youdoofus

its cheap, but is it that bad?

so, we all know we get folks in here all the time looking for an inexpensive bass solution.  Im just curious about how bad off people would be getting something like this for under $400. Mr Blankenship just showed on his most recent youtube vid that the amp in this kit makes good power, albeit missing some silicone around the torroids. $5 fix and should be in business as long as its also not mounted to the box.

I also know some of you are going to basically be in an ALL CAPS RAGE about prefab boxes, but for under 400, is this such a bad option?

https://www.audiosavings.com/rockville-w15k6d4-v2-15-4000w-subwoofer-vented-sub-box-mono-amplifier-amp-kit

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

It would probably be a good solution for someone....

Head Unit: Pioneer Avic-5201NEX

Amplifiers: Orion XTR1000.4, Alphard DB-2000.1D

Front Speakers: Infinity Perfect 600 Components

Rear Speakers: Image Dynamics ID6.5

Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio 12TW3-D4

I'm all about it as long as it comes with some Rockville stickers?

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial jbl s3 10 1.0 @ 32 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab.

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amp RF t1000.5ad infinity k1000 morel primo 10s @ 1.1 each @35hz or type s 15 3.5 @ 30hz or type s12 1.55 @ 36 hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Sub is weird -- EBP makes it look like a sealed box or HUGE ported box sub.

It plots OK sealed, big.

Ported -- if you assume it's tuned high like most prefab's (~40?) it will be peaky at 50-60hz, dropping about 8dB from 56 to 35hz.  That might work out ok if there's some cabin gain in the lower freq's.

I could see mechanical issues if you're trying to blast Techmaster (mid 30's and down).

Decent amp, decent sub (it seems), functional box -- for $360 shipped seems like it would be hard to lose if you're looking for a budget 15" set up.

Edited by n2audio

'04 Chrysler Town & Country (it was cheap and I have a family)

• HU: Stock - Scosche SLC-4
  • Comps: Lanzar Opti6c w/Opti400x4d
  • Rear fill: Stock
  • Sub: Lanzar Opti1232D 3cf 29hz w/Zed Opti1000.1d

26 minutes ago, n2audio said:

Sub is weird -- EBP makes it look like a sealed box or HUGE ported box sub.

It plots OK sealed, big.

Ported -- if you assume it's tuned high like most prefab's (~40?) it will be peaky at 50-60hz, dropping about 8dB from 56 to 35hz.  That might work out ok if there's some cabin gain in the lower freq's.

I could see mechanical issues if you're trying to blast Techmaster (mid 30's and down).

Decent amp, decent sub (it seems), functional box -- for $360 shipped seems like it would be hard to lose if you're looking for a budget 15" set up.

that was my thought too. just thinking of the influx of newbs on here that might benefit from these cheap packages as long as theyre properly warned about the possibility of it crapping out as its a very entry level package

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

better than the janky craigslist deals.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Ehh. Could do two FU 300 12s, Rockville DB14, KNU 0 gauge BASSIK kit, wood/glue/screws or even a prefab for $365.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

the amp and sub are fine the box is tuned at 45hz, if they'd just make that port longer it'd be ok

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

38 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

An amp with loose parts is not ok

Yeah, like the brand new board I got in my bass 12k that had a f*****g loose cap in it. Had to pull the whole board out and solder it back in from the bottom. Pain in the ass

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

39 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

An amp with loose parts is not ok

thats why i was talking about the silicone. 

1 hour ago, Popwarhomie said:

Ehh. Could do two FU 300 12s, Rockville DB14, KNU 0 gauge BASSIK kit, wood/glue/screws or even a prefab for $365.

this is why i was posting this. wasnt sure if there was a better option for the $$. just trying to lay out some stuff for the newbs that come on here and ask what to get for around $400 or so

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

3 minutes ago, wew lad said:

Yeah, like the brand new board I got in my bass 12k that had a f*****g loose cap in it. Had to pull the whole board out and solder it back in from the bottom. Pain in the ass

yeah, its a shame that the amps are like that. if they get their build house to secure that sh1t down properly, then theyd be a steal for the price. The older kiddo is driving now and i have a pair of walmart kicker 10"s in a dual branded bandpass and i have that alpine mono hooked up to it. It bumps, but its all stuff scavenged from trades and so forth

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

AB DX 10s or 12s or Blaupunkt 10s or 12s ($50-$118)

AP APMI 1k amp  ($110)

KNU or Sky High 4ga ofc kit ($62-65)

Leftover $$ for box with a $350 budget ($65-$110)

I would do the Blau 10s with a self made custom ported box for a total of about $275 assuming $50 material costs.

