1x 12" AND 2x 10" subs

Dylanhope16

CarAudio.com Newbie
So my 2016 Jeep wrangler currently has a custom 3 cubic foot sub box with 2 12" pyle's in it. I certainly get a deep response out of them but not a whole lot of "high end"(I say high end relative to subwoofer frequencies) and they're not super punchy. Basically they're just good for a "low wavy bass"(if that makes any sense). I was thinking I could build a new box with just one 12" sub to maintain some of that low tone and 2 10" subs. I know that your not supposed to put different speakers in the same box but I would put an internal divider between the 12" and 2 10's so it would technically be two boxes in one. The new design will be mostly the same as the old one accept for the divider and speaker placement. I'm also using mdf to build this but if I get good responses to my idea, I might consider going the extra mile to build a fiberglass box molded around the wheel well. I'm also considering porting. I don't know if I should port the 12" side or the 10" side or both or none. I also understand I shouldn't run the three speakers on the same channel from the amp but I have a 2-channel sub amp, so I was thinking run the 12" to one channel and the 10's either in parallel or series(depending on ohms) to the other channel and tune each channel accordingly. So if anybody has done this before or has thoughts/ideas, I'd appreciate some input.

Well then you would have to keep them both sealed or port them both. A ported and sealed enclosure in the same vehicle will cause wave cancellation. Talk to @Buck. He designs enclosures and would be a good option to make it sound right.

Just get two decent 10's and a box for them. If you are strapped, then, put a new top on the box that you have and cut the holes for the 10's. The box is too small for 2-12's. It won't be ideal, but it will work until you have the money to do it right.

Do not mix and match subs ever. Buy better quality sub(s) and most importantly buy/build the correct box.
The different subs would be in different sealed enclosures. It would be like having a 12" in one box and having another box with two 10's in it. I'm not trying to sound argumentative, I'm just trying to clarify what I mean. Are you saying having different sized subs in different enclosure within the same vehicle is a bad idea?

Just get two decent 10's and a box for them. If you are strapped, then, put a new top on the box that you have and cut the holes for the 10's. The box is too small for 2-12's. It won't be ideal, but it will work until you have the money to do it right.
I have the money to do whatever needs to be done correctly. Are you saying just use the two 12's I currently have and add two 10's to the same box? I think that would create some issue with the internal volume being too small. Also there's not a large enough area on the box to mount an additional two subs. Or are you saying to buy 10's to replace the 12's? That would be worse, no? The current box I'm using is large enough for two 12's. It's 3 cubic feet and the manufacturer of the subs recommends 1.5 cubic feet per speaker.

I have the money to do whatever needs to be done correctly. Are you saying just use the two 12's I currently have and add two 10's to the same box? I think that would create some issue with the internal volume being too small. Also there's not a large enough area on the box to mount an additional two subs. Or are you saying to buy 10's to replace the 12's? That would be worse, no? The current box I'm using is large enough for two 12's. It's 3 cubic feet and the manufacturer of the subs recommends 1.5 cubic feet per speaker.

So, what amp are you using? What model speakers are you using? There are a lot better options out there than Pyle subwoofers. What is your goal and budget?

here's the original design that I'm currently using with two 12's and two tuned ports between them

So, what amp are you using? What model speakers are you using? There are a lot better options out there than Pyle subwoofers. What is your goal and budget?
i know the pyles are kinda garbage. at the time I installed them, I was on a budget but I'm ready to spend some money. Forget what amp off the top of my head. My goal is to build a box with two separated internal volumes. One sealed volume would have a single 12". The other would have two 10". I would either port both volumes or niether(that can be figured out later). I'd use a 2-channel amp( one channel per volume) and tune each channel accordingly. As for budget... I'd probably be willing to drop a few hundred on nice speakers. I already have a nice amp. And I can build enclosures on my own for cheap

So all 4 subs are pyles? Even one quality 12 in a ported box would hit harder and sound better than any combo of those pyles. But if you’re dead set on using them then I’d do the 2 12s in a ported box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.