2 quality 10's vs 2 average 12's and other questions.

Pyrofan

CarAudio.com Elite
Ga
So, what would hit better? Two good 10's in a ported box vs 2 average 12's in a ported box. I know that 12's will displace more air, thus being louder but, can you get two 10's that sound better with out paying a fortune? I trying to put subs in a truck and can either do two 10's hidden under the seat or 2 12's sitting out.

Im also having trouble with finding some good ones to buy. Im leaning towards 12's and have seen several good brands. What do yall like? Bestbuy had a sell on some Kicker CompR's that are 800w but that seems over kill for a stock battery. Right? What are some other good 12's or 10's? Im not asking whats the best. Just some good subs (and AMP). Trying to stay close to $150 each. ( or less). My local Kens audio had some Rockford Fosgates but i knew nothing about them. Links are VERY appreciated! Also a AMP to go with them would be helpful!

Thanks guys!

If you're looking to cram something into a too-small sealed box under a truck seat you may as well go for as much cone area as you can. Nothing really nice will have shallow enough mounting depth.

Yea, that why im leaning towards a box that is sitting out where a seat used to be. I can fold up one seat and run 2 12's in a ported box. That should work fine. Just would be an eyesore.

for your application you want to go with a single subwoofer in the biggest box possible(assuming you are limited by space)

could you post a picture of the space under your seats you are talking about

Yea, that why im leaning towards a box that is sitting out where a seat used to be. I can fold up one seat and run 2 12's in a ported box. That should work fine. Just would be an eyesore.
Make it look nice so it isn't an eyesore?

Hopefully these upload. This is not my exact truck but its the same size. You have about 8in at the front of the seat and 5in in the back. Its not high at all. When you raise the seat up, you get a decent about of room. In one of the pics you can see a sub box under the seat. You can fit a Dual 12 sub box in that space.

Nothings really overkill for a stock battery. You can run a 2000 watt sub to a stock battery. Granted, it will cause a huge voltage drop and discharge the battery very quickly with the car off but you can run almost any subwoofer off of a stock battery. The key you have to remember is that for any application above 1000 watts, you may want to do some research into upgrading from the stock electrical system i.e. adding capacitors, batteries, circuit breakers etc. I wouldnt worry too much if you do get some kickers. A lot of Audiophiles dislike Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine etc, but in all reality, their the mainstream car audio buyers choice because they're so readily available on the marketplace. They're like the walmart of car audio or the Justin Bieber of car audio. They basically dominate the industry. There is nothing wrong with any of them. I personally have 2 Pioneer 12 inch TS-W3002D4 wired to 1 ohm off of a Hifonics BRX2400.1D and I love it! They pound and I have a Kinetik KHC-600 battery running in parallel to my Optima yellowtop battery and I have no headlight dimming issues and I have a slight voltage drop but nothing too serious and it runs just fine. In all honesty, Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine etc all make great products, almost all of Kicker, Alpine, and Pioneer's equipment are CEA-2006 compliant meaning they will do what they say and I see no problem in buying any of them. Its a great start to car audio if your first getting into it. You can get into other types of audio like Sundown audio, HDC, Orion, etc. They're all about high end high performance car audio.

You sir should win a award. You have given me what i needed to know. So, they had the ComR's, Some Rockford Punch 3's, or a Alpine SWS-12D4 12" DVC 4-ohm. Any of these good?

Don't think about a box designed for your truck.

Instead think about a box designed for your speaker/speakers....then consider weather or not this will fit.

starving subs for air will leave you disappointed in the low end freq. response. You might be able to kill it in the high 40-50 hz range but 32 hz is where things get fun

I still say one subwoofer. You might be able to get away with 2 smaller 10's in a sealed enclosure but you would be happier with a beefier subwoofer in a ported box

So your saying that even with my seats folded up, i cant fit a box? I have a 30'' by 57'' open area of space i could use. Every 12 box iv seen would fit. Im not looking to have pristine sound or break DB records, im looking for subs for a truck. What yall may think ****, i would think their bee's knees. This is my first sub. Its also kinda hard to design a box for your subs when you have no idea what your getting. Hopefully this doesnt come across as mean.

EDIT: i also may not port it cause that seems like a pain in the *** to design.

I think you have plenty of room for a great setup.

Just make sure your box is designed properly for your subwoofer(s).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.