12s or 8s

There's no question. Use the biggest subs you can fit in the amount of space you're willing to give up.

Unless you have a great deal on them or something, there's better options than kicker for the same amount of money. I'm not saying they are bad, just that they're overpriced.

If you're interested in getting the maximum boom, go with a good ported box. I've almost never heard a bad sub, but I've heard a plethora of poor enclosures.

Bigger subs will always play lower naturally. Personally I see 8's as a compromise when you don't want to sacrifice usable real-estate or for a front sub where it's high-passed higher anyways.

There's no question. Use the biggest subs you can fit in the amount of space you're willing to give up.

Unless you have a great deal on them or something, there's better options than kicker for the same amount of money. I'm not saying they are bad, just that they're overpriced.

If you're interested in getting the maximum boom, go with a good ported box. I've almost never heard a bad sub, but I've heard a plethora of poor enclosures.
So do you think the DD subs are a better brand than kicker Q series I have access to them both for a food price.

Id run American Bass XFL before Id run any more Kicker subs. Kicker still make a decent product in some areas of car audio, but better can be had for the $ in the Subwoofer sector all day long

So do you think the DD subs are a better brand than kicker Q series I have access to them both for a food price.
Yes.

The last sub I used previously was a Kicker square 12". I've tried a lot of subs over the years in my usual vehicles, and this sub was nothing special by any means. Definitely not worth paying full price for, that's for sure. I got it in a trade, and I modified the port on the box to lower the tuning frequency to about 32 Hz. After I did that, the sub sounded pretty good and I enjoyed it for about a month before selling it. The square cone did look kinda cool, but there's nothing special about it.

One good thing about Kicker or any other really recognized brand name is that is easy to resell. I've found that when I have boutique items that they are much more difficult to sell locally bc the average person hasn't heard of it.

One last thing, regardless of what subs you get, make sure you build a proper box. A cheap woofer can sound good in a good enclosure, but a great sub can sound bad in a poor enclosure.

Yes.

The last sub I used previously was a Kicker square 12". I've tried a lot of subs over the years in my usual vehicles, and this sub was nothing special by any means. Definitely not worth paying full price for, that's for sure. I got it in a trade, and I modified the port on the box to lower the tuning frequency to about 32 Hz. After I did that, the sub sounded pretty good and I enjoyed it for about a month before selling it. The square cone did look kinda cool, but there's nothing special about it.

One good thing about Kicker or any other really recognized brand name is that is easy to resell. I've found that when I have boutique items that they are much more difficult to sell locally bc the average person hasn't heard of it.

One last thing, regardless of what subs you get, make sure you build a proper box. A cheap woofer can sound good in a good enclosure, but a great sub can sound bad in a poor enclosure.
I acquired an L7 a while back in a trade. It came in the kicker prefab ported box and was pretty terrible, so I ran the numbers and whipped up a 4th order for it and put it on my 2K amp. It actually does sound pretty damn decent.

I acquired an L7 a while back in a trade. It came in the kicker prefab ported box and was pretty terrible, so I ran the numbers and whipped up a 4th order for it and put it on my 2K amp. It actually does sound pretty damn decent.
That's exactly how I acquired mine and it was also in a kicker prefab box, or at least the box said kicker on it. I'm not 100% sure, honestly. But either way the tuning of the box was like 38-40 Hz for some crazy reason. I had some leftover MDF, so I made the port an L and extended it 11". It was a dual 4 ohm and wired to 8 ohm, so I wired it to 2 ohm and gave it 650 watts and it sounded WAY better. I should also add that the box was starting to come apart, so I put a bunch of 2" screws in it and resealed it with Tite Bond 2. The carpet was kinda wore out in the box and it was old, so I sold it for $120.

EDIT: even tho I mess with car audio all the time, I've never built a bandpass box of any kind. If someone is dead set on that (very rare), I send them up the street to a shop. I also don't personally enjoy box building. I'd say 70% of the time I use slot ported and 30% sealed.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...