2 quality 10's vs 2 average 12's and other questions.

If you go with that box I would suggest 10s as the box really doesnt have the air space for 12s. I personally dont see that box being worth 160bucks as its pretty simple to build.
high low level converter cheap and reliable

Rockford Fosgate RFHLC4 4-Channel High-to-Low Level Converter

my sub sugestion 2 of these

JBL CS1014 10" Single 4 Ohm CS Series Car Subwoofer

And this amp

JBL GTO-501EZ Monoblock GTO Series Class D Car Amplifier

add a amp kit from knukonceptz.com

4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Amp Installation Wiring Kit

And thats roughly 400 for subs amp wiring

now my suggestions will sound great but im aiming at more of a sq build rather than a get really loud build which can be achieved at that price range by getting better subs but the cost is a cheaper lower quality amp.

I run a jbl 12 like the one linked above and it sounds fantastic not the loudest buy any means but is sounds really really good and with 2 10s your setup should get louder than mine due to more cone qrea and more power. Plus those jbl amps are the easiest to setup on the market just follow the directions.
Wow. Thanks for all that. Yea, those seem nice but you said their not that loud. Would they rattle the truck? I want some loud bass. Sound quality isnt that high on the list cause i cant really tell what is good and bad. I have nothing to base it on. LOL. Im a little worried on the box. Been playing on sketchup with a design but not sure if it need to fire up, straigt towards the back or driver, or down?

[quote name='Pyrofan']Wow. Thanks for all that. Yea, those seem nice but you said their not that loud. Would they rattle the truck? I want some loud bass. Sound quality isnt that high on the list cause i cant really tell what is good and bad. I have nothing to base it on. LOL. Im a little worried on the box. Been playing on sketchup with a design but not sure if it need to fire up, straigt towards the back or driver, or down?[/QUOTE]

If I wanted louder keeping everything the same except the subs I would maybe get two sound solutions audio dcon 10s in than box or

1 sundown sd2 12 in a ported box 2.25cubes ported to about 32hz whick @Buck; can help you with a box design

[quote name='winkychevelle']If I wanted louder keeping everything the same except the subs I would maybe get two sound solutions audio dcon 10s in than box or

1 sundown sd2 12 in a ported box 2.25cubes ported to about 32hz whick @Buck; can help you with a box design[/QUOTE]

Will he help for free? Can you only buy them from SSA? a 21+ day build time + shipping. May take awhile to get here.

Will he help for free? Can you only buy them from SSA? a 21+ day build time + shipping. May take awhile to get here.
He usually is the cheapest he was charging just a dollar hence his name but that was a good while ago I would pm him about it and ask hes a real good guy overall

and yea ssa is pretty much the only place to get those subs maybe 1800woofers.com but both sites are owned by the same people.

In a Pinch infinity reference subs are really good in the budget category and are really efficient.

That budget is hard to work with maybe pm @mylows; and see what he offers since he is a dealer for quite a few brands he tends to be cheaper while still retaining full warranty

[quote name='winkychevelle']If I wanted louder keeping everything the same except the subs I would maybe get two sound solutions audio dcon 10s in than box or

1 sundown sd2 12 in a ported box 2.25cubes ported to about 32hz whick @Buck; can help you with a box design[/QUOTE]

What's the box for?

One $80.00 ten inch woofer outperforming a plurality of more expensive fifteens:

The box in the bed of the truck is a kerfed port, double layered baffle enclosure with a $150.00 Skar IVX-15 in it and the little Jibble 10 hits way better and way lower.

Buy a good speaker and design the box to fit the speaker. And... price doesn't equal quality, because that JBL GTO costs less than the 10" Skar IVX... and handles MUCH more power than it's rated for.

