Pre outbm dillema

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alex81
10+ year member

I was getting ready to order the pioneer avh 4400 BT.

Then I saw that the Pioneer 940 nav unit is much cheaper then getting the 4400

then adding the NAV package. Problem is the 940 only has 2 volt pre outs compared to the

4400, 4 volt outputs. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your system not capable of getting near as loud as it would with the 4 volt outs? I am almost certain but wanted to hear your expertise

Is there any mod or upgrade available to fix this?

Appreciate your help guys

I was getting ready to order the pioneer avh 4400 BT.
Then I saw that the Pioneer 940 nav unit is much cheaper then getting the 4400

then adding the NAV package. Problem is the 940 only has 2 volt pre outs compared to the

4400, 4 volt outputs. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your system not capable of getting near as loud as it would with the 4 volt outs? I am almost certain but wanted to hear your expertise

Is there any mod or upgrade available to fix this?

Appreciate your help guys
use every opportunity you can afford to lower the amplifier gain(s). Their purpose is to accommodate the various input levels. One of the best ways is to buy the features you need in a HU and purchase a decent, transparent adjustable line driver such as in a 1/2 din EQ/line driver to boost the signal level up to the desired input level at the amp(s) (like 6-9volts) The goal is to drive the amp with enough clean input voltage that minimal gaining is necessary for it to produce clean rated output, thus allowing more headroom and keeping unwanted noise out of the system.

example:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3198-mpq-5xo-soundstream-parametric-eq-w-crossover-and-sub-volume.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of SQ systems running with 2 V preouts. We all prefer 4V for reasons stated above, but it does NOT affect how loud your system can go.

Lowered input gains= less stress on amplifiers. Any additional devices (Line Drivers) cause potential for the signal to get dirtier. I would always opt over a 4v Pre-out HU vs. a 2v Pre-out HU + Line Driver. The only time a HU pre-out voltage would effect potential to get "loud" would be if you had a signal less than .2v (typical highest setting on an amplifier)

Thanks for the wisdom fellas

I know after my last install and having the headlights flicker on every bass hit. Even after upgrading the battery

to the best optima and a 300 amp alternator I will need an additional battery. Will probably go with what the member posted above just seems like there

should be a better way. With a setup that only hurts the quality if thickness in my wallet

That being said I defer to your expertise

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.