is it possible to hook up (2) dual voice coil 12" subs to a 1 channel mono block

Participant count
  • Participant list

robinredd

CarAudio.com Newbie
im a girl and i have been going threw amps and i just can not get the sound im looking for but i have a few  speakers, subs, and amps and im not a professional by far but im always finding myself disconnecting the power wire so i can change speakers  around with the amps trying to get more sound . the one amp i used for my  dual coil sub woofer was a dual 4 channel i had one coil bridged to 1 and 2 channels and the other coil bridged to 3 and 4 but during a speaker change i accidentally hooked up a positive and a negative together on a positive on the amp . now the subwoofer amp doesnt work. it doesnt show protect mode light but the channels im pretty sure dont work . if i blew the channels shouldn't the protect light come on? i dont have a clue so im asking.  i got this other amp a power acoustic i talk about below . im would like to hookup the 2 subs to it but im not sure if this will even work and if so just exactly how do i wire the speakers to the amp kinda in detail please. thank you robin

i have a DB Drive Platinum PLT12D

GENERAL

• Speaker System Type
    car subwoofer driver
  • Additional Features
    dual voice coil
  • Manufacturer
    DBtechnologies

SPEAKER SYSTEM

• Amplification Type
    passive
  • Speaker Driver Diameter
    12"
  • Speaker Driver Diameter (metric)
    305 mm
  • Nominal Output Power
    750 Watt
  • Max (RMS) Output Power
    1500 Watt
  • Nominal Impedance
    1/4 Ohm
  • Sensitivity
    86 dB
  • Connectivity Technology
    wired

AUDIO SYSTEM

• Type
    subwoofer driver

HEADER

• Brand
    db Drive
  • Product Line
    db Drive Platinum Series
  • Model
    PT12D2
  • Packaged Quantity

SPEAKER SYSTEM DETAILS

• Speaker Type
    car subwoofer driver
  • Speaker Qty
  • Car Speaker Diameter
    12"
  • Car Speaker Diameter (metric)
    305 mm
  • Nominal (RMS) Output Power
    750 Watt
  • Input Impedance
    1/4 Ohm
  • Connectivity Technology
    wired
  • AND I HAVE A  
  • CLARION 600 WATTS 12 INCH PRO-AUDIO SRW1283 SUBWOOFER
  • CAN I HOOK THE 2 SUBS TO A
  •  Power Acoustik RZR1-2500D 2500W Max Class D Monoblock 
  • 900w x 1 at 4 ohms 1,400w x 1 at 2 ohms 2,500w max power 

im a girl and i have been going threw amps and i just can not get the sound im looking for but i have a few  speakers, subs, and amps and im not a professional by far but im always finding myself disconnecting the power wire so i can change speakers  around with the amps trying to get more sound . the one amp i used for my  dual coil sub woofer was a dual 4 channel i had one coil bridged to 1 and 2 channels and the other coil bridged to 3 and 4 but during a speaker change i accidentally hooked up a positive and a negative together on a positive on the amp . now the subwoofer amp doesnt work. it doesnt show protect mode light but the channels im pretty sure dont work . if i blew the channels shouldn't the protect light come on? i dont have a clue so im asking.  i got this other amp a power acoustic i talk about below . im would like to hookup the 2 subs to it but im not sure if this will even work and if so just exactly how do i wire the speakers to the amp kinda in detail please. thank you robin
hi robin, that was one heck of a long post lol

anyways, yes its definitely possible to do that. i have 2 rockford dual voice coil subs that ive hooked up to a mono amp. there are a few things to be mindful of tho. make sure that the way youre wiring the subs doesnt end up in a ohm load lower than what the amp is designed to handle nor too high to make the amp not put out the power it can when wired correctly. your subwoofers will say their impedance on them somewhere, whether its on the magnet or near the terminals. likely 2 ohm or 4 ohm. most newer mono amps that are worth a ____ are capable of handling a 1 ohm load, so i hope your subs are dual 4 ohm.

also, watch this video about your amp to see what it can actually do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd7Ybwft0VM

also, hooking up a positive and a negative together on a positive on the amp shouldnt do anything as long as you didnt have other stuff also wired to it. also, a 4 channel isnt ideal for subwoofers anyways. I have one of the bigger 4 channels made in recent history, and id not run it on subs. I cant recall what that amp you got actually makes for power, but it is far better than a dual 4 channel

...i accidentally hooked up a positive and a negative together on a positive on the amp . now the subwoofer amp doesnt work. it doesnt show protect mode light but the channels im pretty sure dont work .
Does the amp power on? Does it have any fuses, might want to check those with a multimeter IF they don't look baked...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.