'06 Chevy Malibu stereo install

I'm completely new to this site. I'm going to sound like a complete idiot to most of you I'm sure, but please be kind.

My daughter has a 2006 Chevy Malibu. I'm trying to get a present for her for xmas without spending a fortune. I've found a decent enough stereo (JVC kd-avx1), but it's the install that's got me worried. My husband will be attempting to install the stereo. I've researched for hours on the additional accessories we will need. I'm most concerned about the adapter needed. Apparently she can use the Metra 99-3303 which retains the vehicles driver information center, but the cost is anywhere from $119 to $180. There is another adapter which does not retain the driver info center, the 99-3302, and it's significantly cheaper. My question is do I have to reinstall the Driver Info Center or is there some way I can bypass it and go with the cheaper adapter? Will bypassing it cause any problems?

Also, besides the adapter, what other things will I need to purchase - wiring kits, antenna, etc.

I've heard so many different things from so many different stores that I'm completely confused.

I would appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks for your response. The 99-3302 has a pocket instead of the info center. I don't really care about the info center, but I don't want anything to malfunction with the other car electronics if I don't hook that back up. So is it really okay to go with the 99-3302 instead of the 99-3303? I hope so, because that will save me a lot. Thanks again.

the wiring harness is the expensive part and its all because of the info center. if you get an aftermarket stereo you will need a new faceplate piece to cover up the extra space that isnt needed for the aftermarket one. if you go to crutchfield.com you can get all of it in a package deal and they set it up based on your car. the cheapest i found was 249.99 and thats with everything needed and a warranty, and i also have an 06 chevy malibu

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.