2 low quality vs 1 high quality

Some say it wont, but others say it will. It is a 20% increase in power, which is a lot on paper. All I know is that compared to when I had the single 10 hooked up it is nowhere near as punchy, which is why I was thinking it needs more power. I am really considering upgrading it all, but I have heard that the JBL's are decent quality. I could do a new box, but as stated I have been through that tons of times, and it seems my prefab is sufficient. Wiring, had a GM tech install it, he knows his stuff (so it seems) and I used 4 gauge power and ground, 16 gauge to the speakers. Thanks.
prefabs ****, unless it is with a certain subwoofer that its built for. But I still have had bad luck with prefabs. The only prefabs that I know of that sound good are the ones built for jl subs, with the jl subs in them

What about carpeting the enclosure?? I have tried building one before, turned out to be more trouble than it is worth because we messed it up and then had to do it all over again. I can get a custom box for around $100. I am looking at the elemental designs subs. I hear they are good, plus they sell custom boxes for them which I can get a package deal on.

well building a box correctly is very easy, and its not worth the extra 80, for someone to build it for you. And I assume that you will upgrade your stuff in the future and go for something better, you would wish you can do such things, there is always a start. Almost everyones first box is not perfect, but if you take your time with it you would sure to get it right. As for carpeting I saw someone post this vid, and its perfect for the newbs.

http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_vid...5a1a4a6e1b9770

OK, I may do that on the box. Now, which setup would give the best performance, my JBL's or about a $150 sub (not sure on brand) in a decent box (would it be worth the cost)? If I could find a good amp that would do 500 watts @ 1 or 4 ohms, I would try that first, then do subs later, however, it seems that will not work well later. Also, I had considered keeping all I have and adding a component set, but not sure. Which way should i go with this? Thanks.

I will bet you $20 you can. In a setup that small in power (which I so happen to own one of similar power), you can tell a huge difference.
10*log(500/400) = .97db (maximum)

After you factor in power compression/etc, you're realistically looking at about .75db or less, which in subbass is going to be barely audible at best.

Just gaining up with a tone I could easily tell a difference between 500wrms and the 550wrms I'm set at now.
10*log(550/500) = .41db (maximum)

Power compression/etc, realistically it's going to be even less than that.

If you could "easily tell a difference" of less than .5db in the subbass frequency region, you are a rare human indeed.

If you could "easily tell a difference" of less than .5db in the subbass frequency region, you are a rare human indeed.
It takes about a dB for me to tell the difference, and this must be in a very short time span (like another click of the volume knob).

prefabs ****, unless it is with a certain subwoofer that its built for. But I still have had bad luck with prefabs. The only prefabs that I know of that sound good are the ones built for jl subs, with the jl subs in them
kicker spec'd boxes have always sounded good with kicker stuff, i would never put anything in a prefab unless it was spec'd to the specific sub by the manufacturer

10*log(500/400) = .97db (maximum)
After you factor in power compression/etc, you're realistically looking at about .75db or less, which in subbass is going to be barely audible at best.

10*log(550/500) = .41db (maximum)

Power compression/etc, realistically it's going to be even less than that.

Love it squeak.. you're one of the best contributors here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok, that is the first time I have saw numbers on this. I probably will stay around 400-500 watts. I am not sure yet whether or not I will be getting a new amp (for the new sub). I know one high quality 12 will do better than 2 low quality 10s, but I am not sure about 1 hq 10 compared to my 2 JBL's. Also, JBL seems to be decent quality, so is a sub for around 175 bucks going to be audibly different than the JBL's? It looks like I will try to build my own box as well, so no sucky prefab. Thanks.

porting the subs you have now will be where you hear the biggest difference.....I even think one of those subs ported on the same amp would be louder than the setup you have now.

By porting the box its going to take less to make them move more.

Sealed is the total opposite and therefor the 400w you have now will get the subs moving a lot more when ported

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.