1st Tune with iPhone SPL meter

Participant count
  • Participant list

West

Banned
Well I tried the Decibel 10th app for iPhone and test tones to tune my system. It worked fairly well although the meter bounced around... a lot. I don't see how anyone could do 31 bands of EQ by ear unless they were really talented.

I had no idea how off I the EQ was, its not 100% accurate, but the levels are much more balanced. The music sounds much better now. I didn't do the bass bands, I'll wait unit my microphone and software arrive for those.

What it looks like for my car

photo-1.jpg

so what does that have to do with spl?
If you use test tunes at different frequencies (recorded at the same level) you can use an SPL meter to balance the levels.

Play the tune, record the level on the SPL, than adjust.

It only took about 30 minutes. But you have to hold the meter close to your ears.

Is it free? I forgot I had the spl meters from jl and fosgate. Will test those on way home
Yes that one is free (Decibel 10th), you may want to reduce the sampling frequency under settings (the i button).

It gives you a running tally of the past data at the top which is helpful.

Is that a graph of the whole system EQd at once? Also, you made a relatively simple RTA tune into a real chore. You should use an RTA set to 1/3 octave, or 31 bands, to match the head unit's 31 bands.

the only iPhone app i trust is made by Studio Six Digital called Audio Tools. it is not free. but you can get the iAudioInterface and have a good mic, mic preamp, and use that software for very good and accurate measurements. of note, the JL Audio app is also made by Studio Six Digital.

note that the iPhone mic has a very steep rolloff that starts around 200Hz (to account for wind noise). anything below 100Hz is purely fabricated information and not reliable. i know this because i have graphs of the mic response for each iPhone model (provided to me from the engineers at Studio Six Digital).

lastly, the included mic is noisy and highly subject to direction - it is not an omni-mic. while you may get a general idea, which can offer some improvement, don't rely on it solely.

lastly, mic location will result in nulls if held still. the mic should be moved around during the measurement to take an average of the space. but you want to wear soft gloves when handling the iPhone so you don't induce noise by touching the casing.

I had to do some fairly detailed research on engineers using iPad's (every employee in my firm (400+) received an iPad for our firm's 50th anniversary) and many have iPhones (employees also have access to these with unlimited data, also paid for) as it relates to field measurements of noise in buildings. it makes sense to let employees use these and free apps to take measurements while in the field. problem is that we don't have any way of being confident that the octave or 1/3 octave levels don't include other sources since we weren't there. the problem with an RTA is that it measures everything - not just the source of interest. all sound in each frequency band adds logarithmically. identifying the difference between noise and source requires a careful and deliberate approach to taking a measurement. how the equipment is handled and used is important.

Is that a graph of the whole system EQd at once? Also, you made a relatively simple RTA tune into a real chore. You should use an RTA set to 1/3 octave, or 31 bands, to match the head unit's 31 bands.
I have one ordered, I was playing around with this. It did much better than the autotune the p99rs has. lol

Still not where it needs to be by far.

the only iPhone app i trust is made by Studio Six Digital called Audio Tools. it is not free. but you can get the iAudioInterface and have a good mic, mic preamp, and use that software for very good and accurate measurements. of note, the JL Audio app is also made by Studio Six Digital.
note that the iPhone mic has a very steep rolloff that starts around 200Hz (to account for wind noise). anything below 100Hz is purely fabricated information and not reliable. i know this because i have graphs of the mic response for each iPhone model (provided to me from the engineers at Studio Six Digital).

lastly, the included mic is noisy and highly subject to direction - it is not an omni-mic. while you may get a general idea, which can offer some improvement, don't rely on it solely.

lastly, mic location will result in nulls if held still. the mic should be moved around during the measurement to take an average of the space. but you want to wear soft gloves when handling the iPhone so you don't induce noise by touching the casing.

I had to do some fairly detailed research on engineers using iPad's (every employee in my firm (400+) received an iPad for our firm's 50th anniversary) and many have iPhones (employees also have access to these with unlimited data, also paid for) as it relates to field measurements of noise in buildings. it makes sense to let employees use these and free apps to take measurements while in the field. problem is that we don't have any way of being confident that the octave or 1/3 octave levels don't include other sources since we weren't there. the problem with an RTA is that it measures everything - not just the source of interest. all sound in each frequency band adds logarithmically. identifying the difference between noise and source requires a careful and deliberate approach to taking a measurement. how the equipment is handled and used is important.
I noticed how sensitive the mic was to position. It seems to have drastic roll offs in unexpected places as you mentioned. I wasn't expecting much and didn't get a whole lot. lol I have the gear I need on order so we will wait and see how it goes. I always appreciate the advice!

if you are really careful, and take a wide range of measurements at various angles and positions, then average all of the results, you could maybe look to that.

but the new equipment you are getting can give you the results you need.

soon you will realize how noisy laptops are. i typically disable wireless (through device manager) when using TrueRTA. it can pick up internal noise if you are not careful.

if you are really careful, and take a wide range of measurements at various angles and positions, then average all of the results, you could maybe look to that.
but the new equipment you are getting can give you the results you need.

soon you will realize how noisy laptops are. i typically disable wireless (through device manager) when using TrueRTA. it can pick up internal noise if you are not careful.
I never even considered electrical noise...

>.

I actually hear it sometimes when I use pandora.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.