Rock-FORD or Rock-VILLE

Participant count
  • Participant list

gmpisawresome

Currently looking at getting an amp for my solo baric s12l7 4-ohm DVC , which is rated at 750w RMS. Deciding between the Rockford 500x1d or the Rockville db14. Which is going to give better results? The Rockville gives out 1000 rms at 2 ohm, opposed to the ~600 the Rockford gives out. Should I go for the "lower quality" Rockville and have higher RMS to avoid clipping or go with Rockford to have better quality but possibly run into clipping? Also, will my cars 80 amp alternator and stock battery be able to handle either one of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
The rockville dynoed 985 watts rms clean and 1100 to clipping. 

I personally would take the Rockville due to it putting out more power. Always good to have headroom.  I bought two of the Rockville 4 channels just for shits and giggles and was actually impressed with them for $99 each. They did get hot though.

The rockville dynoed 985 watts rms clean and 1100 to clipping. 

I personally would take the Rockville due to it putting out more power. Always good to have headroom.  I bought two of the Rockville 4 channels just for shits and giggles and was actually impressed with them for $99 each. They did get hot though.
Well looks like Rockville it is then. Am I going to need a second battery, or can I run all this off my stock battery and 80 amp alternator? This system is right on the line of needing/not needing one from the calculations I did. I won't be bumping it hard all the time.

Well looks like Rockville it is then. Am I going to need a second battery, or can I run all this off my stock battery and 80 amp alternator? This system is right on the line of needing/not needing one from the calculations I did. I won't be bumping it hard all the time.
You will be fine on stock electrical. When it comes time for a new front battery just upgrade to a nice AGM.

You might want to look into HO alt options.  In the short term you should be fine, but the alt will run hotter which can only shorten its life.  I've blown through stock alts in a few months that were plenty large on paper.

In some cases decent HO alts aren't much more expensive than stock replacements, and it's never a good feeling to be away from home and watch your electrical system start shutting down because the alt just quit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.