Car: 2009 ford fusion se

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12”

Budget: $300

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Memphis 16PRX1.1000

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 1.8cubft ported box

Goals: clean, articulated, tight bass.

Listening habits: jazz, edm, rock … all music except modern country

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: whatever is available and sounds excellent.

: currently I do have a 12” ported box with a Memphis 12” power reference sub. My nieces like it very much but not I as I am not a basshead. I want my bass clean, articulate and tight, not the booming drone that shakes my trunk and license plate. My door speakers are 5x7 memphis m-class coaxials driven by a Memphis 16mcx475, since this going to be my daughter’s car eventually, I'm content with those components. The subwoofer system is said Memphis PRX1.1000 amp driving a single 4ohm 12” Memphis power reference sub rated at 250rms. The amp pushes 450rms so I suspect I'm killing my subwoofer, or should I restate and say the kid will destroy that sub with her hip hop. So, I’ve suspected I need to replace it sooner than later. One option is to step up the Memphis line to the m-class sub or even one of the mojos. I’ve also considered the JL 12w3v3-4, SA12D4 by sundown, and perhaps a Rockford or some other brand. My amp is 450rms at 4ohms, 750rms into 2ohms or 1000rms into 1ohm. Budget is around 300, or higher if it’s worth it. I need only one 12” for a ported enclosure. Gents, please advise if you get a moment. Many thanks.

Look for a used w6. Look up dayton ho 12 and tc sounds epic 12s. Both are sq oriented woofers. Enclosure will determine how good the sound will be, you cant just buy some ebay/amazon or any other car audio retailer's prefab cookie cutter ported boxes, you will get garbage sound from them.

Memphis recommends their 12" Mojo be ran in a sealed box for optimum performance. My friends that run Mojos typically see the results you're looking for.

Memphis recommended internal airspace for a 12" Mojo is .91 Cu. Ft.

Not a professional by any means but that's my two cents on the matter.

good suggestions gents, thanks much. i do suspect i have one of those cheapo enclosures that might be less than optimal. after further research i think i'll go with a sealed box. specifically designed for whatever sub i decide upon. time to look up a good design shop. that TC Sounds units look lethal, i like it. time to do more research, thanks gents.

good suggestions gents, thanks much. i do suspect i have one of those cheapo enclosures that might be less than optimal. after further research i think i'll go with a sealed box. specifically designed for whatever sub i decide upon. time to look up a good design shop. that TC Sounds units look lethal, i like it. time to do more research, thanks gents.
Those TC drivers are designed to play lows with confidence. Please do a review if you do get one. Don't forget the TC recommended sealed box specs:

Axis - 0.26 ft.³

LMS-R - 0.54 ft.³

These are net volumes, so they'll need to incorporate driver displacement into the box design.

[quote name='roscoofyore']good suggestions gents, thanks much. i do suspect i have one of those cheapo enclosures that might be less than optimal. after further research i think i'll go with a sealed box. specifically designed for whatever sub i decide upon. time to look up a good design shop. that TC Sounds units look lethal, i like it. time to do more research, thanks gents.[/QUOTE]

many good builders on this site that can custom build you a box and ship for much lower than anything local @CSCStang ; could definitely help you with a box with any sub you decide :)

Built in the US, All US moving parts, Built to order how you want, Fast build time ( about a week ), Designed for sealed.

TS2500 | DD Audio

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.