2 quality 10's vs 2 average 12's and other questions.

You sir should win a award. You have given me what i needed to know. So, they had the ComR's, Some Rockford Punch 3's, or a Alpine SWS-12D4 12" DVC 4-ohm. Any of these good?
If you were talking to me thanks. I used to have 2 12 inch alpine type s's and those sounded great! they have the old type r technology so they are very reliable and will have great sound quality still retaining some SPL. You'd be safe running one or two type s subwoofers with a good amp. just make sure the amp is 1 or 4 ohm stable. Keep in mind with 2 D4's you have to find an amp that is 1 ohm stable because you'll get the most power out of it at 1 ohm. 4 ohms because it is a high resistance will give considerably less power than an amp at 1 ohm. It can be sometimes hard to find the right amp. I was running a hifonics brx1200.1D to the alpines when I had them and it gave me the right amount of bass I wanted at the time. I ran it in parallel to 1 ohm because it did 1200 watts at 1 ohm. Just make sure when buying an amp that you look at the specs. DO NOT underpower the subwoofers because if you end up distorting them or clipping them, you will blow them. However, if you get an amp that is a little overkill, you'll be less likely to blow the sub because if you tune the amp right, the sub will be getting just the right amount of power and lets put it this way, when the sub is getting just the right amount of power, the sub is "happy" and will not blow nearly as easily if you underpower it and clip it. There are logistics behind why underpowering it is not good but you can pm me about that and I'll answer it the best i can. If you just run one sub, wire the amp to two ohms and you'll be fine.

if you are going with 2 subwoofers make sure you are going to have enough volume in whatever box you build/buy so you dont wind up with starved subwoofers.

with a single subwoofer I think you would have enough room to build a ported box, this will "hit" much lower than a sealed enclosure will do.

If you're listening to rock/country/metal a sealed box will give you everything you are looking for.

If you listen to rap and want to listen to Jeezy's white girl and have the subs frequency response extend all the way down to those notes you may want to consider a ported box

dont get alpine? alpine is a great brand and their new type R's sound fantastic, get loud, dont distort and sound clear and crisp for the price. i have 2 10 inch swr-10d4's and love them. wouldnt replace them unless i get an XCON which i will be doing soon

Im loving those D4's but hating the amp price. $200 for the amp...ugh. That along with the subs eats up all my money.

If i could find some 2 ohms ones that would be great!

Well. Went to a local audio shop. They quoted me $900 for 2 Jl w1's and a 500 watt amp and the box and wiring. I was little mad at the price. My father came over and looked was wonder if their is any danger in a collision if the box was just sitting in the back not below the seat? I also saw some Memphis PR 10's or 12's. One shop said that i would have a hard time hooking up the sub and would have to buy a adapter. Almost every vid i have seen they just hook a wire that turns it on onto a red wire hooked up to the radio. So, now im back to square one. Their are no Step by step videos on hooking up subs for my truck so, im gonna be working on it blind. I could pay to have it done (but thats no fun) and its $900. Are the Jl W1's any good. Iv seen good reviews on the PR 10's and 12's. Seems like $450 doesnt go far at all.

Well after alot of calling and reading up on things. Im leaning towards a underseat design for two Memphis PR 10's. They seem good and loud. The catch is this. I can buy a underseat sub box for about $160 or build one. Im not new to building things with wood at all. Its just that im worried im choking ( hope i spelled that right) the subs of air. im looking at 2.64974 cubic feet. Is that enough. Give or take?

Ok first what truck? Year make model cab configuration (reg,extended,4 door)

Secound 2 10s sealed can sound fantastic I shy away from kicker due to them needing really big boxes.

If you are going to go prefabricated for the box can you link it here? Fox acoustics has a web site so does subthump which are really the only prefabs I would buy for a truck.

3rd memphis are ok but they arent spectacular by any means.

4th how much power due you want? 1000w is easy on most trucks with just a simple big 3 upgrade which I would do at any power level.

what are your goals? Sheer output, loud while retaining some sound quality, or just the best sounding period?

What is your budget? Are you willing to go used? Can you install yourself with some help from us

yes you need a hi/low level converter unless u have an aftermarket cd player. These can be inexpensive but range from basic to full featured depending on install level and budget.

remote turn on is easily tagged in the fuse box.

do u have a dmm or a test light basic tools etc?

Ill help u in anyway I can just to keep you from getting ripped off but I recommend researching alot before actually buying so you get what you want the first time. Im betting 2 pr10s arent going to be satisfying for very long if anything step up to the c3s

Ok first what truck? Year make model cab configuration (reg,extended,4 door)
Secound 2 10s sealed can sound fantastic I shy away from kicker due to them needing really big boxes.

If you are going to go prefabricated for the box can you link it here? Fox acoustics has a web site so does subthump which are really the only prefabs I would buy for a truck.

