2 Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kern417
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
1. Is 8 gauge speaker wire and 8 gauge power wire the same? A shop over here 'only sells 8 gauge power wire, the biggest speaker wire is 12 gauge.' Can I use that for speaker wire as well?

2. I have 2 batteries in the trunk and a voltage readout on my fuse holder under the hood. Whenever I disconnect the negative of the battery under my hood and the battery in the trunk i still see power. I know the amp sees power as well because the protect light is on. What do I need to do to remove the power before i disconnect the amp? I don't want to damage it its only 3 weeks old.

1. Is 8 gauge speaker wire and 8 gauge power wire the same? A shop over here 'only sells 8 gauge power wire, the biggest speaker wire is 12 gauge.' Can I use that for speaker wire as well?
2. I have 2 batteries in the trunk and a voltage readout on my fuse holder under the hood. Whenever I disconnect the negative of the battery under my hood and the battery in the trunk i still see power. I know the amp sees power as well because the protect light is on. What do I need to do to remove the power before i disconnect the amp? I don't want to damage it its only 3 weeks old.
i would get some 0 gage fast i dont know what oyur running for power but if you have 2 batt in the trunk. it must be more then 500 watts so 8 gage ant going to do it very well. you can use it for speaker wire thoe.

if the protect lights are on ?? the remote wire from the hu should cut the power to the lights on the amps. i belive if you just take the power of the amp and the neg of the amp neg first, i dont see it damageing the amp

So you disconnect all the battery's grounds and you still have power. And the Protect light is on, On your amp. Not the turn on/power light.

And yes you can use what ever gauge wire for speaker wire.

So you disconnect all the battery's grounds and you still have power. And the Protect light is on, On your amp. Not the turn on/power light.
And yes you can use what ever gauge wire for speaker wire.
thanks for info about speaker wire, i'm just guessing speaker wire has a different *something* about it versus just regular power wire...i'm using 12 right now but sundown recommends 8 for the 3000d

the voltage readout says 9.7v so i guess it's going into protect because of the low voltage. at first i thought it was just left over current in the wire (already using 0 gauge for power and Big 3) but it never went down. i literally just left my car in the garage cuz if my amp goes poof i'm jumping off a bridge:verymad:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.