'06 Explorer new system advice

sbelew
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I recently acquired an '06 Explorer XLT with 3 row seating. It does not have the factory subwoofer in the back. I'm Interested in good quality sound with some volume. I would like to keep everything in the foot area of the 3rd row with removing the 3rd row head rests but not the seats. It doesn't look like there is much space to gain by removing the 3rd row and I prefer to keep the cargo area. Not a lot of room there but looking for ideas, suggestions. I currently have a Massive Audio NX4 5 channel amp, and 2 JBL GTO804's from my previous car. I can use these items or replace if needed. Also need suggestions on a front component set. Doors will take 6x8 speakers but I'm sure 6.5's can be adapted to fit. The head unit I'm considering is the Kenwood DMX809s but again, open to suggestions.

A 2006 Explorer the rear 3rd seats should just fold down. Also 6x8's in all 4 doors as you said however for most 6.5 sets you will need to get an adapter. I had this guy on ebay 3d make me some and they are top notch. He can custom make them even up to a 1" spacer as I had to go that big for the Stevens 6.5" mid-bass that are still not installed.

Do you plan on using your third row seating? If not, ditch it! You can either source the parts from a vehicle without third row seating, or you can build something to replace it. I built a platform to eliminate the 3rd row in my 2010 Explorer.

Do you want to add a subwoofer?

I'm chasing 150 in my 2010 Explorer, so our goals are different. On the other hand, I can answer vehicle-specific questions.

My first reaction is to run the 6x8 speakers using 4 channels of the amp, and use channel 5 for an underseat subwoofer. Or, if your headunit has decent power per channel, you can use your existing wiring harness to drive the speakers. Use the amplifier to power the subwoofer. Just some suggestions.

Do you plan on using your third row seating? If not, ditch it! You can either source the parts from a vehicle without third row seating, or you can build something to replace it. I built a platform to eliminate the 3rd row in my 2010 Explorer.

Do you want to add a subwoofer?

I'm chasing 150 in my 2010 Explorer, so our goals are different. On the other hand, I can answer vehicle-specific questions.
Yes I want a sub and probably just fronts. I will never use the 3rd row and rarely would I be using the second row.
Thanks!

My first reaction is to run the 6x8 speakers using 4 channels of the amp, and use channel 5 for an underseat subwoofer. Or, if your headunit has decent power per channel, you can use your existing wiring harness to drive the speakers. Use the amplifier to power the subwoofer. Just some suggestions.
Underseat subwoofer? Where would it fit?

The 3rd row seating should fold down unless it is only on certain sub-models for those years. At least they do in my parents '06 Explorer. We left them folded down flat and a ton more cargo room. And completely disagree on using 6x8s over a 6.5" component system in those. I've had 6x8s amplified in all 4 doors and now just run the RF Power 6x8 3-ways in the rears off the head unit. The 6.5" Component system run active sounds so much better even with the POS CDT MO-6 2 ohms that are in the door right now with a set of XT-25 Tweeters mounted in there on the same 4 channel amplifier I used on the 6x8s. That guy I linked on ebay does great work. Thxone bought a set from him as well and also said the work was nicely done all 3d printing, he even did a set of tweeter pods I sanded and painted that is going on the outside of the door panel when or if I ever get the time to put the Alpine tweeters and the Stevens MB-6s in.

The 3rd row does fold down. the head rests must be folded down first to clear the back seat which puts the head rests almost all the way to the floor. My thoughts were to remove the head rests to give more clearance in the foot area and make something fit in there, even though its not going to be much. Maybe I could use one of my GTO804's in a small sealed box on one side and somehow mount the amp on the other side. Even if I were to remove the 3rd row seats, I cant see really gaining any usable space. The seats are small and thin. I might gain 3 or 4 inches there after building some kind of replacement cover type thing to retain the full cargo area.
I also considered using one of the 8" component sets in the front doors to add a little more low end, then either the JBL in a small sealed, or perhaps getting one of the Alpine/JBL/Whatever small under seat subs with the amp built in to it. I've never heard one and am skeptical about how they sound and if they are worth it.
I use the cargo area daily so removing the subs really isn't an option. They would spend more time out than in.

I use the cargo area daily so removing the subs really isn't an option
Does your Explorer have this?
Screenshot_20231103-235244(1)~2.png

If yes, then maybe you can McGuyver some enclosure inside there.

I recently acquired an '06 Explorer XLT with 3 row seating. It does not have the factory subwoofer in the back. I'm Interested in good quality sound with some volume. I would like to keep everything in the foot area of the 3rd row with removing the 3rd row head rests but not the seats. It doesn't look like there is much space to gain by removing the 3rd row and I prefer to keep the cargo area. Not a lot of room there but looking for ideas, suggestions. I currently have a Massive Audio NX4 5 channel amp, and 2 JBL GTO804's from my previous car. I can use these items or replace if needed. Also need suggestions on a front component set. Doors will take 6x8 speakers but I'm sure 6.5's can be adapted to fit. The head unit I'm considering is the Kenwood DMX809s but again, open to suggestions.
if anyone is interested, I'll be pulling 2 sets of NVX 6x8s out of my storage unit when I visit it middle of next week, $80 plus shipping from 83686 for both sets, open box stock never installed. Ended up going with the 6x9s instead. These are what I'm talking about, decent enough for the budget-conscious.

Amazon product ASIN B00E6EEEU8

Last edited:
I would try one of the underseat options. Measure your available space and purchase one from Amazon or Best Buy. Both have good return policies, if you don't like it. I've had good experience with Best Buy open box items at great prices. I usually purchase the ones rateded in "excellent" condition. Best Buy has a Kicker Brand open Box for $144. Good luck.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...