150wpc on pioneer 720prs?

boardroomjimmy
10+ year member

My pioneers don't seem to enjoy the boost in power they recieved for x-mas. They went from sharing a jl 300/4 to a jl 300/2 (75wpc to 150wpc). They seem to be struggling in the vocal range, they sound overdriven. The bottom end seems to be holding up ok but the midrange, 250 to 500hz is breaking up. I'd say they start loosing it around 75% volume, right about where my old alpine spx-177's opened up. I'm beginning to think they're serious about the 50wpc continuous rating. Anyone else expirenced this? I think I'll swap in my 4y.o. 177's in to confirm that it's the pioneers and not some other anomoly. Maybe I'll be buying those spx pro's sooner rather than later. They are being ran passive, cut at 80hz@24db

I'm running my 720's with a sundown 100.2, so about 50-60 per channel. The mids are strong but the highs are a little harsh for my likeing. Just keep your gains a little lower and you'll be fine.

Well, maybe I'm expecting too much output from them. My old alpines would light up and really scream when pushed hard, these, not so much. They do sound good at around 50-75 wpc. I think I need something that likes more power.

Yeah that may be. There are plenty of threads about component sets on here that should give you some good ideas.

I had the 720s and they sound good at moderate volume but just cant handle power to get loud. Excellence bass responce in the lower volume spectrum, but they just kill themselves when you try to crank it. I swapped them with the Typex REFs and the Alpines sound alot smoother and can get loud. They are power hungry though.

It's been established that RMS ratings are pretty much meaningless for normal listening. However, I probably would reserve overpowering by 100 or 200% for speakers with a continuous rating of over 100 watts. They may very well be bottoming out, as if you've set the gain to give them all 150 of those watts they're probably spending a considerable amount of time at normal high volume use at or above their RMS rating. If you have room to back off on the gain though it might be better. If you can feed them less midbass and go to 100 or 120 on the high pass that may get you a bit more volume too.

I'd rather replace my comps than back off the gains. I've got no complaints at "normal" listening levels, they just don't clean up and scream at higher power levels. I'll put 'em in the wife's car, maybe she'll appriciate them.

I had the 720s and they sound good at moderate volume but just cant handle power to get loud. Excellence bass responce in the lower volume spectrum, but they just kill themselves when you try to crank it. I swapped them with the Typex REFs and the Alpines sound alot smoother and can get loud. They are power hungry though.
Based on your response I went ahead and ordered a set of alpine spx 17's. I'll write up my findings when I get them Installed. Thanks for the excuse to move on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.