2 low quality vs 1 high quality

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Arkansas
I currently have 2 10 inch JBL subs, their entry level GTO series. My amp doesnt seem to be pushing them well (about 100 watts to little). I was looking at an amp upgrade, but I can not find one for under $200 that will put out 500 watts at 4 ohms. So, how would it work out if I got a Alpine amp, probably 400 or 500 watts, and then invested 150-200 in a new sub of higher quality (10 or 12). Would the higher quality single sub and proper wattage do better than my current setup? Thanks.

upgrade the amp and see how it sounds, cadence has amps that cheap on their discount and clearance all the time. You could also try wiring them in 1 ohm. Its better to have more power then not enough, so I would buy a really expensive, powerful amp and wait on buying a new sub of higher quality.

The box is probably one of the bigger determinants of the sub soundquality anyway.

If you are talking about going from a 400 watt amp to a 500 watt amp, chances are the performance increase wouldn't be worth it.
This is the reason that I am considering going with a single higher quality sub. I got a good friend wanting to get into car audio (more SPL). I have some old stuff that doesnt suit me, but he loves it, so I will let him use that and sell my amp to him (OLD Fosgate 360a2. That is the reason I was going with a new amp, but then I got to thinking as you said, 100 watts, not really worth it, so for about the same cost I could do a new sub/box/amp. So, what do you think the sound would be like going from my subs to a new better quality one? I have heard huge debates on sealed boxes, prefab vs. custom, and most seem to think that as long as it is put together decently, 3/4 MDF, and meets space requirements prefab is fine for sealed applications. Your thoughts on which way I should go? Thanks.

If you are talking about going from a 400 watt amp to a 500 watt amp, chances are the performance increase wouldn't be worth it.
Agreed. Not worth the money/time for a barely audible difference.

If your not happy with your set-up...sell it.

Add some cash on top of what you get for your set-up and then buy yourself a nice single 12" Set-up and amp from the classifieds here.

The thought of buying used scares me. What I would like to do is a IDQ10v3 and 500 watt amp. However, if I did that I would HAVE to go with a prefab box. With a cheaper sub I might could pay someone to build me one (I wish I could, but I can not do it myself). Again, I dont know that paying someone to do a sealed box would be worth it though. Anyone else care to voice their opinion? Thanks.

I currently have 2 10 inch JBL subs, their entry level GTO series. My amp doesnt seem to be pushing them well (about 100 watts to little). I was looking at an amp upgrade, but I can not find one for under $200 that will put out 500 watts at 4 ohms. So, how would it work out if I got a Alpine amp, probably 400 or 500 watts, and then invested 150-200 in a new sub of higher quality (10 or 12). Would the higher quality single sub and proper wattage do better than my current setup? Thanks.
jbl subs are good quality,

what box are they in?

lots of 800-1000 watt amps for 200 buks.

let em wang:veryhapp:

My amp puts out 180x2 bridged, my subs are rated at 250 rms, so I am pushing 360 watts to subs that can take 500. Again, this goes back to the box thing. I have a prefab sealed. I have resealed all joints, and it fits the ideal space. From what I have gathered, buying a new amp for my JBL's is pointless. I know the GTI's are good, but have not heard anything about the GTO's, which is what I have. So, what do you guys suggest doing? Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

You cannot hear the difference between 400 and 500 watts.
I will bet you $20 you can. In a setup that small in power (which I so happen to own one of similar power), you can tell a huge difference. Just gaining up with a tone I could easily tell a difference between 500wrms and the 550wrms I'm set at now.

well heres what you do, sell the equipment, add some cash to it. And look in the classifieds section here. There would be no problem if you buy used here, as long you make sure you know who you are dealing with and they have alot of referances. People do it on this site all the time, the ones who get scammed usually dont research the user name or deal with someone with no referances. After you do that, have someone design you a box for what ever you get, and have them make you a cut sheet. Usually someone on this site will do this for you for 5 bucks. Go to home depot, and buy some 3/4 mdf board, usually its 20-25. Have them cut it there, make sure they cut it right, measure each peice, and if they cut it wrong, then demand or another peice or just go to another home depot. All it takes to build a box is a drill, screws and wood glue, which is all cheap, if you dont have a drill, im sure you know someone who would let you borrow one. And some clamps to make it easyer, or you can have someone help you hold the peices. This will be the cheapest way to go man. And I am sure that people on this site will help you guide your way through this process. Take your time to make your setup the way you like it. And you will learn alot also, so you dont have to buy "custom" boxes that are 200+ when you can do it yourself for 25. If you dont want to spend your time doing this, then stop wasting our time.

Some say it wont, but others say it will. It is a 20% increase in power, which is a lot on paper. All I know is that compared to when I had the single 10 hooked up it is nowhere near as punchy, which is why I was thinking it needs more power. I am really considering upgrading it all, but I have heard that the JBL's are decent quality. I could do a new box, but as stated I have been through that tons of times, and it seems my prefab is sufficient. Wiring, had a GM tech install it, he knows his stuff (so it seems) and I used 4 gauge power and ground, 16 gauge to the speakers. Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.