Edited by THATpurpleKUSH

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, youdoofus said:

thats why i was talking about the silicone. 

this is why i was posting this. wasnt sure if there was a better option for the $$. just trying to lay out some stuff for the newbs that come on here and ask what to get for around $400 or so

i'd even say swap the rockville for pioneer 8601 or 9601 not lot $ diff + 2 fu 300 or alpine s or 1 fu750, sa or similar.. it's the box that cost  unless they can make a good one

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

On 9/11/2018 at 5:37 PM, BOOMINGRANDPA said:

i'd even say swap the rockville for pioneer 8601 or 9601 not lot $ diff + 2 fu 300 or alpine s or 1 fu750, sa or similar.. it's the box that cost  unless they can make a good one

dynos tell a different story. You wont get anything better making those lateral transitions. That box has low port area so its more like 35-38hz definitely not 45hz.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:41 AM, youdoofus said:

so, we all know we get folks in here all the time looking for an inexpensive bass solution.  Im just curious about how bad off people would be getting something like this for under $400. Mr Blankenship just showed on his most recent youtube vid that the amp in this kit makes good power, albeit missing some silicone around the torroids. $5 fix and should be in business as long as its also not mounted to the box.

I also know some of you are going to basically be in an ALL CAPS RAGE about prefab boxes, but for under 400, is this such a bad option?

https://www.audiosavings.com/rockville-w15k6d4-v2-15-4000w-subwoofer-vented-sub-box-mono-amplifier-amp-kit

I remember years ago like early 1990's when on the Usenet newsgroup Rec.Boats.Paddle and people would post about Coleman canoes and everyone would start telling them how much better they could do and I'd be like, Well it beats standing on the shore wishing!

John Kuthe...

2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"

Alpine CDE-153BT HU

Alpine PXA-H800 DSP

Alpine PDX-V9 main amp

Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp

4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange

2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!

JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms

Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, youdoofus said:

snip

I just completed a low budget build for my friend. I'm sure its a little better then that pre-made kit that you linked but who knows without a back to back comparison.

Parts list:

• Rockville DB14 1000w RMS - $120
  • 12" Cerwin Vega V122D Subwoofer - $100
  • Ported box - $50
  • Boss Audio wiring kit - $19
  • Boss 2 Farad Capacitor - $30
  • Misc. connectors - $12
  • Total = $331

I should mention that he has a $400 Kenwood headunit (not sure which model) with a factory bose 8 speaker sound system. The way I look at it, 10-20 years ago it would take 3 times the money to get the same experience. I'm impressed with the result. Got 130db out of it so far in his Audi A4. A bigger box should net another 5-8db. Its utterly amazing what you can get from a cheap setup.

I recently purchased two Pyle PLB8 8" subwoofers ($19) to try out the ultra low buck equipment. Sadly, I'm impressed with those two. Got 114db out of them earlier today. Sound like shit though  :)

1 minute ago, Bangler said:

I just completed a low budget build for my friend. I'm sure its a little better then that pre-made kit that you linked but who knows without a back to back comparison.

Parts list:

• Rockville DB14 1000w RMS - $120
  • 12" Cerwin Vega V122D Subwoofer - $100
  • Ported box - $50
  • Boss Audio wiring kit - $19
  • Boss 2 Farad Capacitor - $30
  • Misc. connectors - $12
  • Total = $331

this was pretty much the point of this post, to get options out there for new folks and just to see what can be done on the super cheap as well. I had also been wondering what rockville was all about as i see them on the top of this site below the url in the ads section all the time and i know ive never invoked the curse of the cookies LoL. ive been wanting some good cheap power for the kiddos first system too, that alpine only puts out about 230 watts, but theose kickers i got arent capable of handline much more than that LOLOL!! i should sell them and get him something better

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

22 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

this was pretty much the point of this post, to get options out there for new folks and just to see what can be done on the super cheap as well. I had also been wondering what rockville was all about as i see them on the top of this site below the url in the ads section all the time and i know ive never invoked the curse of the cookies LoL. ive been wanting some good cheap power for the kiddos first system too, that alpine only puts out about 230 watts, but theose kickers i got arent capable of handline much more than that LOLOL!! i should sell them and get him something better

Infinity k600 jbl gtx. Is a good deal probably more reliable than Rockville or similar brands. 

I picked up a couple of k600s open box on crutchfield for 120 but crutchfield outlet prices fluctuate 

That k1000 pretty reasonable. Just ordered 1 yesterday. Jbl version is even cheaper but no ss filter 

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial jbl s3 10 1.0 @ 32 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab.

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amp RF t1000.5ad infinity k1000 morel primo 10s @ 1.1 each @35hz or type s 15 3.5 @ 30hz or type s12 1.55 @ 36 hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now