2 subs, different ohms, wiring help?

dawaffle

I've recently upgraded my car's audio system from my old car. It's been a year since I've used it, but nothing is different other than the car. I've recently obtained another sub, but before I hooked the new one up I realized my amp was getting severely hot, not just the moderate warmth it used to give out. I want to hook both subs up, but they're different ohms. I've seen you can do this, though not completely recommended, and it should be fine. I'll list the specs so someone can help me on how to do this.

Amp:

Kenwood KAC-7205

Subs:

Rockford Fosgate P2D2-10" (DVC 2ohm)

Alpine SWR-12" Type R (DVC 4ohm)

I'm not looking to shake the car next to me, so as far as power goes, just moderate to give me and passengers some thump.

So how would I go about setting this up?

The only way I can see to use both subs with that amp is wiring the D2 coils in series (4 ohms total) and the D4 coils in parallel (2 ohms total) and running them off separate channels (not bridged).

i've recently upgraded my car's audio system from my old car. It's been a year since i've used it, but nothing is different other than the car. I've recently obtained another sub, but before i hooked the new one up i realized my amp was getting severely hot, not just the moderate warmth it used to give out. I want to hook both subs up, but they're different ohms. I've seen you can do this, though not completely recommended, and it should be fine. I'll list the specs so someone can help me on how to do this.
Amp:

Kenwood kac-7205

subs:

Rockford fosgate p2d2-10" (dvc 2ohm)

alpine swr-12" type r (dvc 4ohm)

i'm not looking to shake the car next to me, so as far as power goes, just moderate to give me and passengers some thump.

So how would i go about setting this up?

this is in no way a good idea

I have the same dilemma. I have a d2 and a d4. Don't see no way to do it without separate amps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Run the alpine in series at 8 ohms, bridged on the amp. Should be getting 300-350w. Give the sub a nice ported box, and enjoy. Sell the 10 to get money to buy MDF and build a the box for the Alpine.

Running those two woofer on that amp isn't the hard part but the question is, will they be in the same air space? If yes, then no.... don't do it.

If no, then wire the Fosgate coils in series and the Apline coils in parallel. Then wire both woofers in series, bridged to the amp. This will present a safe, 6ohm load to the amp, which is the closest you can get to 2ohms per channel without letting all the smoke out the amplifier.

Just sell them and buy new/used subs. OR just run 1 sub. There's nothing good that's gonna come out of this other than blowing something (subs/amp).

Sell both of them and get a kick *** sub.

I would possible see running two ohm loads of the same woofer, but different ohm loads and a different woofer? That's like trying to bake a turkey in the microwave.

i agree with everyone on this matter, Even with a proper wiring, there's always a risk of one sub getting more power than the other and blowing equipment is the least of your worries compared to fire hazards.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.