'07 Mustang GT build

Participant count
  • Participant list

shmenz

I am going to be upgrading the factory Shaker 500 system in my 2007 Mustang GT coupe within the next year. I am very green when it comes to car audio, so I am looking for some help / advice.

Shaker 500 system:

To the best of my understanding, each front door has a 4" speaker and tweeter in a 6 x 8 opening. Below that is an 8" subwoofer powered by a 250w amp. In the back there are two 1-way 6 x 8s. The system is loud, but that is the only thing that I can say. Clarity ***** at all ranges. I want to change everything.

My thoughts:

I want a system that is extremely clear. I want to hear the base, but the people a block away don't need to hear it. I also want it to sound great when the volume is turned down.

I dont want to cut metal or change the appearance of the interior.

The main problem is that there is not an 8" that will fit in the stock opening using the current grill cover. The only speaker that will work is made by Kicker and sold through Shelby. It will fit, but you have to use their grill which says Shelby, I sont drive a Shelby, so this doesn't work for me.

I am thinking about replacing the 8"s with 6.5"s. Above that in the front door having a tweeter and 4" mounted in the 6x8" opening. In the back replacing the 6x 8s with nicer 6 x 8s. By doing this I don't have to modify any interior parts.

In the trunk having one 10, 2 10s or one 12. I will also install a 5 channel amp in the trunk.

I have to replace the interior carpet due to a rip. I will due this at the same time, so I will already have easy access to run all new wiring.

I want to get a dvd receiver with bluetooth. I don't need navi as it is on my phone.

I have officially exhausted my knowledge on car audio. Any thoughts / advice / input is greatly appreciated. Will this work? Will it sound good? What brands? What sub configuration? How can I run the amp to all fhe speakers when it only has 5 channels? Do I need to change all the wiring, or is factory wires good enough for the front speakers.

let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Shmenz

Personally, I would do a high quality 10 or 12 in a sealed box. I'd skip the 5 channel, and opt for a 4 channel and a single mono amp. 6.5's should be fine. Just look for a nice component set. Head Unit wise, I love my Kenwood, and we have other cars running Kenwood Nav/DVD units that are really nice. Pioneers are good as well. If you're planning on running any amount of decent power through your speakers, you're gonna need to run new speaker wiring.

I would look for used Diamond Audio D5 or D6 amps. They sound very clean, and look nice. They also have beefy heat sinks, which will probably do you good, since they're gonna be in your sealed trunk.

Some brands I would consider would be

Diamond Audio (I'm biased... almost my entire car is Diamond Audio)

Infinity (they make some decent speakers)

JBL

Morel (top notch, but expensive)

I've done a tantric hd 12 ported on a vfl 4480 so far. Going with a double din DVD with navi soon the doors. Cdt 8" woofers in the doors the a 5.25 mid driver and Es 010 tweets on a 3 way system stock rears not sure what amp yet tho. And a singer 200 hair pin alt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.