2 12's sealed or 1 15 ported?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DMV1919
10+ year member

Im looking for a setup that will be pretty loud but i still want to be able to tell the difference in the pitches

my current setup is two mtx 12's (worst model) in a prefab sealed box with an old 300watt jensen 4ch amp and the subs are only running on one channel

i know either option (2 12's or 1 15) with a new amp will be a big upgrade but what do yall think?

its going in a 95 camaro. i was planning on building the box to fit in the factory t-top storage. i have some pictures and measurements i can post after work if it helps

First thing, space is an important factor. You need to figure out how much air volume (measured in cu. ft.) your enclosure is going to afford, and then find subs that work well in that space. At this point, it sounds like a good single 12, in the correct ported enclosure and properly powered would probably kill both of your existing subs. Just an assumption without actually knowing what subs you have and how much power they are actually getting as well as enclosure details.

I can guarantee you that there are at least 5 or 10 other threads with the same question you're asking. Use the search function. Also, it depends if you're talking about the same sub in different sizes, or 2 different subs. This can be factor as well.

Car Audio Subwoofer - Thunder8000 | MTX Audio

this is what i currently have in about a 2.5 cube sealed box and they had maybe 75W a piece going to them

i think i want to go with a good single 12 (was thinking maybe a SA-12 or Lethal Injection 12) ported with an aero port to save room and because the box has to be an awkward shape to fit in the t-top storage

this is a side view of my plan. this will give me about 2.95 cubes after sub displacement and before and ports

i still havent decided on the amp maybe a hifonics HFi 1000.1D or an MB Quart ONX1.1000D, any suggestions welcome for this.

my question is will about a 33hz tuning be possible with aero ports, and if there will really be that big of a difference b/w the SA and LI?

First off, there's a good piece of advise floating around most forums: The correct enclosure is the largest factor in ideal sub performance. Even a lot of the cheapest

subs can sound decent in the right box. Second issue, you're REALLY under-powering them. These may be cheap subs, but you never really gave them a fair shot.

2.95 Cubes sounds a little big for the Lethal Injection 12. Check out this page: Incriminator Audio: No Chrome, No Carbon Fiber, No BS! Period

You can also go to Precision Sound Products page to figure out port length for tuning here: Products Menu

thanks for the help guys just one last question: i have to mount the sub on the top where its 15.5" across, could i mount a 15" sub there? the inside of the box would only be 13.5" after taking away .75" away bc of the mdf

Seriously any quality sub, properly accommodated (enclosure, power, etc), is going to sound better and be louder than than what you have/had. You're really in a win/win situation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.