3rd memphis are ok but they arent spectacular by any means.

4th how much power due you want? 1000w is easy on most trucks with just a simple big 3 upgrade which I would do at any power level.

what are your goals? Sheer output, loud while retaining some sound quality, or just the best sounding period?

What is your budget? Are you willing to go used? Can you install yourself with some help from us

yes you need a hi/low level converter unless u have an aftermarket cd player. These can be inexpensive but range from basic to full featured depending on install level and budget.

remote turn on is easily tagged in the fuse box.

do u have a dmm or a test light basic tools etc?

Ill help u in anyway I can just to keep you from getting ripped off but I recommend researching alot before actually buying so you get what you want the first time. Im betting 2 pr10s arent going to be satisfying for very long if anything step up to the c3s
Ok, the truck is a 2011 F150 supercrew. ( 4 door).

The pre fab box is one they sell ( the store i was gonna buy from). It will fit under the seats. i could make one my self. Just having trouble designing it. Here is a link to a similar box. Ford F-150 Supercrew Cab 09-13 Dual Subwoofer Box it fits my truck, but not my budget.

The only reason i liked the Memphis is because that is the only brand they sold. Im new to subs and brands. Their is so much out their and its kinda daunting trying to sift through all the brands.

Budget is around $450 give or take. Yea, i could do it myself with a little help. Im good with building and electrical. doesnt seem hard to do. Just time consuming.

Can i get a link to a hi/low level converter?

Yea, i got a mutimeter, jig saw, belt sand, misc sockets. The only thing i need is a router or table saw to make things easier.

I would love to run 12's but cant seem to fit them. ( without a safety hazard). I have been trying to do a lot of research but alot is diluted by people fighting over what brand is best...ECT. I listen to mainly country, some rock and rap. I like the thought of 12's but it seem like thats not gonna work. I have seen some good 10's but their out of my price range.

The pre fab box is one they sell ( the store i was gonna buy from). It will fit under the seats. i could make one my self. Just having trouble designing it. Here is a link to a similar box. Ford F-150 Supercrew Cab 09-13 Dual Subwoofer Box it fits my truck, but not my budget.

The only reason i liked the Memphis is because that is the only brand they sold. Im new to subs and brands. Their is so much out their and its kinda daunting trying to sift through all the brands.

Budget is around $450 give or take. Yea, i could do it myself with a little help. Im good with building and electrical. doesnt seem hard to do. Just time consuming.

Yea, i got a mutimeter, jig saw, belt sand, misc sockets. The only thing i need is a router or table saw to make things easier.

I would love to run 12's but cant seem to fit them. ( without a safety hazard). I have been trying to do a lot of research but alot is diluted by people fighting over what brand is best...ECT. I listen to mainly country, some rock and rap. I like the thought of 12's but it seem like thats not gonna work. I have seen some good 10's but their out of my price range.
I would personally go for a single ported 12. Buy a design from Buck. It's not expensive. This would be much cheaper than a pair of 10s. Avoid all this mainstream stuff you keep naming. Check out brands like Incriminator, Tantric, Sundown, and American Bass for subs.

As for an amp, the AudioTechnix 400.1s and 800.1s are pretty cheap and do more power than they are rated for.

I would personally go for a single ported 12. Buy a design from Buck. It's not expensive. This would be much cheaper than a pair of 10s. Avoid all this mainstream stuff you keep naming. Check out brands like Incriminator, Tantric, Sundown, and American Bass for subs.
As for an amp, the AudioTechnix 400.1s and 800.1s are pretty cheap and do more power than they are rated for.
Yea, but i have no room for a 12. I got 8in under my seat

How is that not enough depth for a 12?
Well yea it is. But the seat is not a constant 8in. Its sloped, so its 8 at the front and 5 in the back. I posted some that may help on page one.

If you go with that box I would suggest 10s as the box really doesnt have the air space for 12s. I personally dont see that box being worth 160bucks as its pretty simple to build.

high low level converter cheap and reliable

Rockford Fosgate RFHLC4 4-Channel High-to-Low Level Converter

my sub sugestion 2 of these

JBL CS1014 10" Single 4 Ohm CS Series Car Subwoofer

And this amp

JBL GTO-501EZ Monoblock GTO Series Class D Car Amplifier

add a amp kit from knukonceptz.com

4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Amp Installation Wiring Kit

And thats roughly 400 for subs amp wiring

now my suggestions will sound great but im aiming at more of a sq build rather than a get really loud build which can be achieved at that price range by getting better subs but the cost is a cheaper lower quality amp.

I run a jbl 12 like the one linked above and it sounds fantastic not the loudest buy any means but is sounds really really good and with 2 10s your setup should get louder than mine due to more cone qrea and more power. Plus those jbl amps are the easiest to setup on the market just follow the directions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.