1 sub vs 2

I have 2 15" Kicker L7's and a box that will no longer fit in my trunk, the side dimensions are 18" square sealed and I cannot squeeze it into my G35x's trunk, I have been toying with the Idea of going to a single sub setup, but I need a box, I came across this box that will fit both subs and fit into the trunk,(dimensions are 38.25" x 17.25" x 13.5" sealed) my question is will I get worse sound by squeezing 2 subs into this smaller box, and would it be worth scrapping 1 sub in favor of more breathing room for 1?

Cone area trumps all, i have 5 18's in a 5cu ft box with 10 sq inch of port per foot
i hope theres a typo somewhere in there...

but yes op put a single one of those subs in the proper box and be amazed at the difference and sell the other for a profit

i hope theres a typo somewhere in there...
but yes op put a single one of those subs in the proper box and be amazed at the difference and sell the other for a profit
I would sell the other but I fear it has no resale value, I have been out of system building for a few years since my last car went kaput, but I have a giant pile of stuff that I have collected and just want to make use of. I guess it would be OK to have a spare as I would be giving the sub more juice than it is rated for by itself. Will this sub sound better in a larger sealed box? I have only had them in one and they sounded good, so I am afraid to ruin the sound.

Thats kinda where I was going, will I destroy my SQ in a smaller box tho..?
you do know he's fking around with you right? you wont get any real output from a sealed box with those L7s man. two crammed in a sealed box wont hit hard at all. Get a proper custom ported box and you'll be loud as balls and sound a hell of a lot better then the crammed sh*t you are running now. Subs need to breath, if you dont have enough airspace for a sub to perform you arent getting more then 30% of the output potential of the sub.

Kicker L7s in sealed boxes = quiet system, they dont work well at all in sealed boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
SQ and L7's aren't synonymous with eachother very often. Now L7's and flabby @ss cheeks giving way to gas are often synonymous. I agree with above, if you are set on using the kickers best to make a nice ported box for it so chances are you should go one sub and sell the other.

you do know he's fking around with you right? you wont get any real output from a sealed box with those L7s man. two crammed in a sealed box wont hit hard at all. Get a proper custom ported box and you'll be loud as balls and sound a hell of a lot better then the crammed sh*t you are running now. Subs need to breath, if you dont have enough airspace for a sub to perform you arent getting more then 30% of the output potential of the sub.
Kicker L7s in sealed boxes = quiet system, they dont work well at all in sealed boxes.
I have actually taken 2nd place with 2 in a sealed box in a SQ competition, and also hit 143.7 DB, I just prefer the flatter sound the sealed box gives instead of a huge jump in the bass around the port frequency followed by a dissapointing hole in the bass anywhere else. I know that ports are more efficient, but I just hate with the sound (and dont even get me started on Bandpass UGH...) I guess it will probably have to be a single sub, thanks for the input.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.