One $80.00 ten inch woofer outperforming a plurality of more expensive fifteens:

Jbl is always a good brand. Problem with his situation is if he gets a prefap its really hard to find subs that get loud in sealed boxes. But custom ported boxes are either pricey or more difficult to design. 2 8s ported under the back seat would be my pick but that pushes budget out of the range he wants to spend

The 8" version of the sub in my video above can be had for $60.00 each and they are very good little 8s. I've used them in sealed and in a 6th order on two different builds and they sound great.

And regarding the difficulty of building a ported box... and not to be rude but, why bother posting a vs thread and asking what's best if you're not willing to take a few extra hours or spend a few extra dollars getting a good sounding system?

I mean, we're not talking about something you have to do every day in order to have a good sounding system.

It's like getting a tattoo... if you want that pretty artwork on you body for the next 30 years, then you have to put up with a few hours of pain and a few weeks of healing. What's two week of inconvenience compared to 30 years of enjoyment?

Not much in my opinion.

The 8" version of the sub in my video above can be had for $60.00 each and they are very good little 8s. I've used them in sealed and in a 6th order on two different builds and they sound great.
And regarding the difficulty of building a ported box... and not to be rude but, why bother posting a vs thread and asking what's best if you're not willing to take a few extra hours or spend a few extra dollars getting a good sounding system?

I mean, we're not talking about something you have to do every day in order to have a good sounding system.

It's like getting a tattoo... if you want that pretty artwork on you body for the next 30 years, then you have to put up with a few hours of pain and a few weeks of healing. What's two week of inconvenience compared to 30 years of enjoyment?

Not much in my opinion.
I am not opposed at all to building a ported box. Im a little confused on how it would fit under the seat about i could probably build one with plans. I may sound dumb here but, how would two 8's sound anywhere near as loud or "powerful" ,for lack of a better term, as two 10's or 12's? I thought as you went down in size, the more precise the bass but not a loud or vibrating. Am i wrong?

EDIT: Buck i PM'ed you. Here are the pictures. hopefully this helps!

I am not opposed at all to building a ported box. Im a little confused on how it would fit under the seat about i could probably build one with plans. I may sound dumb here but, how would two 8's sound anywhere near as loud or "powerful" ,for lack of a better term, as two 10's or 12's? I thought as you went down in size, the more precise the bass but not a loud or vibrating. Am i wrong?
Size of the cone has nothing to due with how a sub sounds its all in the sub enclosure.

2-8s have roughly the same cone area as 1-12 but you have two motors pushing the same amount of air this with the increase in power handling generally means the 8s just edge out 1 12 but it no garrantee.

But think of it this way 1 12 generally need 2 cubes of airspace to perform as it should. But 2 8s only need 1.25cubes which is easier to get in tight spaces but requires more power to achieve the same result. 1 10 only needs 1.25 to perform but it has less cone area so it needs to be pushed harder to achieve the same result. Its really a game of what you want in terms of power, space, and budget.

And its quite amazing what 2 8s can do nowadays. With the space you have you could do 4 sd2 8s on 1200w but it would bounce your budget

Size of the cone has nothing to due with how a sub sounds its all in the sub enclosure.
2-8s have roughly the same cone area as 1-12 but you have two motors pushing the same amount of air this with the increase in power handling generally means the 8s just edge out 1 12 but it no garrantee.

But think of it this way 1 12 generally need 2 cubes of airspace to perform as it should. But 2 8s only need 1.25cubes which is easier to get in tight spaces but requires more power to achieve the same result. 1 10 only needs 1.25 to perform but it has less cone area so it needs to be pushed harder to achieve the same result. Its really a game of what you want in terms of power, space, and budget.

And its quite amazing what 2 8s can do nowadays. With the space you have you could do 4 sd2 8s on 1200w but it would bounce your budget
Yea, thats gonna end up quite a bit over. After do alot of research. I really just wanna run two 10's. 12's are great but wont fit in my truck. I just want some loud subs. I can turn them down when i want higher quality music. Would the PR 10's be loud and make me happy? These other subs are either a) too expensive or b) take to long to get. What is a good 10in sub with in my now $450 to $475 budget? I mean Sub, amp, and all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.