audiopipe apsm 1500d

Participant count
  • Participant list

abrhino
10+ year member

Big White King Kong
middle TN
I recently purchased an Apsm1500d on eBay for $122. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality of this "budget" amp. Well I needed around 1500rms and was on a strict budget. I've never been turned off by the holier than thou audiophiles that hate on anything entry level.. so anyways I purchased this amp online and I was impressed initially.

The footprint was small. This is a very compact amp. It doesn't feel cheaply made. The heatsink, the finish, the knobs and terminals all seem up to par with amps twice the price. This little tank also came with a fuse holder and bass knob. Both were extremely handy and pleasing to look at. Eacpecially the billet and black bass knob that matched my car interior.

Performance- holy shiit! After I tuned it in properly I was amazed at how loud and low the bass was. My windshield wipers flex with the low notes. I couldn't be happier with the output. This thing puts a ton of clean power to my sub. There really isn't a thing I can say bad about the amp.

One minor issue, if I had to nitpick would be the fan. Its loud on the initial start up but its nearly inaudible within 30 seconds. I wouldn't let that steer me away from this amp tho. The wattage per dollar is unbeatable.

nice compact review, those amps arent top of the line but for the price they are pretty good. i have a shark audio 2500 in the mail now as a cheap beater amp to play with, am hoping for good results also.

I'm not one to diss all lower lines, but that APSM doesn't put out a clean 1500W any way you slice it. It comes close, but no 1500. That loudness you're experiencing is most likely you being well into the distortion region. How are you verifying the power is clean?

I'm not one to diss all lower lines, but that APSM doesn't put out a clean 1500W any way you slice it. It comes close, but no 1500. That loudness you're experiencing is most likely you being well into the distortion region. How are you verifying the power is clean?
have you tried the shark audio 2500?? id like to see the clean wattage it can produce.

have you tried the shark audio 2500?? id like to see the clean wattage it can produce.
I haven't, but clamp results I've seen of it on one of the other forums a while back was more of the same story. Really, there's no way to know without a scope. I'm not holding out much hope, though. Ballpark figure? I'd say it'll do 80% of rated power before it starts distorting the signal.

a lot of tests on the apsm 1500 and it does not look good. A lot of them show 900-1000 clean before distorting on the O-scope. Its power but its not clean power. Distortion really fools your ears into thinking your bass is "holy SH*!T loud and low" There's a difference when you hear 1500 clean RMS vs 1500 dirtied rms. It should be fine though, your american bass sub is built like a tank, it can handle a dirty sanchez from the amp.

I haven't, but clamp results I've seen of it on one of the other forums a while back was more of the same story. Really, there's no way to know without a scope. I'm not holding out much hope, though. Ballpark figure? I'd say it'll do 80% of rated power before it starts distorting the signal.
i just seen a clamp test a few mins ago before i got to work on the shark 2500d. it did alittle over 1600 @ 3.3ohms rising from 1 ohm nominal. not to shabby i say. i mean honestly from what i have seen they are a bit heavier then the apsm2k's. and the heat sink is not as compact so that should help with some of the heat. i have the apsm2k right now and like everyone else for what it is, it did nicely on my hdc3 18 wired to 1 ohm. I know they dont clamp clean power but i think i was ok since it was music and i know i have rise

nice compact review, those amps arent top of the line but for the price they are pretty good. i have a shark audio 2500 in the mail now as a cheap beater amp to play with, am hoping for good results also.
Trade you mint 1 3/4 month old apsm for it.

I've good good wire and batts. Voltage never drops below 13v. I can't say it is 100% efficient and I'm not here saying it is. I'm pleased with the output. Bottom line. It is nice and strong power for a steal of a price

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

abrhino

10+ year member
Big White King Kong
abrhino
middle TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies