01 Lincoln Town Car Infinite Baffle Bandpass (slow build)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Heavy_Sixer

2001 Lincoln Town Car with bone stock audio. I got a Pioneer DEH-P4200UB head unit pretty quick. The dash kit and wire harness were already with the HU since I pulled it out of my older Town Car before the insurance company towed it away. The dash kit and wire harness were both Metra brand, I can try and find part numbers if anyone needs them. My wife has slashed my car audio budget so I will be trying to make due with stuff I have already, like re-using the head unit. I have a job, wife, kids, and a mortgage so this is going to be a slow build using mostly 10-20 year old equipment I've hung on to over the years. No state of the art new stuff here, just being resourceful making what I already have sound good. I like posts with pictures so I will try to have plenty.

Once the HU was in I could EQ the stock speakers to sound passable but they really needed to be relieved of bass duty, which meant time for a sub. Last month we had a day of good weather and on my lunch break I ran RCA's from the deck SUB OUT and two runs of 12 gauge wire from an Add-a-Circuit on the 15 amp radio fuse under the dash (I know it's not the right way but I didn't have time to go through the firewall).

The RCA's carrying the sub signal and one power wire went to my 30 year old MTX RT-A225 amp (2x25WRMS NOT bridgeable, NOT 2 ohm stable). The speaker outs from the MTX go to 4 ohm resistors (to help set amp gain) then went into a cute little Kicker amp that was used in a Dodge Magnum. The tiny Kicker amp was part of the dealer installed Kicker Premium package that ran a single 1 ohm 10” sub and got signal from the factory wires for the rear speakers. The tiny amp is rated 100 WRMS @ 1 ohm. Link here for more info on the amp.

https://www.parts-express.com/kicker-100w-car-audio-stereo-input-sub-amp-with-housing--269-175

For some temporary thump I used some old 12” home speaker cabinets and blocked off the mid and tweeter holes with scrap wood and loaded a pair of old school DVC Cerwin Vega XL12-D’s. I wired the each DVC Vega coil in parallel for a 2 ohm load and wired both boxes in parallel for a final 1 ohm load to get 100 watts total or 50 WRMS to each Vega 12.

I had this same amp/box/sub combo in my Grand Prix winter beater and I could EQ flat and smooth from 100hz down to about 40hz and would max out at 124 db. Unfortunately this same set up could only squeak out 118db in the Lincoln.

That 6 db difference wasn’t a surprise to me. I’ve had other Lincolns and big Mercury’s and they all stink when it comes to cabin gain or transfer function. Looking in the trunk you can see a thick wall that covers the fuel tank and blocks the lower part of the rear seats. That wall also blocks a lot of sound from making it into the passenger cabin.

To get around this cabin gain issue I needed to get as much sound directly into the passenger area as possible. Back in the 90’s I built a few installs free air or infinite baffle mounting subs to fire into the rear seats or built bandpass boxes that vented though the rear deck 6x9 opening.

Since the space under the rear deck wasn’t very tall and the back of the seat was mostly covered with steel I decides a bandpass vented through the rear deck would be the way go. After measuring and crunching the numbers I had about 3 cubic feet net to work with under the rear deck. With the subs I had already I knew I could make a pair of 10”s or 12”s fit but I wanted MORE!!

I had a half dozen free air Pioneer 10”s from a never happened build that were sitting around but I couldn’t make the fit under the rear deck and then the idea hit me INFINITE BAFFLE BANDPASS! Build a 4th order band pass and use the 3 cubes under the rear deck as the vented front box and seal off the rest of the trunk to act like a huge sealed rear chamber. To make sure the idea works I decided to build a test box with only 3 of the 10”s. Modeling the box was tricky since from experience I knew a sealed trunk never acts like a sealed box, there are always leaks but how leaky varied from car to car.

The box under the rear deck was made out of some particle board shelving I got for free. I had to notch the bottom board to clear the wire harness for the fuel pump and the eyelet for the spare tire hold down.

I also had to move the tension rods (spring rods) for the trunk lid. There are 3 notched to adjust the rods and they had to move to the top notch to clear the box.

I used a wood rasp to file off the edges of the box to get a tight slide in pressure fit under the rear deck. I don’t have a router but ¼ or ½ in round over would have worked even better. Once the box is in place under the rear deck I marked where to cut for the ports.

The trunk rods also get in the way of the ports to the rear deck. My car has 6x8 openings on the sides and 7” hole in middle for the optional factory sub. Unfortunately the spring rods block part of the openings and only let you get a 4” port in the center opening and 3” ports on the 6x8 holes. Once marked, I slide the box out of the car, cut holes, test fitted the port tubes, and slide it back under the rear deck.

I made my own ports out of thin wall PVC pipe and flared the ends. The youtube vids that show how to make your own flared ports with a metal bowl and a heat gun have it WRONG! The metal bowl is the wrong shape, it will make the end of the tube wider but can’t make a nice radius flare shape. I use a bunt cake pan. The pan I have makes perfect flare in 4” PVC and ok flare for 3”. I’m still looking to a bigger pan to make 6”ports.

I cut the ports a little short to make sure the flares would fit under the rear deck cover and speaker grills. I figured I’d cut longer ones once I knew how close the fit would be.

Once the ports were in I wired the woofers and mounted them in. I already had the amp gain set. I played a few test sweeps and tones, check polarity, no rattles, etc., and everything checked out.

From the sweeps it sounded like the box peaked above 60hz, cued up 60hz tone and let it rip. 126db, played a 65hz tone next and got a 127db with hard clipping. Played around with more tones but that 65hz was the magic number. That’s right, 127db with less than 100 WRMS! The port tuning is higher that I planned but was very surprised by the numbers.

Listening and tweeking I could EQ the box smooth down to 40hz and man did it have some punch. Kick drum and 808 was tight with no hangover. There wasn’t any port noise at full volume above 40hz and the port noise only got bad 30hz and below.

A subsonic filter would really help out his little amp. I still need to try longer ports but I am happy how it turned out so far. The front door speaker don’t have enough mid bass to blend with this box so new door speakers will be coming sooner than I thought. Once I get the ports tweaked I’ll move on to the build for six 10”s. With this test box in I’ve figured out my 21 cu ft trunk has enough leaks that it acts more like a 90 cu ft box. Knowing this and the port tuning will make it easier to scale up and build the sextuple 10 box. Don't worry I plan on running a bigger amp for the 6 pack and running legit power and grounds. I just hope this isn't when the build really gets slow.

I've been thinking about that since I fired up this box. Best ideas so far: remove the spring tension rods and use an electric actuator to open and close the trunk lid $$$, widen the center hole for the factory sub and install a rectangular slot port, or run the spring rods through larger ports and seal around them. Having a subsonic filter will help a lot too.

Balls I forgot how stock speakers sound like @ss! With the extra bass I've been listening to more music in the car and realized how bad the stock speakers are. I had some time tonight so I dug out some old Dual 6x8's, patched the hole I poked in the surround when I took them out of my old car, and got them installed in the doors. It is amazing how cheap speakers can sound 20X better than the stockers.

Side by side it's funny to think a $30 pair of speaker are an upgrade but they sound so much better.

I still have plans to treat the doors and install some 6x9's but I don't have time to build the spacer/adapter ring right now and I could not take the stock speakers anymore. Sorry it was too dark and the pics of the speakers installed didn't turn out. With the door panels off it gave me a chance to size up how much Boom Mat I'll need and I measurement for my future adapter rings.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.