0 guage wire to two 4 guage wire

Participant count
  • Participant list

tahoe45

nj
Hey everyone. I am in the process of installing another battery in my car. I want to hook up my amp wires to the new battery, but since it is further away the wires are too short. So I was gonna run a fused zero guage to the two 4 guage. I was going to get a fused distribution block but since both the zero and the 4 guage have fuses on them already can I just grab a bolt and connect the three ring terminals with it and then just shrink wrap. Not trying to go the cheap route just not a fan of how wires connect to distribution block especially since this will be in the engine bay. Does anyone see this as a problem.

If you plan to connect wires without a distro block, it would be best to get a torch and solder them all together then shrink wrap/tape. IMO bolting together ring terminals will be no better than a distro block (possibly slightly worse) and not look nearly as clean.

When it comes to electrical I'm of the opinion you should definitely not take short cuts or go the cheap route.buy longer wire.or a fire extinguisher
not car related but we came across this last week

11822970_677771965656818_7108183654741934523_o.jpg

Im not looking to cheap out or gehtto rig it. I looking to make a clean connection that will pretect the wires from the the elemnts of the engine bay. The 0 guage as well as the 4 guage have the ring terminal properly crimpled soldered and shrink wrapped. So the wire is protected from all the elements. the length from battery to the 4 gugae wire is about 5 feet. Originally i was just going to get longer 4 guage and extend it to the battery but then that leaves me with the issuse of the fuse being to far away from battery. So i read someone taking a zero guage wire and hooking it up to a fused distrobustion block and then added the four guage to that. Which I have no problem doing but since this is going to be installed in the engine bay alot of the distrobution blocks dont have the greatest seal. Example of block i was going to use.

NVX XFDBU2 Fused Distribution Block 0/1 Ga Input + 4/8 Ga Outputs .

So the other option i saw was

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00784HYI2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AB3RH2VK84JRX

which is basically the same thing as a bolt.

Search the electrical classifieds for a continuous run of 1/0 that fits your needs. How long is the run you need from battery to amp?

Zero guage to my amp would be overkill. The audio system is only taking about 500 watts so the 4 guage is more then enough. The reason i am adding the dual battery is for camping where i can run the radio and stuff off the aux wire (second 4 gauge wire) that is connected to the second battery. So I have left over zero gauge from the dual batt install and I am trying to aviod running new 4 gauge to the amp since it is only like five feet short. Thats why i was thinking of taking 5 feet of the left over zero gauge and run that to the 2 - 4 gauge wire. Which should be fine because the zero guage and the 2 - 4 gauge wires will be fused. I am just trying to find the cleanest and safest way to combine the zero and the 2 4 gauge wires. Hence the bolt idea cause that will alloe me the shring wrap it cleanely. I dont car for how it looks cause this is for more function then show.

okay gonna go the distribution block route and someone suggested marine grade batter coat and spray the terminal to prevent corossion. thanks everyone for all your help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.