2001 Honda Civic

Little bit more work done last night. Power and ground with lugs on in the front.

IMG_0198.jpg

SounDrive rca's

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Speaker wire, amp turn on relay and voltmeter relay maybe tomorrow.

Looks good so far what deadner did you go with think I'm going to pick up some Vibraflex Thursday for my trunk an rear deck.
Noico 80 mil, had some gift cards so I thought I would try it out. Goes on real well and doesn't have any smell, just not sure how good of a deadener it is, Im only like 4 sq feet into it.

Update: Got everything in for a test last night. Took a left turn and the ppi shut off then came back on, so I'm working on that mystery.. I need to check one of the port in one of the boxes to make sure it still exists, might even change to a 1 chamber aero port box thats about .5 cube smaller. Currently can not tell if that sub is unloading or if the trunk is slapping, can't check it out until someone else can hold the throttle for me. The alt belt slipped like a mf when i was first testing in the garage, ill be tightening that this week hopefully. Overall everything else is running flawlessly so far.

It's loud. I don't know how loud. I haven't even turned it up yet, gain set with clip light on amp. T-Fade showed his having a little more power to give so ill scope it tonight maybe.

Pics after work today, stay tuned for the sht tacular.

Little Update: PPI 900.4 had a problem but seems to be doing fine but still am going to move it to the interior. Alt belt continues to slip even at 2k rpm with anything past halfway on the lc1, Ill be ordering a continental elite (goodyear gatorback) 39.5" soon hopefully to get it a little tighter. From about 35hz and up I am getting concerned for the subs, might be bottoming out but Its hard to tell when I have to keep my foot on the throttle for the belt not to slip at that level. I can smell them slightly after a few minutes but the cones/ dustcaps don't get that warm, Ive had others much much warmer.

Received my quad 8awg speaker posts the other day, waiting on more lugs to arrive to get those on.

Update: Swapped alt belts again, 39.5" this time gatorback. Absolutely no noise so far. Subs are getting warm fast, slight smell to them after a little while but Oscope confirms a clean signal. I can not figure out why these things are reaching mechanical limits as fast as they are. Winisd plots them at just under 23 mm of excursion with 4k as the input signal. Going to double check the interior of the boxes and probably put some wood in to get them closer to 2 cubes.

The stock belt is 38.8 inches. I'm assuming the singer 320amp alt has a smaller pulley than stock, like the singer 260amp I have does? On my Civic, I went with a 38 inch belt and it fits perfect. Still, I get a little belt squeal at startup, but that's it.

Also for what it's worth, a group 34 will fit in the stock location. I know it may be a little late for that, but if you want something bigger under the hood in the future.

And finally, these civics are louder with the box NOT sealed from the trunk. May or may not matter to you.

Some other things worth noting from my experience.

The roof brace that the rear view mirror bolts to cracked once I got to about 143db. Requires welding to fix.

The roof braces behind the sunroof that are glued to the outer roof skin...Every one of them broke loose. Used a tube of liquid nail to glue it all back together then deadened it as well. Sounds MUCH better inside. Didn't lose or gain DB's from it, but it sounds better (inside and out).

Sub up port forward with the box slide all the way back is loudest (at least with my setup...Single 15).

Sub/port forward with box slid all the way back was second loudest (.3db less than sub up port forward).

Sub/port forward sealed from the trunk lost 3 full DB...But sounded better and hammered the lows (below 35ish Hz) a lot better.

The stock belt is 38.8 inches. I'm assuming the singer 320amp alt has a smaller pulley than stock, like the singer 260amp I have does? On my Civic, I went with a 38 inch belt and it fits perfect. Still, I get a little belt squeal at startup, but that's it.
Also for what it's worth, a group 34 will fit in the stock location. I know it may be a little late for that, but if you want something bigger under the hood in the future.

And finally, these civics are louder with the box NOT sealed from the trunk. May or may not matter to you.
If I remember correctly Mike said 320 amp is a larger case than all of the other ones he makes for this car. The stock belt would not fit in any way shape or form, 39.5 was a tight mf'er. I believe the extra size on the 34 would have made it a bit more difficult to fit all of the 4/0 going to the posts, stuffs not very flexible on a small circumference.

