2 American Bass XFL 1244 & Phantom 4000 MD

Syntaxx7x
10+ year member

Just got the system installed about a month ago by Auto Radio, in Tucker, GA.. Install was not really up too my liking.. Cause I'm kinda picky.. (Will send attach pics later...)

Just some info.. I have 2010 Camaro.. Factory Boston Acoustics system.

2 12" American Bass XFL subs in a sealed box.. Volume is about 1ft^3.

and they are powered by a American Bass Phantom 4000 MD amp.

For starters.. the system sounds really good... I know it can sound better.. (bigger box, ported/vented... etc..) but I would have to do a custom build inside the trunk for that.

I've been reading the reviews on these subs.. and I decided to get them.. after being referred by my Installer.. (was going to get some Alpine 12" Type R).. Had them 5 weeks.. and yesterday the amp blew.... was just driving and started smelling smoke... turned the system off... Let it cool down on the way to work.. and it wouldn't crank back up.. So I go back to shop and he says 1 sub blew..!?! which cause the amp to blow.. !!?? I don't know much.. But is this possible..?? and is this rare.. I never touched the amp and it was set at about 60-65% gain... Said he would replace the sub and amp tomorrow.

I've been reading the reviews on these subs.. and I decided to get them.. after being referred by my Installer.. (was going to get some Alpine 12" Type R).. Had them 5 weeks.. and yesterday the amp blew.... was just driving and started smelling smoke... turned the system off... Let it cool down on the way to work.. and it wouldn't crank back up.. So I go back to shop and he says 1 sub blew..!?! which cause the amp to blow.. !!?? I don't know much.. But is this possible..?? and is this rare.. I never touched the amp and it was set at about 60-65% gain... Said he would replace the sub and amp tomorrow.
completely plausible. but test it all yourself

completely plausible. but test it all yourself

Well I was sitting there when he tested the sub with a battery.. so I know the sub blew.. and he hooked the amp back up and it and it flipped between protection to on a couple of times then I heard a click.. and smoke started coming out.

Just got the system installed about a month ago by Auto Radio, in Tucker, GA.. Install was not really up too my liking.. Cause I'm kinda picky.. (Will send attach pics later...)
Just some info.. I have 2010 Camaro.. Factory Boston Acoustics system.

2 12" American Bass XFL subs in a sealed box.. Volume is about 1ft^3.

and they are powered by a American Bass Phantom 4000 MD amp.

For starters.. the system sounds really good... I know it can sound better.. (bigger box, ported/vented... etc..) but I would have to do a custom build inside the trunk for that.
IF that amp does rated and you have completely stock electrical, and both subs share 1 cubic foot then you and your installer both are idiots. You probably starved the amp to death, taking out a perfectly good sub in the process(though clipping at low voltage, I would guess) because you probably are not even smart enough to purchase a $25 dash mounted voltmeter that would help you prevent such things....what size power and ground wire did he run? where is the ground located? Sanded and bolted? Stock staring battery?...etc, etc, etc...

If I am wrong and you do have the electrical upgrades necessary for such a powerful system, then I regress........but I doubt it.

I apologize about being an Idiot.. But I don't know about this stuff..

I thin each sub has about 1 ft each...

it is stock electrical..

there is a voltage meter in the car.. and it never goes under 12.. comes stock with the gauge package with the car... and it's on the capacitor...

So i guess it would be redundant to buy a dash mounted voltage meter..

Voltage and ground are both 0 gauge i believe.. and it is a stock battery.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

I went to auto radio in tucker.. right off of Hwy 78.. Stone Mtn Industrial exit.

looks like 4ga..thought so...1 cube ea aint' too bad for airspace sealed. You should get your money back on the burnt sub, swap the good one for a D2 and pay someone here to build and ship you the same size(or a little wider) ported for 1 XFL on the PH4000. Run at least 2ga and do a Big 3 with the biggest AGM deep cycle that will fit up front...and a dash digital mounted volt meter to keep a close eye on the things that really matter.

He's going to put in a new sub and new amp for free..

2 ga to speakers???

is big three that important?? and would the 1 12 sound better than 2 12's in sealed box?? The only prob is.. you can't fit the proper sized box in the trunk because of

the opening.. did you see the opening?? it's really small... do you know any shops in GA that build?? How much would it run??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Syntaxx7x

10+ year member
Syntaxx7x
Atlanta, GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views