Quick tune question

Participant count
  • Participant list
Should get you about as close as any other method I suppose. In my mind, if you're playing music set your gains by ear while playing music, if you're trying to compete set your gains with the SPL meter.

You don't listen to music with a DMM nor do you look at a DMM to compete. Use the correct tool for the job.

Correct me if I’m wrong.
To send 1200rms to my two 10s wired to 1ohm..

I have to take the square root of 1200 which is 36.4

Hook up my meter to speaker terminals run a 50hz tone @ my max un-clipped volume and adjust the gain to the 36.4volts?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah that is the way but i got 34.6v.. just don't go over same hu volume u set it at unless u play song with very little bass,, also what amp is it because many if not most these days don't do rated power and if u set it to high it will be clipping..

More info:

Headunits a kdc x497 by Kenwood. Highest volume I go is 30 out of 35..

I’m guessing it doesn’t clip there by ear but not certain..

Not sure why I typed the 36v meant the 34v..

And the amp is an m1d.

More info:
Headunits a kdc x497 by Kenwood. Highest volume I go is 30 out of 35..

I’m guessing it doesn’t clip there by ear but not certain..

Not sure why I typed the 36v meant the 34v..

And the amp is an m1d.

i thought u just typed wrong but wanted to be sure. yeah i stay 28-30 hu volume too.. yeah it should do rated as long as u have good wire and strong enough alt maybe big 3 wires anywhere 33.6 - 35 should put u really close.. i turn up hu sub volume if i play rock and if i play 30hz rebassed tracks keep it down and sometimes keep hu at 28..

That 3/4 head unit volume recommendation is outdated. Most head units nowadays go up to 90% or 100% volume without clipping. All that 3/4 volume setting is going to do is force you to raise the gain way too high on your amp.

Fk the multi-meter raise it up till it stops getting louder or starts changing tone/pitch of bass then back the gain up a couple of notches. then play and smell closely by ear and touch/feel the amp and sub to measure heat along with checking voltage drops.

You dont listen to a 0 db test tone with music, music constantly changes and your overall volume/sub level should change accommodating the type of music you listen to.

That 3/4 head unit volume recommendation is outdated. Most head units nowadays go up to 90% or 100% volume without clipping. All that 3/4 volume setting is going to do is force you to raise the gain way too high on your amp.
Fk the multi-meter raise it up till it stops getting louder or starts changing tone/pitch of bass then back the gain up a couple of notches. then play and smell closely by ear and touch/feel the amp and sub to measure heat along with checking voltage drops.

You dont listen to a 0 db test tone with music, music constantly changes and your overall volume/sub level should change accommodating the type of music you listen to.
u think it's better to set hu at say 33 and gain lower than the other way?

u think it's better to set hu at say 33 and gain lower than the other way?
It would be better as long as you know the HU doesn’t clip. Depends on HU. You’re gonna have to use an oscilloscope or a DD-1 to find out. Thats why people generally say 3/4 to be on the safe side because not all HU are the same. It’s always better to use more pre out and less gain.

It would be better as long as you know the HU doesn’t clip. Depends on HU. You’re gonna have to use an oscilloscope or a DD-1 to find out. Thats why people generally say 3/4 to be on the safe side because not all HU are the same. It’s always better to use more pre out and less gain.

In that case, where does one go to DD-1 their deck?

And would me powering my doors off the deck effect anything?

almost all kenwoods, alpines and pioneers i've recently tested 2017/2018 models so far have been extremely clean on the RCA outs at high to max volumes. Kenwoods i'd recommend around 33 out of 35, its the only one and thats about 95% of the way up. that got a bit dirty at 35 mark. All pioneer double dins i've tested are clean 40 out of 40. the alpine 164 bt is clean at max volume too. When i said 90% I was already being extra cautious.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.