1st gen Jimmy - Bagged, Shaved, SB V8 conversion. 400 sq ft of SSA deadener.

Ya it looks cool but I'm having some charging problems right now that are driving me crazy. The battery didn't seem to want to hold a charge.

I took my Red Top to get it tested and they said it's good. For some reason it'd be drained by the time I drove somewhere and it sat for the day (car shows, etc). I threw my Red Top from my other truck in and it had the same problem but took longer to be an issue.

At the last show it wouldn't even turn over. We got into it right there at the show and realized there was a big bundle of wires to the starter that had melted from the heat from the headers. I got it home and rewired the entire starter away from the headers then wrapped the wire in heat wrap. I also double checked all the grounds at the frame, engine, and body. Now it starts whenever there's a charge but the battery still seemed to drain.

I started thinking about it and thought "Hm, I haven't even thought about the alt". So I pulled it and had it tested. DOA. I also found out the POS alternator was only a 65 amp. After making the guy at the auto store pull a few different alternators I found a 124 amp alternator for a 2000 full size Chevy that works and bolts right up.

I started a trickle charge on the battery last night. Tonight I'm going to wire up the voltage meter for the truck so I can see what it's at after the charge, after it's run a while, and after it's sat for 24 hours. That should give me a better idea whether it's a bad battery or something inside the truck draining it.

Ah the joys of a fully custom truck...

Battery problem wasn't the problem at all. It was the alt. It's been replaced by a 140 amp single wire. So nice having that taken care of.

I just got back from Import and Truck Bash in Indianapolis, IN. It was a great show. Drove all the way down there (300 miles in each direction) with no radio. Didn't have anything to listen to but the growl of the SB V8 getting 12mpg.

Now that I'm back I've torn the interior apart all over again. I have some more wiring to do for the door poppers, Autometer gauges, and a few other things. Once that's all done I'll install the rest of the Second Skin Audio sound deadener and heat barrier then throw it all back together. For right now I just plan on running a Sony HU I've had sitting around for a couple years.

This fall I'll get into installing the custom dash, center console, and kick panels. Once that's done I'll install the Kenwood double din HU along with 4 Kenwood 6.5" monitors, a camera, tv and Sirius tuner.

IMGP9249.JPG

Thanks guys. I've been working hard on it. Just finished wiring up all the door poppers. I can now open all the doors and the rear glass by remote. I'm going to try to throw it together a bit for a show at U of M on Sunday then I'll throw it back in the garage and start reworking the air managment. I might even build a sub box for the Rainbow equipment that'll be in it eventually.

I don't think I ever posted this on here:

DSC05234ot.jpg

The gauges didn't go to bad for me. Everything works except the oil pressure and the fuel level. I'm pretty sure the fuel gauge problem is just a bad ground. Not sure on the oil pressure gauge. I'll be taking some pics this weekend of the gauges, lights, etc. It's SO nice to finally have some of this stuff working.

Well this thing's been dead for a looooong time. Over the past year or two, I've been working tons of hours and traveling for work A LOT. I'm finally back and ready to get the truck ready for some shows. It's currently at my friends shop. We're prepping it for paint, modifying the floorpan for custom seats, and I'm starting work on a custom fiberglass dash tomorrow.

On the truck it goes.

IMG00357-20100411-1450.jpg

Here it sits in it's new home.

IMG00004-20100417-1928sm.jpg

Wer're tubbing the firewall for 20's.

IMG00010-20100418-2011sm.jpg

That's it for now. I'll try to get some more pics up soon. Especially once the interior work starts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.