Some other things worth noting from my experience.
The roof brace that the rear view mirror bolts to cracked once I got to about 143db. Requires welding to fix.

The roof braces behind the sunroof that are glued to the outer roof skin...Every one of them broke loose. Used a tube of liquid nail to glue it all back together then deadened it as well. Sounds MUCH better inside. Didn't lose or gain DB's from it, but it sounds better (inside and out).

Sub up port forward with the box slide all the way back is loudest (at least with my setup...Single 15).

Sub/port forward with box slid all the way back was second loudest (.3db less than sub up port forward).

Sub/port forward sealed from the trunk lost 3 full DB...But sounded better and hammered the lows (below 35ish Hz) a lot better.
I am planning on covering the roof when I pull the liner down to reupholster it. As for enclosures, I always have like the look of trunk walls sealed but I'm not liking the output in this car. Haven't thought about doing the 12's firing up. A lot of people getting good results with subs forward/port to the side, box slid back to the passenger corner.

But its always a crap shoot. Ill probably end up trying all of them lol.

How do you plan to do the rear deck? Deadener? MDF/Foam? or ported?
The rear deck has 2+ layers of deadener covering it, not sealing off yet but the sides will be foam if I do.

If I remember correctly Mike said 320 amp is a larger case than all of the other ones he makes for this car. The stock belt would not fit in any way shape or form, 39.5 was a tight mf'er. I believe the extra size on the 34 would have made it a bit more difficult to fit all of the 4/0 going to the posts, stuffs not very flexible on a small circumference.

I am planning on covering the roof when I pull the liner down to reupholster it. As for enclosures, I always have like the look of trunk walls sealed but I'm not liking the output in this car. Haven't thought about doing the 12's firing up. A lot of people getting good results with subs forward/port to the side, box slid back to the passenger corner.

Wasn't thinking large case. Hah.

And yeah, output isn't great with the box sealed. I spent north of 20 hours changing my original setup to a sealed trunk, and then lost 3db. I was not happy at all. Ripped it all out the next day and started over. If you haven't foamed it to seal it off yet, don't. You WILL lose DB's over pretty much every other setup you can do that *I* have tried. Even sub/port back was louder. And that crap is a huge PITA to clean up.

I haven't tried sub forward port to the side. Neither of my boxes would work in that configuration. If you do that, and port to the left side (left rear corner of the trunk), you'll probably need to seal off the cabin vent back there. Also, depending on box size, you may have a problem getting your box into either corner. Trunk hinges will hit.

Good luck with your build! I'm interested to see how it meters whenever you get it done. I'm currently doing 145.8 sealed on a single 15 with a 2k amp...shooting for 150 (lots of changes to come, but I won't clog your thread with that...see my build thread if you care).

Wasn't thinking large case. Hah.

And yeah, output isn't great with the box sealed. I spent north of 20 hours changing my original setup to a sealed trunk, and then lost 3db. I was not happy at all. Ripped it all out the next day and started over. If you haven't foamed it to seal it off yet, don't. You WILL lose DB's over pretty much every other setup you can do that *I* have tried. Even sub/port back was louder. And that crap is a huge PITA to clean up.

I haven't tried sub forward port to the side. Neither of my boxes would work in that configuration. If you do that, and port to the left side (left rear corner of the trunk), you'll probably need to seal off the cabin vent back there. Also, depending on box size, you may have a problem getting your box into either corner. Trunk hinges will hit.

Good luck with your build! I'm interested to see how it meters whenever you get it done. I'm currently doing 145.8 sealed on a single 15 with a 2k amp...shooting for 150 (lots of changes to come, but I won't clog your thread with that...see my build thread if you care).

Some slight updates: Changing boxes hopefully in the next week. 8 inch aero 3.7-3.9 cubes shared ported to the side, subs forward or rear. starting tuning at 32 ish. Hopefully I can get the excursion under control enough to give them more than half on the lc-1.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.