1.83 ft^ enclosure. Want to try an SA-12 or X12, which would be better for me?

95TsiAWD
10+ year member

I have a ported enclosure that's 1.83 cu ft gross.

It's currently tuned to 32hz after netting it out for my TC 12Q1 subwoofer. However I am not happy with the lack of output. This is because this sub is advertised as quad 1.2 ohm but it actually a quad 2 ohm driver.

My amp puts out 1000 watts RMS at 1-ohm.

I see that an SA-12 D2 will work in my enclosure, but will an X12 D2 be better suited for my amp?

I can change the port out, but just have 1.83 cu ft gross to work with and 1000 watts RMS.

Thanks for any input.

If you have 1.8 gross and will not or cannot change your box then dont bother with a 12 unless its a sub for small enclosures. The sa and x wont work youll probably hate them because of the little box.

keep the sub, redo the box, you are suffocating the 12 if its 1.83 gross, after port and sub displacement you'll probably be at 1.1-1.3 cubic feet.
After sub and post displacement it is 1.69 net as was recommended to me on here for the 12q1 driver.

After sub and post displacement it is 1.69 net as was recommended to me on here for the 12q1 driver.
Im guessing your running an aero port? What are the dimensions on it because an SA 12 alone will leave you at 1.69^ before port

If its an aeroport then the SA would be fine, just give it a lot of head room on the power. However if thats a slot port, your calculations are way off.
It's a 3" Precision Aeroport. 1000 RMS should work good then with the SA-12 in this situation? Since it's only rated for 600 RMS handling.

I don't want to build a new box if possible, it really fits well in my trunk and allows me to still carry 20 gallons of extra fuel to race events.

It's a 3" Precision Aeroport. 1000 RMS should work good then with the SA-12 in this situation? Since it's only rated for 600 RMS handling.
I don't want to build a new box if possible, it really fits well in my trunk and allows me to still carry 20 gallons of extra fuel to race events.
You normally dont even see close to half of what your amp puts out after impedance rise, voltage drops anyways so 1000-1200 watts is proper to be honest if you want to get the full potential out of the sundown.

ALSO, you see where your output problem is? you are getting around 4 port area per cubic foot with a single 3 inch aero. Recommended is 9 to 13, could be the reason why you are losing so much output with only half the amount of minimal port area required. Doesnt matter what sub you put in there, It will suffocate at the port and not give you full output potential.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.