07 Toyota 4Runner amp replacement

You had a bad amp so you replaced the HU? You should have replaced the amp with a small aftermarket amp. Replacing the HU is kinda like doing a brake job because you have a flat tire.

My original plan was to buy an aftermarket amp. That seemed like the most logical step. Or buy a used stock amp. I looked around but couldn’t figure what exactly I needed for this specific setup. Remember, I don’t know squat about amps and wiring. If it’s not the original stock amp, that would mean I’d have to do some tinkering/tweaking to get it connected. Also, this amp is REALLY hard to get to. It’s entrenched near the back right quarter panel. You have to take a lot of crap apart to get to it.

When a poster here said just buy a new HU with a built in amp, I stupidly thought it would bypass all old connections. I don’t know what I was thinking, honestly. The guys over on the Toyota forums didn’t even leave a single reply on my thread. That place gets millions of views too!

This place instantly threw out suggestions. I’m not upset abt this, a new HU is not a bad thing. Now she can do much more. Anyway, so while I have you all’s attention, can you guys give me some exact amps that would fit her car? Something with the least degree of difficulty to connect. Lol Don’t get me wrong, I can do some tweaking here and there, but nothing too crazy. I need the closest thing to plug and play as possible.

I have a multi meter so I can watch a YouTube video and figure out if the speakers are ok. At least I think I can. 😄

Though, at this point, I’m starting to think maybe a I’ll just pay someone to do this. I typically try to fix/replace anything that breaks in my house or car, but sometimes I guess I gotta throw in the towel. I’m already $200 in with crutchfield’s assembly kit, HU and pre-wired “ready harness”. After a new amp and labor I probably could have bought two original stock amps, both with warranties. 😩

Thanks to everyone for chiming in, I appreciate it. My wife appreciates it too!

Last edited:
What you can do is just disconnect that amp and leave it in there. Then buy said aftermarket amp mount it someplace else and instead of running all new speaker wires to each door buy a 20 foot section of something called 9 Wire at Amazon. You run it to the speaker wires on the harness not to the radio but the aftermarket harness back to the aftermarket amplifier with the RCA's and that 9 wire on side which has the built in remote turn on wire as well. With power on the other side and a ground near the amplifier like a seat bolt with all the paint cleared off.

Amazon 9 wire link below. For the amplifier you could get a 4 channel taramps for 100 bucks or a Pioneer GM-D8604 for around 200 bucks. For the speakers get them at sonic electronix or crutchfield and they will include the speaker harness and you plug them right into the stock harness. Because with the 9 wire going from those speaker wires in the harness behind the deck to the amplifier the speakers are then getting the watts through the stock speaker wiring which most cars can handle around 80-100 watts with no issue per channel. I did it this way in my '03 Explorer to save the time running wires and I run that Pioneer with 150 watts setup in 2 ohm right now with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1KAMQ/?tag=caraudiocom-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A02PG0C/?tag=caraudiocom-20

or if you want cheaper amplifier then Taramps. Can also get this sort of stuff at either of those two places above as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YVMJFB9/?tag=caraudiocom-20

lots of options to choose if you want to go down this route with new speakers in it which would be a big improvement over stock even just basic coaxial speakers. Components up front would be best but would just depend on what you want to spend. As you will need power wire, ground wire and 4 channel rca's as well so this stuff can add up quickly. But between all of us sure we could find something within your budget.

@Coolhand20th Thank you very much for the advice. Going to to take some time to unpack and digest all that you said. I will try my best and report back. 🙋‍♂️

Reading the specs on the HU you have chosen.. It looks like you can add whatever stereo or even a mono amplifier of your choosing.A nice 50x4 @4 ohms Stereo amplifier sounds like all you need without breaking the bank and utilizing the existing speakers. A small amount of speaker wire and a small amp kit with two sets of RCAs for the HU and you should be set. Disconnect the Existing amplifier, either leave it in place or remove it. Mark your speaker wires for Front R/L and Rear R/L for new amp. It doesnt have to be expensive to get some sound in back in there. This would be great if and when you decide to replace the stock speakers at a later time also with some power on tap.

Your HU Specifications

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KPKKx...p_Kch3WhyAVfqPCuxQAs8gPciCYSD2i4aAuCXEALw_wcB

My original plan was to buy an aftermarket amp. That seemed like the most logical step. Or buy a used stock amp. I looked around but couldn’t figure what exactly I needed for this specific setup. Remember, I don’t know squat about amps and wiring. If it’s not the original stock amp, that would mean I’d have to do some tinkering/tweaking to get it connected. Also, this amp is REALLY hard to get to. It’s entrenched near the back right quarter panel. You have to take a lot of crap apart to get to it.

When a poster here said just buy a new HU with a built in amp, I stupidly thought it would bypass all old connections. I don’t know what I was thinking, honestly. The guys over on the Toyota forums didn’t even leave a single reply on my thread. That place gets millions of views too!

This place instantly threw out suggestions. I’m not upset abt this, a new HU is not a bad thing. Now she can do much more. Anyway, so while I have you all’s attention, can you guys give me some exact amps that would fit her car? Something with the least degree of difficulty to connect. Lol Don’t get me wrong, I can do some tweaking here and there, but nothing too crazy. I need the closest thing to plug and play as possible.

I have a multi meter so I can watch a YouTube video and figure out if the speakers are ok. At least I think I can. 😄

Though, at this point, I’m starting to think maybe a I’ll just pay someone to do this. I typically try to fix/replace anything that breaks in my house or car, but sometimes I guess I gotta throw in the towel. I’m already $200 in with crutchfield’s assembly kit, HU and pre-wired “ready harness”. After a new amp and labor I probably could have bought two original stock amps, both with warranties. 😩

Thanks to everyone for chiming in, I appreciate it. My wife appreciates it too!

If you're trying to save money and headache, why not just wire around the amp with the adapter I linked to?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...