1 Ohm or 4 Ohm...

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey all, question about how I should wire my sub/amp, and if my logic is correct here.

Amp: Hifonics HFi1500D (HFi 1500D) Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

Sub: Amazon.com : E-12D2 V2 - Sundown Audio 12" 500W RMS Dual 2-Ohm E Series Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics

That is what I currently have, now the RMS handling on the subwoofer is 500 RMS and the amplifier RMS for 4 Ohm is 500 RMS.

I have talked to people and everyone says the Sundown can take more than 500 and also the Hifonics will not put out true 500 RMS.

SO, can I wire the sub/amp to 1 ohm safely?

If my logic is correct, if i wanted to run the amplifier at 1 ohm and only push 650 RMS so I can be safe without clipping and blowing the sub can I just do Ohms law?

650x1=650 SQRT of 650 = 25.49. So set my gain at 25.49VAC?

And also if this is correct, would it have less strain than running 500 RMS at 4 Ohms?

500x4=2000 SQRT = 44.72?

Or is my logic flawed here, thanks!

The higher the ohm load, the less across the whole system. That being said, yes, you could safely run that amp at 1ohm to that sub. Just be sure to set the amp's gain PROPERLY. Meaning; Do not try to make the amp do more than is designed for. I would personaly run it at the 1ohm option, giving you 'headroom' and, as stated before, properly set the gain. Some will rag on the fact that you have a quality sub and a low quality amp. But if it works for YOU, then so be it. Do yourself a favor and get a custom built box for that sub, and your ears will thank you. Good luck, dude, let us know how it works out for you. Also, if the amp hasn't been purchased yet, check the classifieds on here, and you may be able to find a higher quality amp.

The higher the ohm load, the less across the whole system. That being said, yes, you could safely run that amp at 1ohm to that sub. Just be sure to set the amp's gain PROPERLY. Meaning; Do not try to make the amp do more than is designed for. I would personaly run it at the 1ohm option, giving you 'headroom' and, as stated before, properly set the gain. Some will rag on the fact that you have a quality sub and a low quality amp. But if it works for YOU, then so be it. Do yourself a favor and get a custom built box for that sub, and your ears will thank you. Good luck, dude, let us know how it works out for you. Also, if the amp hasn't been purchased yet, check the classifieds on here, and you may be able to find a higher quality amp.
Unfortunately I already have purchased the HiFonics amp and cannot cancel it. so if set the gain correctly, it wont "burst" to 1500? Just wanna be safe here!

You should be fine if you, and I hate to beat a dead horse.....but, set your gains properly. Sundowns are rather underated, set your gain to produce between 600-700wrms, and they should do what you want them to. Have you done any upgrades to your electrical system? You should be fine if you haven't, but I would suggest that you at least upgrade your 'Big 3', we usually use 1/0g cable for this.

You should be fine if you, and I hate to beat a dead horse.....but, set your gains properly. Sundowns are rather underated, set your gain to produce between 600-700wrms, and they should do what you want them to. Have you done any upgrades to your electrical system? You should be fine if you haven't, but I would suggest that you at least upgrade your 'Big 3', we usually use 1/0g cable for this.

Point taken, I just wasnt sure if I can wire it to 1 ohm and only use 600-700 of the rms rather than all 1500. Cool thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.