a problem? The people who installed my system, put like a gold plated terminal thing to connect the power whire from the amp to the battery, instead of putting it directly to the battery.

You should run a second battery for sure. If your batteries are not getting charged its because your alternator is only putting out around 14volts. We looked into the optima and in their studies they need higher voltage to start the charging process internally. You might need to charge them hella long on a charger for a few nights. GM AD (D = Digital) series alt regulators are controlled by your vehicles computer. This has a 14v rating it feeds to your alt. It acts as a cap for you cars voltage more or less. When your alt heats up this voltage will drop around 13.6/ 13.8. all GM set points do vary. With this over ride from the car it gets rated on factory battery specs and the higher current battery is under read for charge. Your car doesn't compensate for the more power needed for the optima's. Hop this helps,

MLA

What do you suggest I do, if I get a second battery, will I have the same problem? Is there any way to override the computer? My dads a mechanic and owns his own shop, if that helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.