0 ohm load possible?

Lol...what sub is single 1?
TC sounds had several prototypes that were single 1. I had the opportunity to play with it and power it with a t30001bd, full gain...it was a 12" sub and took the amp without a problem, but a few minutes down the line tinsel leads gave out.

Some of you are not getting it... by definition a superconductor is a 'superconductor' when it has exactly zero resistance... and electrons can pass from one outer orbital to another with zero loss in energy...

Also, Plank was the first to demonstrate that our universe is quantized.. that means by definition there is a limit to absolute zero...

sorry kids but wikipedia is hardly the definitive resource on these topics
http://superconductors.org/

school taught me.

Wrong!
There is no resistance in absolute zero temperatures! they have been playing with this idea for sometime.
freeze dry your amps/subs at 0 Kalvin, get you a flux capacitor going at 8375298357 rms

BTW, my theories are based on the ideas of critical current and critical temperature.

With 0 ohms, what amount of current would flow?

basic ohm's law cannot be used here.

You are touching on something that does make sense here.
When current passes through a wire, it will heat up. This heat actually raises the impedance of the wire. Though it may be a minute amount and if proper gauge wire is used, an immeasurable amount.

Now when a driver moves, the movement as well as the passing current create great amounts of heat. This can greatly increase the resistance of a voice coil.

For SPL competition, a few have used Nitrous Oxide and a few other chemicals to spray the motors of the subs while playing to lomit this rise in impedance from heat.

Now the DD 99z does not have a big issue with this since the motor is completely open to the air.

But air resistance is the main culprit when talking impedance rise.
standard convection cooling really does not do much to wade off thermal compression of copper or aluminum. Alternate non-compressing materials would have to be used but there is nothing as efficient as those two so they are generally not used. We often think of "heat" as being the problem, heat is not the problem, the problem is resistive changes with heat. These do not always go hand in hand, but they do with copper and aluminum.

Like you said, you would have to freeze your motor to really combat it. For SPL this is really not a problem, we dont really care about thermal compression. You do one quick burp cold and you get your number, its going to be pretty **** close to perfect for the first spit section with or with compressing consequences. Repeat the burp over and over and you got problems. Any energy used to "fix" compression is probably not going to increase your initial SPL number. Where it really becomes valuable is for "sound quality" systems where varying parameters are not wanted. "Linear" is money for sound quality. Changing resistance is non-linear.

BTW, my theories are based on the ideas of critical current and critical temperature.
With 0 ohms, what amount of current would flow?

basic ohm's law cannot be used here.
what school taught you about superconductors ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Ohms law works just fine.. you have zero voltage drop across zero resistance.. current transfer is almost instantaneous as the electrons flow @ 2.99X10^8 m/s (the speed of light).

Current flow is what it is, and the more current you can feed, the more current will pass untill a critical point in the magnetic field around the superconductor is reached and the meissner effect breaks down. At this point it is no longer a superconductor.

Where it really becomes valuable is for "sound quality" systems where varying parameters are not wanted. "Linear" is money for sound quality. Changing resistance is non-linear.
which is why more voice coil is always better ! I'm sure you can attest that most drivers will have a minimum of 3db of power compression when given rated power for any extended period.

Also FYI to everyone... I believe if you are going to try cooling your sub motors with compressed gas you'd want to use nitrogen, which is inert...

Filling a sub box with nitrous oxide which is an oxident might not be a good idea since we are dealing with a significant amount of heat and enough voltage to create sparks.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Filling a sub box with nitrous oxide which is an oxident might not be a good idea since we are dealing with a significant amount of heat and enough voltage to create sparks.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
If you purge the box of oxygen then no oxidation will occur.

haunz...idk where you got this idea that absolute zero is an achievable temperature...I suppose you think its possible to accelerate matter to the speed of light, divide by zero and count to infinity too

haunz...idk where you got this idea that absolute zero is an achievable temperature...I suppose you think its possible to accelerate matter to the speed of light, divide by zero and count to infinity too
what I'm saying is that there is a real limit.. it is not like a number you can keep dividing by an infinate number of times. If you understood what quantization is and what the implications are you would understand.

If you want to say it's theoretical because it does not happen in nature and is not attainable in a lab thats fine... I'll agree... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Ultimate- if you think filling a box with nitrous oxide is a good idea by all means try it.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif but even if you did purge the box, oxygen is likely going to find it's way back in through the port..

Ultimate- if you think filling a box with nitrous oxide is a good idea by all means try it.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif but even if you did purge the box, oxygen is likely going to find it's way back in through the port..
I never said I'd do it, and I was talking about a sealed enclosure... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.