Is it Ok to run under RMS rating?

cmartinez73

CarAudio.com Recruit
Im very new to caraudio and trying to learn so bare with. Im going with 2 AB HD 12s that have a combined rms rating of 4000, would they sound/is it possible to run them at 1750 each for a combined rms of 3500? i know its best to run subs at their rms rating but would it be severely not reccomened to do drop 250w each or would it sound alright just not be at their fullest potential? Im hoping to not have to need 2 extra batteries (which prolly wont fit), and just do 1 and a HO alt.
If its not the worst thing to run subs slightly under the rms rating, how much under can i go?
Im also aware that this may be a very dumb question because isnt turning the gain down, like when you dont want to bump, the same as running under the RMS rating?
because from my undersanding the rms is basically the average watts that getts putout becasue it hits the peak W for a very breif second.

Im very new to caraudio and trying to learn so bare with. Im going with 2 AB HD 12s that have a combined rms rating of 4000, would they sound/is it possible to run them at 1750 each for a combined rms of 3500? i know its best to run subs at their rms rating but would it be severely not reccomened to do drop 250w each or would it sound alright just not be at their fullest potential? Im hoping to not have to need 2 extra batteries (which prolly wont fit), and just do 1 and a HO alt.
If its not the worst thing to run subs slightly under the rms rating, how much under can i go?
Im also aware that this may be a very dumb question because isnt turning the gain down, like when you dont want to bump, the same as running under the RMS rating?
because from my undersanding the rms is basically the average watts that getts putout becasue it hits the peak W for a very breif second.
I seriously doubt you'd hear any difference between 3500 and 4000 watts...but no running less than rms power won't hurt your subs...

Last edited:
I seriously doubt you'd hear any difference between 3500 and 4000 watts...but no running less than rms power won't hurt your subs...
Gotcha Gotcha thanks!, so would it be possible to throw a low amount of power at it on stock electricals maybe, 15-2000, and as i get better electricals raise it from there?

It really depends...stock electrical varies so much in all the different vehicles and then the different types of amps and also the size of the battery under your hood...if you're gonna run taramps you need to be able to keep voltage up but a good korean board (more expensive) will handle lower voltage better...

It really depends...stock electrical varies so much in all the different vehicles and then the different types of amps and also the size of the battery under your hood...if you're gonna run taramps you need to be able to keep voltage up but a good korean board (more expensive) will handle lower voltage better...
Ya thats true i will probably just go ahead and throw the HO alt and 2nd battery and try to run that around 3500w or 3000 if it can only take that

sounds like a good idea, thanks for help
Sure man. Its worth the extra time and money spent. Use Copper lugs/ring terminals,or dont worry too much about it if they come with the Big3 kit. I would also recommend sanding the coating off on the lugs/terminals for a better connection on both sides. can be done with sand paper or a file easily enough. Most terminals have a protective coating to keep from corrosion for long time storage.

Sure man. Its worth the extra time and money spent. Use Copper lugs/ring terminals,or dont worry too much about it if they come with the Big3 kit. I would also recommend sanding the coating off on the lugs/terminals for a better connection on both sides. can be done with sand paper or a file easily enough. Most terminals have a protective coating to keep from corrosion for long time storage.
bet thanks for the info and tips! ill def also look into sanding those down for better connection

That rumor exists because people thought they could crank up the volume if their amp power was rated lower than their speaker power.

Anyone with a brain knows your speakers rarely see max power.

just to add to what metalheadjoe said, the claim that running subs below their rated power will damage them isnt actually about the wattage being too low. Beginners will often crank the gain on their amp to try and get more power from it, thinking that they can turn the gain all the way up because the amp is rated lower than the subs can handle. Problem with that is that isnt how the gain knob works. Gain set too high will cause the amp to clip, sending a distorted signal to the subs. The clipping is what will kill the subs, not the power level.
So yes, you can run them underpowered just fine. Just make sure you set your gain properly.

Running wattage below RMS won't hurt anything. What the speakers get is the same thing as running an amp with higher wattage and then turning the volume down.
The only time you are going to be at RMS is if you set it at RMS, then have the volume knob at that setting. Below that you are running less AC voltage

Your head unit is sending out the signal as AC voltage. Your amplifier, is amplifying the signal, and sending out the signal with more AC voltage. The only time you are running RMS is if you set your amp for RMS with your head unit at max, and then you run max volume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...