Certain subwoofers

shredder2

CarAudio.com VIP
Az
I am tired of over-hyped and beefy 8's drawing interest (and buyers) into thinking that whatever goals they are after are gonna be met with the driver they bought (probably on sale), That it will kill it and get low when for a great price IMO the options really open up and REAL quality and ratings are available.

The other day I followed a vs thread and the SSA F8L was discussed, THAT sub models up nicely and pretty much looks like a super deal for the $.

Now building an enclosure for a set would be something left to the intermediate builder at least as port area/length sufficient to meet SSA's recommendations is tricky due to excursion/power handling IMO... but worth it... I'll be picking up a set for the ol' lady's ride in the near future I think.

On the other end of the spectrum there is certain drivers that portray themselves as LOW frequency transducers but model up as garbage.

Anyone else run into this dilemma?.. I'm tryin to assist people but when the parameters don't work and give a cruddy result... what else can I do except digress.

This was a bear to design... but with a certain result (it actually modeled up well)...

7DHWGg.jpg

Marketing... lol

my take, get 1 big sub, build a good sealed box, feed it the right power and enjoy. no need for complicated setups.

ive had my RE SE for like 9 years, still love it

What other subs was the vs thread on?

I built a 1.5cf box for 2 sa8’s and a folded horn (modeled for 2 DD 1508’s) and the horn as loud over a larger bandwidth and was smaller. It did unload if I opened the trunk though.

I’ve seen subs model up poorly but preform great

my take, get 1 big sub, build a good sealed box, feed it the right power and enjoy. no need for complicated setups.
That is what I did, and I am well pleased with my set-up, I know that I am because my wife told that I am.

Meh some speakers work well. Others not so much.

I built a isobaric 4th order with 4 6.5 silverflutes that you would swear was a bigger sub. Was only running 500ish watt to them. Ended up wrapping it in leather with brass corner protectors a couple suit case handles and sold it to a office guy with a vette. He wasn't looking for much and the 1cube enclosure was tiny

Still to this day want to try the same thing with the anarchy mods. But I doubt I get lucky like that again. Was really just screwing around the first time

Some people enjoy making installs more complicated than they have to be, trying to squeeze every last db out of their substage. I guess that's part of the hobby.

Me? K.i.s.s. I ran the same setup for nearly a decade and was perfectly content. Sealed box, pair of 12's on ample power =

Some people enjoy making installs more complicated than they have to be, trying to squeeze every last db out of their substage. I guess that's part of the hobby.
Me? K.i.s.s. I ran the same setup for nearly a decade and was perfectly content. Sealed box, pair of 12's on ample power =
You make a very good point.

But when I was chasing numbers I had to try different things chasing that 1/10th. Now it’s simple and perfect. I just started changing stuff after 3 years. I’ve never lasted 3 years.

What would be nice is if most manufacturers provided better enclosure designs instead of just volume and port info. I get that printing big manuals gets expensive but they can post designs online. Bonus points for showing said enclosures measured performance.

But the reality is most manufacturers are just labeling someone else's product.

What other subs was the vs thread on?I built a 1.5cf box for 2 sa8’s and a folded horn (modeled for 2 DD 1508’s) and the horn as loud over a larger bandwidth and was smaller. It did unload if I opened the trunk though.

I’ve seen subs model up poorly but preform great
Hds and skar zvx I think... ya, the enclosure has a lot to do with whatever you're gonna get as the result I agree. But when a simple ported is requested with a low tune and the driver looks like garbage, high group delay, excursion issues, loss of power handling etc... why market the thing as a low frequency driver a 40-50hz tune is what it really likes?

Really I believe an 8 is for a last option when space is an issue unless multiple drivers and a complicated setup is what you are willing to do. You can't really expect too much when the cone area is so limited and even quality drivers compromise coil size, Spider/softies, coil depths, basket, xmax limitations, etc... some do it better than others I agree but still don't get low as well as a larger driver that's built to get loud and low and handle some power while doin' so. IMHO an 8 CAN be used to get there but only if you realize the results will be limited due to cone area. Jeez people think a set of 8's will compare to whatever they see on YouTube, 4 hds 8's on 7K for example... lol. And even then the video in question lacked any real flex or apparent loudness, just woofer movement IMO. Telling people their goal is unwise or not within the scope of reality constantly is tedious.

Different enclosure types can either enhance range, make it loud at a narrow frequency or just be musical but there's just no getting around the cone area thing. Hi-xmax and power handling can and does obviate the loss of cone to an extent but in the end it still is just an 8 or maybe a set.

That vid with the 8's on 7K would be a lil' different with a set of 12's being driven at least. Built to get low and handle the power the 12's with better coil size, length, suspension, baskets... etc would be getting down on 7K and I'd wager that some flex would be easily visible in the video. Maybe it's me, I just think anything under a 10" sub just is not a true sub (oh, there are exceptions, but even those are compromises) the F8L I looked at seems to be a great result if $199 ea is in your budget. All those $70-120 8's I see being sold that look allright really wont perform to what most people want or expect without using 4 drivers. A SQish install can use 8's to fill in the lower ranges but will never get really loud... and thats my point, people buy these things, expect to throw 1500 watts on em and it'll turn out as some windshield cracking, body flexin' low frequency monster... Just my .02

Ive never ran anything smaller than a 10 on a daily. I tried a pair of type R 8s, and still never seemed to impress me on any low notes.Tried 4 different enclosures, never met my criteria

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.