12 inch sub for sealed box?

Ported boxes will always be bigger than a sealed box but go to the DC site and check out the recommended box sizes for all of their woofer lines or just specifically the level 1 and 2, they are tiny compared to what most other manufacturers recommend. Both the level 1 and 2 have a ported recommendation of 1.25cuft, which is give or take about 1/2 the size of your current box. But its all about what you're after, if space is the highest priority you can go sealed no problem but ported would probably give you better results if you can sacrifice a couple more inches in any direction when designing the box.

Ported boxes will always be bigger than a sealed box but go to the DC site and check out the recommended box sizes for all of their woofer lines or just specifically the level 1 and 2, they are tiny compared to what most other manufacturers recommend. Both the level 1 and 2 have a ported recommendation of 1.25cuft, which is give or take about 1/2 the size of your current box. But its all about what you're after, if space is the highest priority you can go sealed no problem but ported would probably give you better results if you can sacrifice a couple more inches in any direction when designing the box.
Yeah, the sealed idea has been stabbing me. I don't want to lose too much in terms of SPL, but I also know a good 12 in a sealed might sound better than what I have, and be almost as loud. When I asked for a good 12 in a ported box, people pointed at the soundqubed hds212. It seems nice, but that box is nearly the size of my current one.

Edit: The soundqubed recommended ported box on their site isn't big either. Well, bigger than DC.

You should try listening to a real sub then you would toss that thing in the garbage. Slim subs are only used as a last resort when clarance is a major problem. Stop giving really bad advice at something you know nothing about.
For your money, what slim line 12 would you be ok buying? Roughly .7-.8 cf. Amp is yet to be purchased so I'm open there. I'm looking for quality instead ear busting

For your money, what slim line 12 would you be ok buying? Roughly .7-.8 cf. Amp is yet to be purchased so I'm open there. I'm looking for quality instead ear busting
Both my Alpine SWR-t12 sub (which I blew) and my new JL Audio 12" slim line are pretty sweet sounding. I'd go with the JL Audio with what I've learned, namely that they are made in the USA! Cheaper than the Alpine too!

John Kuthe...

You're probably asking the wrong person. I tend to build a car around a speaker to get the proper speaker placement or enclosure. The first enclosure I had in my current car was two 10's in the spare tire well. It was cut out and dropped 4" to fit the speakers flush in the rear. Some people don't want to cut their vehicles up though. I probably wouldn't build a box if their wasn't enough space. Someone on here mentioned using an 8" instead of a shallow mount. That's probably the way I would go. Their are done very high excursion 8's.

I've got my 12" Image Dynamics IDQv3d4 for sale if you're interested. Preforms well in 1cuft sealed and 500rms is a good amount of power for it. PM if interested.

digital designs HiDef tuned 3000 series 12. They are built specially for sealed enclosures. We have had amazing results with them.
I am trying to find a place to buy one of those, and I can't. I don't even see a price :/

Edit: I have found the price. That is a bit too high for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.