12" woofer that does work on lows?

I believe I have narrowed my choice down to either 1-2 RE MT 12's, or 1-2 Mach5 IXL 12's. I don't know much about the RE MT's but a single IXL 12 recommends 1.4 Cu. Ft ported and can handle a lot of power. With two, they should fit perfectly in the space I have. If I do decide to run two Mach5 IXL's, dual 1ohm, ported box tuned around 28hz, what kind of amp and port type should I look into?

The MT and IXL are quite different subs. MT's are known for their loudness and being able to handle a ton of power. They'd more than likely need a good deal more power than the IXL's if you're stuck on using a smaller size box. You will definitely need electrical upgrades if you plan on properly powering a pair of MT's in a 3ft^3 box(which I wouldn't even recommend for them).

The IXL's are more geared towards sound quality than just being able to get loud. Put a pair in 3ft^3 tuned to 28hz and you'll have some good sound. Go with a lager box and you'll get even better low-end out of your subs. Just keep in mind that doing a 3ft^3 box for a pair of 12's tuned to 28hz, with adequate port area, will require a very long port. It'll probably take up 1.5-2ft^3 by itself.

Since you said yourself that you're not that hung up on SQ, go ahead and get a pairs of SA-12's. They're loud as balls and will work well in a 3-3.5ft^3 box for a pair.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.