07 Toyota 4Runner amp replacement

Bird

“Do not go gentle into that good night”
Florida
My wife’s car lost all sound from each speaker. I have done a checklist of possible causes, and everything leads back to the stock amp. This problem started abt a year ago, and it still hasn’t been fixed. We’re both very busy people so these things get delayed. I posted this same request on a Toyota forum, but not a single person responded to me. Which is crazy when you consider that site gets literally millions of views. I guess my issue is not easy. Or nobody cares.

When all of this first started, I searched for stock amps to replace it with, but found it’s just too much of a crapshoot on places like eBay. Really, anywhere.12+ year old amp might blow the very next day it gets installed. The only reasonable stock amp I found was ~ $150 or so. They offer a $50 year guarantee which seems like a fair deal, but what the hell do I know? I don’t know anything about this stuff. How long do these amps generally last? And what typically is the culprit for them to fail? My wife’s car has no system at all. Everything is factory. I guess it’s just old age. 15 years is a long time.

My question is: if not a used stock amp off eBay, can I get a very similar aftermarket amp? Don’t need anything fancy, just want to restore her ability to play music in her vehicle. If you can be as specific as possible in your recommendations, please do so. I really am a novice at this. I can probably figure out how to install it myself, if you guys can point me in the right direction.

-07 Toyota 4 runner
- no built in navigation
- no JBL
- built in CD player

Thank you for any advice given

I think I would take the gamble with buying a used factory amp. From everything I have seen, its gonna be more expensive to incorporate an aftermarket amp.

So the $150 + $50 warranty is the way to go? What typically causes these things to go bad? Age? Only reason I want aftermarket is for longevity. Don’t care about performance. It’s all standard stock/factory parts. Thanks for the reply!

Actually, it might be the head unit, I think it’s usually always easier to replace with a complete sound system, radio and Everything, nowadays it’s not as expensive as it used to be and since it’s an older vehicle it could stand an upgrade in atleast a dozen ways, Bluetooth, backup camera, but in your case just music period… rght now she has nothin… but with a complete system is going to be easier to diagnose any problems going forward, because Everything is seperate, and typically you’ll become more knowledgeable about the whole nine especially if you do it yourself, they have companies like crutchfield.com which basically walks you through the whole process and you can have it partially wired up so that everything is plug and play, which to me, in my personal opinion is a major time saver. +plus your earn points with the wifey, she gets music. By the way, I’m not advertising for crutchfield, I just always use them and they haven’t let me done yet…

So the $150 + $50 warranty is the way to go? What typically causes these things to go bad? Age? Only reason I want aftermarket is for longevity. Don’t care about performance. It’s all standard stock/factory parts. Thanks for the reply!

That's the route I would go. If you wanted to to put $800 to $1000 into it, you could redo the entire system. But I was looking at cheapest route.

Another recommendation for Crutchfield. I would recommend a head unit with a built-in amplifier and their pre-wired option, where you simply plug and play for your specified vehicle. You should be able to get a nice unit with lots of features, with your budget. Good luck.

wow all these great replies! Thank you! Yeah, I like crutchfeild as well. I used them for my personal car when the speakers went bad. They are great. Seriously thank you all for the answers. I feel good moving forward. Wish I would have found this place first.

-07 Toyota 4 runner
- no built in navigation
- no JBL
- built in CD player

So the 4th Gen 4Runners had an audio amp without a JBL upgrade? Have a part number? Should be right on it. Now I'm curious.

86280-0W150 is the JBL amp. If you don't have the JBL, wouldn't it just be the head unit that's the amp?
How many speakers does it have?

Ok so I’m back. I ordered a brand new head unit from crutchfield. Pioneer MVH-S322BT. It has a built in amp. I got the pre wired ready harness from crutchfield so nearly impossible to mess the connections up. I got it all hooked up, everything lit up great. But yet again no sound whatsoever. No fm/am, Bluetooth music. We were sure it was an amp problem. What else could it be? It can’t be the speakers right? They didn’t all go bad at once. If the head unit is new, and that includes a built in amp, I have no clue where else to look.

Ok so I’m back. I ordered a brand new head unit from crutchfield. Pioneer MVH-S322BT. It has a built in amp. I got the pre wired ready harness from crutchfield so nearly impossible to mess the connections up. I got it all hooked up, everything lit up great. But yet again no sound whatsoever. No fm/am, Bluetooth music. We were sure it was an amp problem. What else could it be? It can’t be the speakers right? They didn’t all go bad at once. If the head unit is new, and that includes a built in amp, I have no clue where else to look.

You had a bad amp so you replaced the HU? You should have replaced the amp with a small aftermarket amp. Replacing the HU is kinda like doing a brake job because you have a flat tire. That said a modern HU is a worthwhile upgrade and replacing the amp would have required a ton of splicing.

The HU's internal amp is useless because the way you're wired right now sends the signal to a dead amp, so you still have no sound. You have 2 choices. Replace the dead amp. Your other option is wire directly from your new HU to the stock speakers. www.installer.com has a harness to bypass the amp for a lot less than Crotchfield. Looks like you'll have run wire from the HU to the amp, disconnect the amp and then it's plug and play. Metra's instructions say it's good thru 2006, but installer.com says 2007 and Eddie Runner (installer.com's owner) has been around the block a few million times, so I tend to trust him. You might want to double check what they say on the 4-runner forums. There may have been a model change in 2006/07 or a change in the audio systems Toyota was using.

Double check the ohm rating on the OEM speakers. If they're lower than 4 ohms, you'll need to replace them as well or you'll fry the Pioneer HU. If the OEM speakers have foam surrounds they may be due for replacement anyway. If you have separate mids/tweets up front then you're going to need to do some rewiring to properly replace those drivers. Now you can see why a lot of us would have just scraped the old OEM system altogether.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I would first test a speaker. OEM speakers are known to go bad before their amp does. I have seen all speakers fail within a short period of each other. Pull out the passenger door speaker to test with a digital multimeter.

I already explained what's going on. His HU is connected to a "known" dead amp. Of course he has no sound.

I already explained what's going on. His HU is connected to a "known" dead amp. Of course he has no sound.
OP said he did a checklist of possible causes but did not state if the speakers were actually verified with a multimeter. We do not even know if the amp is recieving power or an activating signal. I would try the easiest test and branch from there.

OP said he did a checklist of possible causes but did not state if the speakers were actually verified with a multimeter. We do not even know if the amp is receiving power or an activating signal. I would try the easiest test and branch from there.

Sounds like all speakers shyt the bed simultaneously, which would indicate the source/hu or amp. He probably should check the amp for 12v+ and remote on. Nevertheless, he has to look at those speakers either way so he may as well check them first. If they read anything in the high 2s or higher, they should be fine with the HU.

OP you probably have an AM/FM antenna booster that you need to make sure you get power to in addition to the other shenanigans you've got going on. The 12V+ to the amp is probably the thickest (red) wire going to the amp. You want to make sure that is getting 12V+ when car is on. If it isn't then you probably have a blown fuse going to the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...